[Released] The Roman Colosseum

ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550
edited November 2019 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Hi!

A fully modeled iconic Roman Colosseum is coming to the store.

The Colosseum was commissioned in 71-72 AD by emperor Vespasian and completed by his son and successor emperor Titus. It was originally known as "Amphitheatrum Flavium", after their family name Flavius.

The Colosseum is modeled as it was in its inaugural games in 80 AD, thus the underground catacombs are not included (Yet ;) ). The underground "hypogeum" was introduced later by Titus' brother and successor, Domitian.

The set includes the famous Facade (facia), inner corridors and hallways (vomitoria), seating area (cavea), sandy arena (harena), the shade circulating the Colosseum (Velarium), imperial etc boxes and lots of props like chairs, standards, a throne, bowls, torches and sconces, statues etc.

The model is in 1:1 scale to the original building and is modeled after extensive research and reconstruction of nowadays missing parts.

Included are 4K, 2K and 1K textures. Materials are heavily optimized to save vram. Parts not necessary can be hidden or deleted to further ease load from navigating and rendering. The set is huge, but also tested with a computer (MacBook Pro) without an Nvidia card and 8Gb or ram without problems.

The set is suitable for any gladiatorial scenes, races, half time shows ;) , even fantasy or scifi scenarios. It can be used in games and VR (with some tweaking, tested in Unity) with the interactive license.

Post edited by Protozoon on

Comments

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550

I made a some comparison of photos of the Colosseum and renders of the set at approximately the same place.

FacadeComparison.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    ComparisonCorridors.png
    735 x 1080 - 934K
    ComparisonCorridors2.png
    800 x 1212 - 2M
    ComparisonCorridors3.png
    782 x 1080 - 1M
    ComparisonCorridors4.png
    1484 x 978 - 2M
    ComparisonCorridors5.png
    759 x 500 - 614K
  • CometsComets Posts: 87

That is incredibly impressive. Well done.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

even with interior... I'm impressed yes

are there some kind off prison cells for animals or involuntary gladiators?

edited October 2019
    gerster said:

even with interior... I'm impressed yes

are there some kind off prison cells for animals or involuntary gladiators?

The underground cells and mechanisms are planned as an add-on.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,006

cedo. pecuniam meam tibi tradere libenter paratus sum. quando? quam celerrime, spero.

jash147 said:

cedo. pecuniam meam tibi tradere libenter paratus sum. quando? quam celerrime, spero.

Non longus.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

There are several other paid/free versions of this iconic building available... but none of them impressed me half as much as this. And the underground areas are coming? Excellent!

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Are the people watching in the stands or whatever they are called included

jedijudd said:

Are the people watching in the stands or whatever they are called included

They are simple two-sided billboards. Yes, they are included.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

It looks Amazing! I have a sad feeling I won't be able to buy it when it is released (depending on how soon etc) but I certainly will buy it as son as I can :) I do have a question though, is the tack and wagon for the horses also included? I don't think I've seen that tack anywhere, not sure if I seen a wagon like that either

Carola O said:

It looks Amazing! I have a sad feeling I won't be able to buy it when it is released (depending on how soon etc) but I certainly will buy it as son as I can :) I do have a question though, is the tack and wagon for the horses also included? I don't think I've seen that tack anywhere, not sure if I seen a wagon like that either

Hi! They are from ”i13 Greek Chariot” from the Daz store.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited October 2019

That looks absolutely awesome!!! Are you planning more ancient Rome inspired stuff? I would love to see that. Like a really nice Roman villa or "apartment block".

in any case this is going to be an instant purchase for me. 
    great work!

td 

Post edited by thd777 on
  • NNAPNNAP Posts: 35
    I would also like a Roman villa
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Bravo! You ALWAYS bring the authenticity in spades. I've come to expect nothing less from you.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    Protozoon said:
    Carola O said:

Hi! They are from ”i13 Greek Chariot” from the Daz store.

Oohh I had missed that, thank you. 

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

Extremely spectacular!  I'd be interested to know if you used any instancing?

Cheers,

Alex.

edited October 2019

Extremely spectacular!  I'd be interested to know if you used any instancing?

Cheers,

Alex.

Hi and thanks!

I sure did use instancing. Practically half of the thing is modelled and the other half instanced. Also lots of parts can be hidden separately. For example, you can load only one quarter of the facade if you need only it.

-P-

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Wow! Saepe nihil cogitas! Speechless.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

I think the fact that the audience is included is a significant bonus. There are quite a lot of arenas, theatres, meeting halls etc in the DAZ store, and populating these with an audience sitting on potentially hundreds of seats is a huge undertaking. Even using buildboards, low poly people or the like, the purchaser still has to position each person manually, which takes ages. With this product this work is already done.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790

I am flatend. This is so impressive. Top notch work.

• SwanSwan Posts: 134

Hallelujah!

The more Roman stuff, the better.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

This looks fantastic! Normally I would see something this complex looking and pass on it knowing full well that it would be a painful struggle trying to set up and render a similar type scene with it knowing how many resources it would eat up and what a tedious job it would be trying to optimize it. The promo images are amazing, but I have many of the addons you have in them and I can't imagine even trying to render a scene as complex as some of the promo images. Would you mind posting your PC specs?

edited October 2019

This looks fantastic! Normally I would see something this complex looking and pass on it knowing full well that it would be a painful struggle trying to set up and render a similar type scene with it knowing how many resources it would eat up and what a tedious job it would be trying to optimize it. The promo images are amazing, but I have many of the addons you have in them and I can't imagine even trying to render a scene as complex as some of the promo images. Would you mind posting your PC specs?

Hi!

I have tested the set also with a non-nVidia MacBook Pro with 8Gb of ram. Navigation is ok. Just make sure you have Daz Studio's "Edit/Preferences/Interface/Display Optimization" set to "Best" or "Better" (=OpenGL hardware acceleration on), navigation viewport Texture Shaded and instancing optimization set to "Memory". The promo renders are done with a 16Gb ram laptop with nVidia 1080 graphics card (8Gb vram).

I will post a video showing the scene navigation performance and a walkthrough of the set in 1st person view when the set is released.

In promo renders I used only Daz Studio's own sun/sky render settings and those settings are included in the set (geographical location of Rome for accurate sun/shadow angles). The full set without characters or addons in good lighting renders in well under 10 minutes with a 1080. Even on cpu rendering times are ok (at least in my opinion ;) I have a bit older I7-7700HQ processor ).

-P-

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

This looks amazing, @Protozoon. And I think it has a lot of use beyond the historical Roman setting too. Sci-fi, Fantasy, some of the hallways could even be used as a more modern "Trip to Rome" setting with the right background. Looking forward to you building on it too.

Also, TBH, love seeing you put to shame the people who discount Hexagon as not being a "professional" caliber modeling tool!

• SwanSwan Posts: 134
    edited October 2019
    Protozoon said:

I made a some comparison of photos of the Colosseum and renders of the set at approximately the same place.

I've been to the Flavian (and to Pompeii, Merida, Italica <(my favorite), Augusta Emerita, Tarragona - I'm an absolute zealot when it comes to Ancient Rome). You're doing a fantastic job. This is a first day buy for me. As somoene else posted, it has uses beyond the historical, but the fact that it appears to be accurate is a terrfiic bonus.

Though you might want to lose the steel handrail picutred here... :)

Post edited by Swan on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

WOW!

Laurie

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,006

And while we are talking ancient Rome, do spare a thought for Greece. A version of the Acropolis in Athens or a Mycenaean palace like Tiryns would be fantastic - even better if you could swap between reconstruction and ruin. And Delphi. Delphi would be wonderful (but I'd let you off doing the rather grotty modern town).

• TATSU 3DTATSU 3D Posts: 224

Absolutely stunning! I'm all in favour of more Roman content - how about some town buildings to go around this fantastic arena?

Also, when are you hoping to see this fully released?

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,027
    edited October 2019

will this come with spectators in the stands, or will we have to finagle that on our own?

Question was abnswered above. Thanks!

Post edited by mcorr on
  • Amazing work. Love the detail you put in to it.