(Iray) Rendering Hair - Bright Areas

Am wondering what causes these too bright areas and how I can go about resolving them. Any help appreciated!

Please see attached image where red overlay exists.

Comments

• SwanSwan Posts: 134

Mmm, refraction and backscattering seem to be the culprits.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Frankly, I wouldn't call those over bright by any stretch. Nor from the direction of the light would they be back scatter; just normal gloss spec of the hair which you should be able to tweek easy enough.

edited October 2019
    Doc Acme said:

Frankly, I wouldn't call those over bright by any stretch. Nor from the direction of the light would they be back scatter; just normal gloss spec of the hair which you should be able to tweek easy enough.

Not overly bright, but a pain re postworking and making the hair come out well given the position of some flares.

What you wrote in your post, that's what I thought, too, but it wasn't the case. Surprised me, which is why I posted and asked. Since then, on a whim, I dropped the refraction a bit. That helped some. Then dropped backscatter a bit. Seems to have solved it. Odd, eh?

Post edited by Swan on
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Ya, if it works go with it. The way some things with Iray are named don't always jive with what you'd logically expect it seems.

edited October 2019
    Doc Acme said:

Ya, if it works go with it. The way some things with Iray are named don't always jive with what you'd logically expect it seems.

You're not kidding! Things can get quite...fiddly.

Post edited by Swan on
  • I've noticed that sometimes changing the resolution of the rendered image (usually to something slightly higher) will sometimes get rid of bright spots, but it probably depends on a combination of settings. I haven't tried rendering against a dark background yet, so I don't know how that would change the dynamics.

I've noticed that sometimes changing the resolution of the rendered image (usually to something slightly higher) will sometimes get rid of bright spots, but it probably depends on a combination of settings. I haven't tried rendering against a dark background yet, so I don't know how that would change the dynamics.

Defintely something to note.

Thanks!!!