The Carrara Challenge V: Movie Night --Winners Announced!--

124»

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790
    edited December 1969

I don't think I got it Stezza. I'll double check....
    Nope. I didn't get it. The forum trollz must have ate it! Try again!

I tried again lol.. ;-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

wow wow, what an exciting finish and a set of well deserved winners!!!

it's so great to see the diversity of talent that lurks in this forum,

great job EP, you did it with flair charm and elegance!

and thanks very much to Ringo for his generous support.!

really looking forward to seeing what the next one is Stu. :) :)

ep I have called in the plumber and cleared my in box a little, sorry about that!

It was full of PM''s from admiring Russian girls that I had forgotten about... (the Pm's not the girls) ! Svetlana will have to wait ...... :)

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

An idea is forming.....but be prepared.......for Rule No 1......Ambient light will be ZERO.......If you cant find the slider I will show you! ;-)

Long time ago Master Antoine Clappier the CEO of Eovia recommend that to get better looking render images Ambien Light should be set to ZERO. I do about 90% of my renders with Zero ambient light.....well the other 10% do need it cause they are outside scenes that use realistic sky.

;)

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 2013

Q1. Is it bad form to enter your own challenge?

Edit: Then I will disqualify 10 % of your entries Ringo! Muhahahah! mmmm I feel the power , perhaps I am turning to the dark side. :coolgrin:

Post edited by stu sutcliffe on
    edited December 1969

Ha ha no of course not it is required! You can even win it unless you put that in the rules that you cannot win :)

edited December 1969

Oh I just noticed Ringo is on sale today . Great :) I've had my eye on a lot of those shaders for ages .

http://www.daz3d.com/ringomonfort

edited December 1969

Stu I sent you a PM cheers :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Edit: Then I will disqualify 10 % of your entries Ringo! Muhahahah! mmmm I feel the power , perhaps I am turning to the dark side. :coolgrin:

Stu, you get to make the rules! (blessing and curse). There are plenty of people who are willing to help you with the basics. I am going to copy and paste some of the frameworks of previous contests. You are not bound by these, but it can get you thinking. Do what you want. A "wide open" challenge can be just as fun. The following are just examples of what other contest winners did. So far, people have been allowed to submit two entries, and a render has been required in Carrara (although postwork has been allowed, if a pre-postwork image is included). Another issue is mandatory content creation - it is not uncommon to require a few items to be either created or significantly modified in Carrara. 3rd party content has been allowed, if credited. Examples of the definition of this are included below.

Again, you don't have to have similar rules. These are provided to make it easier for you (hopefully).

examples of rules
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Garden Challenge
    “WELCOME TO MY GARDEN”.
    AIM: to produce a great render of a garden made of plants either modelled in Carrara (mesh room, metaball room, spline room, hair room smile ), or produced in Carrara’s plant room.
    The second aim is to foster a feeling of community spirit where we help each other to become better Carrara users.
    RULES - plants and rendering must be made in Carrara. If you use any premade objects etc for the non plant based parts of the scene please say what they were. Up to TWO entries can be made by each participant.
    CRITIQUE: Feel free to post WIP’s, give constructive critique or to ask for advice.
    If you don’t ant critique please say in your image post.
    Showing images before postwork and after postwork is encouraged but not necessary.
    DATES: the challenge will end 17th JUNE. 2013
    “WINNER” : as judged by open voting there will be First, Second and Third Place. An Honourable Mention will be chosen by Dartanbeck - one of our sponsors.
    PRIZES As well as a $50 coupon (good on DAZ3D items only) the overall winner will win the Carrara EnviroKit - Woodlands
    kindly donated by Dartanbeck! Thank you so much smile smile
    You can read all about this new kit here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16465/
    2nd Place will win a $30 coupon (good on DAZ3D items only )
    3rd Place wins a $15 coupon (good on DAZ3D items only)
    In addition the Honorable Mentioned will receive a $5 coupon code (good on DAZ3D items only)
    These coupons were kindly donated by Daz and will be part of the prizes for each monthly challenge!
    So thank you very much DAZ !
    Also the ‘winner’ as judged by voting, also has the honour of hosting the next challenge. Wink

In this Challenge You can use:
    1) Objects that come with Carrara (found in your Browser Objects Folder: From Aircraft to Writer.) ‘
    2) ONE item of non “humanoid” CONTENT can appear in your render.
    3) ANYTHING you made yourself, in any quantity. You can do ANYTHING to whatever you make yourself.
    CONTENT:
    1) The CONTENT element is optional.
    2) It CANNOT be any figure meant to represent a human being, or human like creature.
    You can, however, use any figure’s skeleton to rig something you find in the Carrara Objects folder.
    3) Content that has Multi Element Objects like an Aircraft Carrier with ten different Kinds of Lifeboats, an entire Medieval Town., a Blacksmith’s with an entire array of furniture and tools etc should be avoided.
    I’ll leave it up to the individual artist to make a distinction.
    4) Your Content Element can be used Once in the scene - (optical reflections aside)
    5) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder.
    6) Anything you made yourself is NOT content.

THE CARRARA OBJECTS

If you look in the HELP>OBJECT CATALOGUE drop down menu in the top bar of your Carrara, will find a link to a PDF that outlines all the Objects that come with Carrara. In your browser you will find them under Objects (Aircraft to Writer)
    They are mostly spline objects and perhaps some Primitives. None of them seem to have UV co-ords. They come with colours but no textures.
    You can do anything you like with these Objects that you like. The main thing is that the Carrara Object(s) is the starting point of your endeavors.
    POSTWORK?
    Yes? No? Postwork is for the artist to decide. The aim is to present your best work for public display, so if you feel that it is necessary or not, it’s your call.
    The other AIM of this Challenge is:
    1) To encourage a sense of community.
    2) To entice people out of the wood work.
    3) To learn from ourselves and others.
    4) To explore different parts of Carrara you might not have visited. For example rigging, texturing even the Carrara three d paint brush.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Challenge theme:
    PARADISE LOST AND FOUND
    I am leaving the interpretation wide open. It can be a subset “Paradise Lost” or “Paradise Found” or even “Paradise: Lost and Found [department]”. And any other permutation you can think of. If in doubt whether your interpretation still fits the theme, please ask, but as a general rule, inventive or humorous interpretations of the theme are very welcome.
    The aim is to have fun with the theme, while learning Carrara and showing off your artistic and Carrara skills.
    PRIZES:
    DAZ has been very generous in encouraging these Carrara Challenges and has offered to support us once a month!
    DAZ is donating:
    Ist Place: a $50 coupon
    2nd Place will win a $30 coupon
    3rd Place wins a $15 coupon
    In addition the Honorable Mention will receive a $5 coupon code.
    Please note that the coupons are for DAZ3D items.
    Update:
    I am happy to introduce our very generous PA sponsor for this month: Amazing long-time Carrara-supporting artist Age of Armour is kindly donating the following prizes:
    The winners will get to choose items from Age of Armour store at DAZ
    Ist Place: 3 items
    2nd Place: 2 items
    3rd Place: 1 item
    Age of Armour products are always creative, well thought through and perfectly crafted with extreme attention to detail. And now, thanks to his kind support of our cause and challenge, we have such amazing prizes to offer!
    Thank you Age of Armour!
    DEADLINE: 11:59 PM UTAH Time on September 7th 2013 Please see rules for details.
    RULES:
    - All renders must be done in Carrara. *
    - Artists can post up to 2 (two) entries.
    - At least 1 (one) WIP image must be posted in this WIP thread. (Could be a pre-render screen grab of the
    scene set-up.)
    - Content use is allowed and welcome, but MUST be credited.
    - Restriction: At least 3 (three) items in the scene must be created OR significantly modified in Carrara. **
    - Postwork is allowed, but if you use postwork, the raw render(s) that went into your postworked image MUST be posted in this WIP thread.
    - The final entry must be submitted with proper description into the “Challenge Entries” thread, which will be open a week before the contest closes. ***
    - All entries must be submitted before 11:59 PM UTAH Time on September 7th 2013
    - The voting will run from September 8th to the end of the day (Utah time) September 14th, and winners will be decided on September 15th.****
    - The images must be specially created for this challenge and previously unpublished.
    * In the spirit of exploring Carrara’s full potential, plug-in use IS allowed. Therefore using the LuxRenderer plug-in might result in the actual render being created by the LuxRenderer. However, in this case a WIP must be posted in the WIP thread, showing the scene set-up inside Carrara, and a description of how the LuxRendered was set up MUST be included.
    ** Examples of acceptable modifications for the 3 items requirement:
    - Morphing a model beyond recognition or cutting parts of it and using them for something completely different.
    - Covering something with fur or creating dynamic hair for it.
    - Rigging and posing using that rig
    - Altering or creating UV-maps. Or creating special shaders or textures.
    - Using 3D-paint feature to texture the object or create shaders, shader masks, distribution maps, etc.
    - Creating unique variations of things like plants, oceans, particle generators, terrains, clouds etc.
    - Inventive use of replicators. (I.e. just replicating an object doesn’t count, but creating new shapes using replicated objects does, or using distribution maps or nested replicators to create environments or interesting concepts would also count.)
    - and of course anything that’s modelled in Carrara automatically qualifies.
    If you are not sure whether your modification qualifies, please ask in this thread.
    The purpose of this “significant modification” clause is to encourage people who are new to Carrara and who heavily rely on content use to explore Carrara’s other features and find new Carrara-provided ways of working with the content.
    *** If you think you will be busy or might not be available to post your final entry once the final Entry thread is open, feel free to post your final image in the WIP thread, indicating that it IS your final entry and providing all the necessary information:
    - Title,
    - 3 original or modified items with notes on creation/modification process,
    - Content credits and
    - General process description
    Then, when the entry thread is open, I will post your image there and give it an entry number.
    **** Voting:
    I am going to allow anonymous votes, but I am going to exclude my own images from being eligible to acquire anonymous votes. If we can find an objective non-participating volunteer to collect them, it would be even better.
    This is a community where people have developed friendships and I think having an anonymity option might actually encourage fairness: people would be able to vote based on objective preference and not be afraid to offend their friends by voting for others.
    I would also like to invite a greater general public into the voting process to show off Carrara to a greater audience. Therefore, once the voting opens, I will post in The Commons and on other forums whenever allowed.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Congrats to Stu and the other winners.

I am looking forward to the next contest...just maybe I will have the time to work on an entry!

If I may be so bold Stu, if you are struggling for a topic idea, why not make "struggle" the topic!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

@ head wax: I sent you your PM. Maybe if it was Vagemit- I mean Vegemite you would open it faster! :P

edited December 1969

Ha ha I have brown stuff all over my face and on my fingers, that vegemite stuff gets everywhere since we sold it to the Americans! Thanks for the Pm, I have returned one forwith and straight away :) Thanks for doing such a good job of the challenge!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Congrats to Stu and the other winners.

I am looking forward to the next contest...just maybe I will have the time to work on an entry!

If I may be so bold Stu, if you are struggling for a topic idea, why not make "struggle" the topic!

no excuses now you know the topic before any of us do :) you have a headstart!

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Hahaha ;)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Oooh! Stu let loose in the Star Wars universe! Imagine the Tatooine cantina scene!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

An idea is forming.....but be prepared.......for Rule No 1......Ambient light will be ZERO.......If you cant find the slider I will show you! ;-)

Isn't it always set to zero? (I for one would like this is be the default). I'm just reading Jeremy Birn's classic Digital Lighting and Rendering, he has just released the Third Edition, and that is certainly what he suggests.

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I just sent PM replys to Evil and HeadWax but the system seems to be playing silly buggers. Just in case you havent received them. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.( My Ringo supplys are already overflowing!)

I think I have the Challenge under control now.
    An idea has formed over the last 24 hours, now I am just chiseling it into shape. Maybe for early next week, to take us through xmas and a couple of weeks in Jan.......And rest assured Santa and his little helpers will NOT be involved..........unless.....aah wait and see.....

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

Very cool, and as others have said, I'm really glad that you've joined in the competition! Now you get to be the host, make the subject, rules, this and that... so very cool. Always have I been a fan of your art, as long as I've known it to exist.

One can never have too much Ringo! Right?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790
    edited December 1969

Thanks to RingoMort & Digital Art Zone for their sponsorship and quick supply of my prizes from this challenge .. :-)

• DAZ store: http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases

• Ringo Montfort’s store: http://www.daz3d.com/ringomonfort

With many products for DS & Poser working in Carrara hopefully a sponsor can be found to help out in the phobia challenge

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Thanks to RingoMort & Digital Art Zone for their sponsorship and quick supply of my prizes from this challenge .. :-)

• DAZ store: http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases

• Ringo Montfort’s store: http://www.daz3d.com/ringomonfortCongratulations on the well-deserved win, Stezza! Great stuff!

With many products for DS & Poser working in Carrara hopefully a sponsor can be found to help out in the phobia challenge

True. It wouldn't have to be a Carrara-specific artist to sponsor. I've put up a call for a sponsor in the PA forum, but most of those folks don't pay much attention (at least it seems) to my Carrara-related posts so, we'll see.

If there's ever a time when a sponsor cannot be found, beyond our most generous Digital Art Zone in Three Dimensions, I would be happy to take that role - but my store doesn't have a whole lot to choose from yet. My next product is well under way, and may even be done by the end of this contest. I really can't wait to show you all what I've come up with this time. I think that it's so freaking cool, that I've decided to keep it completely Top Secret for the time being. ;)

Carrara is one amazing piece of software... that's for sure!