Do you have all of your products installed all the time?

The most newb of all newb questions...

In a very short period I have procured an embarrasingly large number of products.  

As I was struggling to find some things I realized that, possibly, I don't need to have everything installed all the time. The Install Manager can uninstall and reinstall packages with a few clicks.  

I'm wondering if my new workflow is to only install the packages I will need for a particular render and leave the rest uninstalled.  Is there a value to that?

Or...

Is it a hassle to have to install whatever packages are necessary for a render (did I use this hair or that hair?)

Or...

Maybe I'm just not using Daz correctly.

In a similar thought...

Should I install all my packages to a removable drive so that if I get a new computer I don't have to download and install everything, get it all just right, again...

Pro Tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited October 2019

Yes

all 11K in DIM of them

twice

I do have a 4TB external drive though on one computer 

the other one is on the C drive for now but will be moving them

I cannot afford another 4TB external for now!

(is about 1.3 TB btw but need room for expansion devil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

Yes

all 11K in DIM of them

twice

the other one is on thd C drive for now but will be moving them

11k...  

*sigh*

And here I felt guilty crossing into 1,200 land...  

Question: do you change how you organize your products? Group them, put them in folders, make spreadsheets?   

How do find that one product you know you have but dang if it's not hiding somewhere...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited October 2019

No I search using Everything 

https://www.voidtools.com/en-au/

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

No I search using Everything 

Thanks for the great answers!!! 

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078

I do have everything installed, but with longer and longer load times, I'm beginning to think that this is a mistake. :D

As for finding stuff: I use the Daz site, list my owned items in the category I'm interested in (figures, exteriors, female clothes, etc.), and then it's very easy to find the product in Daz Studio by productname.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550

I have all mine installed also. Woudn't make sense to me to install only what i need as i never really know what i need till i use it and many times I start a scene by looking thru my content library to see what catches my eye.

I have all mine installed also. Woudn't make sense to me to install only what i need as i never really know what i need till i use it and many times I start a scene by looking thru my content library to see what catches my eye.

I also do this but am trying to imagine if maybe I need to use an old machine for browsing and selecting content and the fancy new one for rendering/building. That way I get to get extra miles out of the old one while using the spiffy new one for horsepower.

That way I'd have all my content in one but only pull in the content I need in the new one.  

Not sure it solves anything though.  

Geeze...the price one pays for having too much stuff. 1st world problem...

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113
    No, but that's because I've not bothered to invest in an external drive. :P
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited October 2019
    Aabacus said:

Yes

all 11K in DIM of them

twice

the other one is on thd C drive for now but will be moving them

11k...  

*sigh*

And here I felt guilty crossing into 1,200 land...  

Question: do you change how you organize your products? Group them, put them in folders, make spreadsheets?   

How do find that one product you know you have but dang if it's not hiding somewhere...

When I purchase something, I let DIM install it however it wants, and download a copy of the promo image to a folder on my desktop named "3D Stuff". In that folder I have subfolders such as "Clothing", Interiors", "Figures", and they have subfolders, like "Clothing/G3F/Gothic" etc.
    It becomes simple when looking for something to flip through the promos and then find that item in Content Library inside Studio.
    It may not be for everyone, but it works for me with 9000+ items in my runtime and another 3000+ from other places such as Rendo. Just make sure you give the images the same name as the product.

Post edited by Petercat on
  • TreyMTreyM Posts: 39

I've bought a 4TB 7200RPM HDD from Amazon for like £80-ish quid (in case you're curious, it was a Hitachi).

• I stopped with Daz for a number of years and I did not re-install all the older stuff. But then again: I do not want to create entire scenes but only  pose and render models for drawing and for photomanips.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

I probably have all my stuff installed. I use DIM now but I didn't at first so DIM only knows what it has installed. Every so often I go through the uninstalled stuff in DIM and install a few more.

I use custom categories to organise my stuff. If you start out doing this you only have to add new stuff as you get it.You can organise your categories however you want. and you can have things in more than one category without installing it more than once. So while the library has all of G8 Female's clothes in one big list I have seperated it into casual, formal, fantasy, uniforms etc. in my categories. This makes it much easier to find stuff when you have bought a lot of it.