Arg! Impossible to find content

So I have several environments installed which I can't find anywhere. I've spent the last hour trying to figure this out. When I look at the original content zip file, all the content is contained in a 'runtime' folder, which I merged with the runtime folder in my library. However the runtime folder does not appear in my content library pane, and neither does any of the content inside. I tried dragging the subfolder 'libraries' out of the runtime folder and into the main library folder, because this appears to contain all the content. However there is absolutely nothing inside this folder, that I can see, which is loadable content of any kind. I'm going nuts.

Comments

• When Daz is installed. All of Daz's stuff goes to Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/.

Your main library is Users/(Your Name Here)/ Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/. Install stuff there so you can always find it. Also put new runtimes you create in there.

EXAMPLE: "Genesis Stuff I Did" is the name of the folder. Now create a new folder inside called Runtime. And inside Runtime create the folders you need. Geometries, Libraries, Textures. Then inside Libraries create the rest. Chrarcter, Props, Pose. So now you can put you new Genesis stuff in Chararter or Props.

Inside Daz on the left where it shows runtimes. Just right click anywhere and you will see the option to add a base directory. Which is your "Genesis Stuff I Did" folder. Now you can see and click on it.

If Poser Formats is highlighted when you right click. It will give the option to add a runtime. Which is the same thing.

Basically. Get in the habit of making your own runtime folders.

• So I have several environments installed which I can't find anywhere. I've spent the last hour trying to figure this out. When I look at the original content zip file, all the content is contained in a 'runtime' folder, which I merged with the runtime folder in my library. However the runtime folder does not appear in my content library pane, and neither does any of the content inside. I tried dragging the subfolder 'libraries' out of the runtime folder and into the main library folder, because this appears to contain all the content. However there is absolutely nothing inside this folder, that I can see, which is loadable content of any kind. I'm going nuts.

If everything is in the Runtime folder then the content is in Poser format. You don't, and shouldn't, see the /Runtime/Libraries part - or the actual folders inside Libraries as folders - but if you look in the Content Library pane under Poser Formats, in the content directory in which you placed the files, you will see the actual libraries (the names don't always match - for example /Runtime/Libraries/Character actually appears as Figures) and within those you will find the folders with the files - environments will usually have fiels in both the Figure and the props libraries, at least, and may also have entries in Pose (which may include material files on older sets, as there used not to be a specific library), Materials (for newer sets), and perhaps Lights and Cameras (though those tend not to be useful in DS).

When Daz is installed. All of Daz's stuff goes to Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/.

Your main library is Users/(Your Name Here)/ Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/. Install stuff there so you can always find it. Also put new runtimes you create in there.

EXAMPLE: "Genesis Stuff I Did" is the name of the folder. Now create a new folder inside called Runtime. And inside Runtime create the folders you need. Geometries, Libraries, Textures. Then inside Libraries create the rest. Chrarcter, Props, Pose. So now you can put you new Genesis stuff in Chararter or Props.

Inside Daz on the left where it shows runtimes. Just right click anywhere and you will see the option to add a base directory. Which is your "Genesis Stuff I Did" folder. Now you can see and click on it.

If Poser Formats is highlighted when you right click. It will give the option to add a runtime. Which is the same thing.

Basically. Get in the habit of making your own runtime folders.

I'm not sure what you mean here - you should have only one Runtime folder in any content directory, and you should not have a content directory inside another content directory.

• Not being able to find stuff has been an issue since day one for many many years. I know how hard it can be for someone new.

Daz install manager is fine of course for putting things where they need to go. But again, new people don't know where things are installed.

What I did and learned from many people doing the same thing is. Creating your own runtimes saves you the hassle of trying to find something.

I have a runtime for all my characters. Aiko's, Victoria's, Genesis's. By adding a base directory. Yes, you see all the folders and learn how the structure goes.

By adding a poser runtime. Everything is nice and organized except for one thing.

If you downloaded an item, let's say from Sharecg. And it only comes in Daz format. You won't see it in the Poser runtime.

So, by adding the base directory. You can easily go to the folder where the item is, and load it up. Or, when one has enough experience in Daz. Create the Poser Companion files.

When it comes to buying from Daz. Let the install manager do its thing.

When it comes to buying or obtaining from somewhere else, or creating your own content. Then make your own runtimes for those. Keeping everything organized.

... oh, I forgot I was writhing on here lol. I started playing around with La Femme in Daz to see how she looks. Eh, not bad. She has her own shape and look.

Doesn't move of course. JCM controls.

Sorry if my mythod seems akward. But, it works.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited October 2019

However the runtime folder does not appear in my content library pane, and neither does any of the content inside.

Where in Content Library are you looking? There's a DAZ Studio Formats section, and a Poser Formats section. If your content .zip only has files in the Runtime folder, then it's Poser content, and you must look in the Poser Formats section.

I tried dragging the subfolder 'libraries' out of the runtime folder and into the main library folder, because this appears to contain all the content. However there is absolutely nothing inside this folder, that I can see, which is loadable content of any kind.

That's happening because the Libraries folder contains Poser files, and outside of Runtime you must only have D|S files. D|S does not show Poser files in the D|S section, or vice-versa.

Also, note that you're not supposed to see the actual Runtime folder anywhere in D|S. What you see in Content Library>Poser Formats is the contents of the Runtime folder. That's how it works in Poser, so D|S works the same way.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Richard you got me excited there thinking it was all going to be right there in the poser library folder but no, those folders are completely empty unfortunately : (

• Richard you got me excited there thinking it was all going to be right there in the poser library folder but no, those folders are completely empty unfortunately : (

Are you looking in the Content Library under Poser Formats>content folder used>Library name? Please post a screen shot of the empty folder, and the sequence of folders opened to reach it.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

Sounds like you do not have a path defined for the Poser Formats. Open the Content Directory Manager from Preferences (F2) -> Content, or from the Content Library context menu (upper right corner). Click on Poser Formats and then Add.. from the Directory buttons on the left. If you install everything to the same place, just add the same folder as the DAZ Studio Formats.

• I finally was able to find the poser content, however I still can't find the content which I had installed which I haven't been able to find : /

• Would anyone be willing to volunteer for me to send you the content package so you can try and figure out where it goes? It's incredibly frustrating having purchased content with no ability to find it weeks later.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

That would not be legal.   WEhn you buy content you are actually only buying a license to use that content,  you cannot transfer the usage to someone else.

I notice that all the way through this thread you have not named the products which you are having difficulty with.  It is quite possible that others have bought the same products and could help you, but they will need to know what you are struggling with.  Presumably, as you are posting in the Daz 3d Forums you purchased the products from the Daz 3D store.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982

What did you buy? You can try using the Product Readme section: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start

Most of the newer products have a section where it tells you where you can find things, for example: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/64841/start

• BeeMKay said:

What did you buy? You can try using the Product Readme section: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start

Most of the newer products have a section where it tells you where you can find things, for example: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/64841/start

After purchase the read mes can be accessed directly by right-click on the product (not its files) in DS and selecting More Information, or in Install Manager by clicking the i icon next to the product. You can also enter the SKU (from the product page) in the filter box for the Product tab of Smart Content (SKU::#####) and, if you have Filter By Selection unchecked, you will see the item in the Installed filter (along the bottom) if it is properly installed, and you can then double-click to open it and see its files.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,991
    edited November 2019

You can also go into your Product Library [in your Account] and manually download one of the zipped folders. Then extract the contents and see what went where.

n.b. the "Libraries" DOES belong under "Runtime" ... and it is important that it be there for content to show in D/S or Poser for that matter.

My Library > Runtime > Libraries ...

If there is a folder called Content, then all of that needs to be merged into Library. There is to be only one "data" folder for example.

Content = My Library

My Library > data > ...

My Library > People > ...

My Library > Props > ... [not to be confused with the Props folder which is in Libraries under Runtime, they are .pp2 files].

If the product you can't find are morphs, they are only shown in D/S when the correct figure is selected and/or part of the correct figure is selected.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on