Carrara Challenge #49 - THE FORBIDDEN ZONE WIP (sponsored by DAZ :) Entries closed

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Varsel said:

Had to have a go at this.

Not everyone can afford an Area.

So a shed, barn, outhouse or a tunnel will do..... wink

The soldier with equipment, bench and barrier are all from Daz. The rest are homemade.. 

Ha!  Love it.  Nice textures on that landscape.

namtar3d said:

Very fun challenge! 

This is my first entry,  this pretty witch probably will regret about summon creatures from the "Forbidden Zone" 

No postwork or composition yet, just the Carrara render preview :D 

Starting to look epic, Namtar.  Look forward to the final!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

back passages to aliens and secret passages letting pergatory through .. yes

awesome works @Varsel and @Namtar3d 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hoping soap on a rope makes it into the challenge  tee hee

nope... I went over budget cool

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited October 2019

Bwahahahaha! 

The mad scientist replaces human brains.

Carrara Toon! Part III native filter.

Everything modeled, rigged, and posed in Carrara.

Brain Replacement 01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 145K
    setup.JPG
    1551 x 789 - 155K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2019

Varsel said:

Had to have a go at this.

Not everyone can afford an Area.

So a shed, barn, outhouse or a tunnel will do..... wink

The soldier with equipment, bench and barrier are all from Daz. The rest are homemade.. 

Greetings, Varsel.  Excellent concept and execution.  

namtar3d said:

Very fun challenge! 

This is my first entry,  this pretty witch probably will regret about summon creatures from the "Forbidden Zone" 

Great start.  Can't wait to see how you finally pull it all together.  The witch obviously has not seen enough horror movies to know that you don't summon demons around Halloween.

Mystarra said:
    Stezza said:
    Chohole said:

when i google for carrara tutorials, it gives me links to carrara marble.

+1 - some day I want a little sculpture carved from Carrara marble.

edited October 2019
    Stezza said:

Is that why their is a mysterious removal fro the entry thread?   laugh

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 243
    edited October 2019

I've already posted my entry to the challenge, but i want to share this alternative versions i make in postwork. 

Tip for the sphere effect:  It's incredibly silly trick,  you only need to go to model room, reverse polygons normals and voila! You have a sphere that only show you the inner face. Now just load a 360° texture to it to make your spherical dimensional portal :D 

The shader is a mix of Emisive texture with metalic.  (70% emisive - 30% metallic) 

The waves on the sphere i make them with GoZ plugin, but you can easily make it too with Modifiers, circular wave. 

The rest of the pic was just load and pose.  

Diomede said:
    namtar3d said:

Very fun challenge! 

Great start.  Can't wait to see how you finally pull it all together.  The witch obviously has not seen enough horror movies to know that you don't summon demons around Halloween.

Thank you Diomede!  

entryfinalz.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    c2byw.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by namtar3d on

Namtar, you need to shrink the size of your renders as they display on the forum.  They need to be only 800 wide when unclicked, or the mods will take issue.

When clicked, you can make them as large as you want.

The renders themselves are excellent!

Diomede said:

Bwahahahaha! 

The mad scientist replaces human brains.

Carrara Toon! Part III native filter.

Everything modeled, rigged, and posed in Carrara.

Impressive display of total Carrara skills, as usual. yes

edited October 2019

Thanks for the comment, UB.

Thought I'd post one of my favorite Norman Rockwell;s to motivate people trying to think of a late idea.

norman rockwell 01.JPG
    447 x 420 - 41K

awesome work on the toon image @diomede

I wonder if he is taking it out or putting it in.... hmmm

Diomede said:
    Stezza said:

Is that why their is a mysterious removal fro the entry thread?   laugh

yep... lol

I think I got carried away or maybe I didn't read the rules..... can't remember either way wink  angel

edited October 2019

Thanks for the comment, Stezza.  The mad scientists have a tray of brain substitutes, so putting in and taking out, repeat until find the best fit.  smiley

My third entry.  Robyn Hood poaches a deer in the King's forest.  Definitely forbidden!

Used the Dimension Theory Yosemite HDRI for the background, the Daz buck, G2F, Udane hair, the 3DU Universe Ranger Outfit, and Traveler's bow and arrow.

Simple scene setup, followed by raw render and final after postwork.  Postwork was limited to a little depth of field aided by Carara's multipass renders - depth pass and background pass.  Used Carrara's shadow pass to touch up near the buck.  Also added a little highlight to the hair and my sig.  

sherwood.JPG
    1366 x 803 - 158K
    Sherwood 01.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Sherwood 01 composite 2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 485K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

a week  dohhh

and i just an idea for a scene  lol

there really nothing creepy about tangy apple orchard.  except mebbe pirhuana squirrels.  first i have to learn how to spell it

Diomede said:

My third entry.  Robyn Hood poaches a deer in the King's forest.  Definitely forbidden!

Forbidden, indeed!  Great idea.

Hope you don't mind comments.  I liked the one without DOF better.  Or, it may have created more drama if the deer was the focus, and the archer and background were blurred.

I also wanted to see the deer a little bigger, and not so close to that odd background bush.  At first I thought it was a unicorn, as it appears that something is coming out of its head.

Then again, my perception may be totally off.  Wouldn't be the first time. blush  Posting and judging entries in the forum has been a great education for me.  Tastes vary wildly.

edited October 2019
    Diomede said:

Forbidden, indeed!  Great idea.

Hope you don't mind comments.  I liked the one without DOF better.  Or, it may have created more drama if the deer was the focus, and the archer and background were blurred.

I also wanted to see the deer a little bigger, and not so close to that odd background bush.  At first I thought it was a unicorn, as it appears that something is coming out of its head.

Then again, my perception may be totally off.  Wouldn't be the first time. blush  Posting and judging entries in the forum has been a great education for me.  Tastes vary wildly.

Always appreciate the comments and suggestions, UB.  To be honest, as a viewer, I generally dislike depth of field, especially in films.  If the director wants to force me to look at something in the frame, why not zoom in?  I'm still very new to postwork, so I'm sure you are correct about the two images in general.  And you are definitely correct about the compostion - bush coming out of the buck's head.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to see the background of an HDRI while setting up a scene and failed to spot that when doing early test renders.  I can't recompose the scene because I am on the road again with my laptop.  I do have access to the render and the multipasses so may revisit the postwork.

OK, thanks Diomede.  One more thing.  The string from her bow appears to be going into her shoulder, and is not being held by her fingers.

I know - picky picky! smiley  The devil is in the details.  Rotating the shoulder further back might fix it, but I know you have the wrong computer on your trip. so oh well.

OK, thanks Diomede.  One more thing.  The string from her bow appears to be going into her shoulder, and is not being held by her fingers.

I know - picky picky! smiley  The devil is in the details.  Rotating the shoulder further back might fix it, but I know you have the wrong computer on your trip. so oh well.

On the bowstring, your eyes deceive you.  There is a problem, but its not the shoulder.  The string does not pierce the shoulder. The original bow prop was closed with no "pull the string" morph.  I morphed the string back, but my morph sucks.  The string comes back to the back edge of the arrow feathers instead of the start of the feathers / fingertips.  And, the end of the bowstring morph is vertical for an inch or so instead of coming to a point.

OK, I see it now.  The vertical part looked like part of her hair.  If the string didn't go vertical, THEN it would have likely hit her shoulder. :)

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.  Sounds like you have bigger fish to fry (or vacations to enjoy).

Sounds like you have bigger fish to fry (or vacations to enjoy).

Taking lots of reference pics for modeling stuff.  yesyes  Watching tutorials in the morning.

Please, continue to share your thoughts. You have always provided me constructive criticism, which I appreciate very much.   I wanted to get a 3rd entry in and my other project (gingerbread man vs little kids for cookies) was not close enough to finish.  

Appreciate your patience with me.

I have a question.  Your BG in the archer render was the Yosemite HDR.  I have never been able to open any of the Yosemite images in Carrara.  For example, when I select Scene>background>HDRI, and navigate to the folder containing the Yosemite images, Carrara won't even open the folder, as it doesn't recognize any HDR's inside.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Appreciate your patience with me.

I have a question.  Your BG in the archer render was the Yosemite HDR.  I have never been able to open any of the Yosemite images in Carrara.  For example, when I select Scene>background>HDRI, and navigate to the folder containing the Yosemite images, Carrara won't even open the folder, as it doesn't recognize any HDR's inside.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Here is how it works for me  I start with a completely empty scene - as in NO scene in the Carrara interface.  In other words, I start Carrara and then close the default scene.  THEN, I go to the scene tab of the browser tray and double click one of the icons in Dimension Theory's Yosemite folder.  Carrara starts a new scene with the HDRI loaded in the background with the sunlight linked.  I think the parent folder might be called Lights or Light.Scenes or something similar.  Couple minor complaints - First, the previews are not very helpful in distinguishing among the different backrounds, but I'm not sure that much can be done about that for any HDRI collection. If you are not even seeing the icons,  think there may be a bigger problem.  Second, have to load the background before props and figures, and its a hassle to want to change the background after asembling a scene.

That's messed up. :)

First, I don't have Yosemite available in the browser tray.  It is located outside of Carrara.  If this is the problem, I may have to figure out how to get it into the browser tray.

Second, I can load any HDRI into Carrara at any point, without having to worry about whether props are already loaded or not.  If the Yosemite product has these unique limitations, it may not be worth doing step one. :)

If you are not seeing it in your browser tray at all, then I think there is something going on with your installation of it.  I have had to add additional Scene folders to my browser after installing some TangoAlpha and Mmoir sets via DIM, for example. Perhaps you should try a manual install if you haven't already - or DIM if you did do manual install.  

Anyone else have DT's Yosemite product?  

I'm not understanding.  I typically don't have to "install" an HDRI in Carrara to use it.  All of my HDRI's are on a data drive, not the main C drive (small SSD)  where Carrara resides.

Plus, if I have to install Yosemite on my C drive, that won't work.  Yosemite is 4 Gigs.  I have limited space left on my C drive.  These space concerns will soon be a thing of the past, but right now they are very real.

I also have had problems with the Carrara products that I do load in the C drive showing up in the browser.  It's kind of a mystery to me how to add stuff.  Using DIM, some of Dart's products went right in, but other vendor products went to obscure locations, and were hard to find.

edited October 2019

Multiple drives should not be a limitation.  You should be able to add a content folder on any drive.  In the upper right hand corner of the browser tray is an icon.  It initiates a menu to add content folders to your browser, and other useful things.  Wherever your DT Yosemite files were installed, you should be able to add the folder to your browser tray, and then see the icons in their folder.

NOTE - I use Windows. 

yep

works fine for me when I load the hdr file..

what I do is look at the structure of the file system to find the hdrs' then copied the HDR folder to my own images folder .. then I just load from there. If that makes sense. 

from memory I seem to remember the hdrs' were in a funny location on the structure tree. Was a few years ago when I did it.