DAZ Studio - Turing VS Pascal

I'm upgrading my PC; new CPU, new m-board, more RAM. Last but hardly least is the graphics card. I have almost made up my mind, but I'd like to learn something about DAZ Studio 12. From what I've learned, DS 12 is optimized for Turing-based graphic cards. None the less, it can accommodate Pascal-based graphic cards. Therefore, would a Pascal-based GTX 1060 be a more acceptable or even a better choice than a Turing-based GTX 1650? (The specs for the GTX 1060 are uniformly more impressive than those for the GTX 1650.) Or should I stick to what seems to be a less powerful Turing card for the optimum DAZ Studio performance? After all, that's what I'm looking for: a reasonably priced graphics card that will best support DAZ Studio 12. 

Thanks to one and all for comments.

I suppose I should underline that I simply cannot afford the new RTX cards. I have a budget and I owe the Gambinos a lot of money.

Comments

• I have a budget and I owe the Gambinos a lot of money.

Join the club.

If you're only going to have one card in the system, get the 1060 6gb, the 1650 is 2Gb lower in ram, 6gb vs. 4gb

Given that a refurb 1060 6GB,zotac, is about the same price as a new 1650, on new egg, beyond the ram it's pretty much flip a coin.

If it's going to be a secondary card, i'd still be hesitant to recommend due to the 4GB of ram, as you can get options, such as p106-100 computational gpus for about half the price, $70 usd on taobao.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited October 2019

I'm upgrading my PC; new CPU, new m-board, more RAM. Last but hardly least is the graphics card. I have almost made up my mind, but I'd like to learn something about DAZ Studio 12. From what I've learned, DS 12 is optimized for Turing-based graphic cards. None the less, it can accommodate Pascal-based graphic cards. Therefore, would a Pascal-based GTX 1060 be a more acceptable or even a better choice than a Turing-based GTX 1650? (The specs for the GTX 1060 are uniformly more impressive than those for the GTX 1650.) Or should I stick to what seems to be a less powerful Turing card for the optimum DAZ Studio performance? After all, that's what I'm looking for: a reasonably priced graphics card that will best support DAZ Studio 12. 

Thanks to one and all for comments.

I suppose I should underline that I simply cannot afford the new RTX cards. I have a budget and I owe the Gambinos a lot of money.

If just having a card - any card - rather than having the fastest card (which would be some form of RTX) is where you are budget-wise, then I would agree with @DrunkMonkeyProductions and say get the 1060. Non-NVLink equipped GPUs become useless paperweights with Iray if a scene can't fit totally in it's VRAM. So at the end of the day, the 6GB with the 1060 will end up being much more of an advantage than any moderate speed increases with a Turing lower tier.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • Thanks for yours, @DrunkMonkeyProductions and @RayDAnt. If the price differential makes it possible, I think I will go for the GTX 1060. It seems to be a better card. Thanks again.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Save and get a Turing with more RAM really is the answer. CPU render until then. As one that has an old technology laptop buying old architecture to save money only works to a point - that being when the technology advancements are slowing and then settle down. That looks to be the case now with nVidia video cards, maybe AMD catches up in the next year or two. CPUs, RAM, and SSDs I think are just starting to take off in development again after 10 years of steady but ho-hum die-shrink. After that maybe video card technology of the best sort directly integrated into low-wattage CPU/GPU dies seems the next step.AMD and Intel are both making bigger strides now.

• Thanks @nonesuch00. I do appreciate your thoughtful input. CPU VS GPU rendering is a dilemma.

• contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 231
    edited October 2019

Is there any substantial reason to overlook the Radeon RX 570 ARMOR MK2 8G?

Never mind, got it!

Post edited by contedesfees on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

Is there any substantial reason to overlook the Radeon RX 570 ARMOR MK2 8G?

If you want GPU rendering with Iray you need an Nvidia card, no other brand is supported.

• @Leana, now and then, more frequently than I care to admit, I ask a stupid question. Radeon specs and prices are downright seductive.