An electronic drum kit with...

wizwiz Posts: 1,100

Several hundred pounds of stands?

I promissed myself I was just going to walk away the next time I saw an item that made no sense. Just mutter under my breath and shuffle off...

But why on Earth does an electric drum set need to be built out of 3 inch chrome moly tubing? It's not a Bridgeport, it's a drum set.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis/Strike-Pro-Kit.gc

It looks like a real electronic drum set. The stands aren't actually that heavy (and probably aren't even really metal). I have an actual drum rack in my studio that is really made of metal, and weighs maybe 20 pounds. There is absolutely no basis for your complaints.

• It looks like a Simmons or Roland too... not sure I get the complaint. Do they look too thick? Hard to tell without loading the product.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,341

Speaking as a stage technician rather than a drummer...

Based on the promo pictures, I'd say it's perhaps a little beefier than the average kit I've seen, but I wouldn't consider it particularly out of place if I actually had to set it up myself. The tubing isn't that thick, but you do want them to have a bit of weight to make them stay put.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100

It looks like a Simmons or Roland too... not sure I get the complaint. Do they look too thick? Hard to tell without loading the product.

They look way too thick to me. Granted, all my gear is carbon fiber, but youch. Have a look at the picture where the lone survivor of the Blue Man Group is sitting at the drums. An average adult male human foot is 5 inches wide, which puts that tubing a bit over 3 inches.

Going to tubing so thin-walled as to make that diameter "maybe 20 pounds" would mean something so thin as to be fragile.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100

It does look Rolandish.

So I Googled up the venerable MDS-9V.

• Weight 10kg
    • Tubing diameter 39.1mm

About 1.5 inches.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

It is PVC piping with metalic finish.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited October 2019

Maybe it's anominom?  And will there be a version for centaurs?

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • p0rtp0rt Posts: 217

its called health & safety and nodoubt regulations in all countries, regarding electric cables passing through a metal tube with the magnetic field being within atleast 1mm of the housing

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Where are all the steampunk drum sets?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Where are all the steampunk drum sets?

https://www.daz3d.com/one-man-band-for-genesis-3-male-s

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited October 2019
    wiz said:

I promissed myself I was just going to walk away the next time I saw an item that made no sense. Just mutter under my breath and shuffle off...

But why on Earth does an electric drum set need to be built out of 3 inch chrome moly tubing? It's not a Bridgeport, it's a drum set.

I can tell you first hand this drum kit was built to the specs as the real drum set the artist owns.  the artist had sent me pictures of the set as we worked on it so I know it is a real drum set and they have those large frames to keep them in place when being played.   The real drum set is not a small plastic toy its a pretty hefty set. from the looks of the pictures i was sent.   I would show you the pictures but i am not sure if the artist would want me to post them.  But I am pretty sure the artist will tell you the same if he see's this thread & will explain it to you with better detail than I have, or you could go over to his product thread and just ask him :) https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/355986/released-electric-drum-kit-commercial

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Td3dTd3d Posts: 412
    wiz said:

Fair observation. These are the three kits I have that that I worked from. Images 3,4 and 5 are catalogue display mages. My appologies for the flaws in your expected detail, but I just wanted something that resembled the real thing and believable enough for a real drummer. The frames you see in these real kits are paper-light alloy with plastic fittings. Way to light if my opionion is worth anyting. The "virtual" kit was my response to the cheaper frames I was personally familia with. Again, my appologies if I got over ambitious on that detail. Just a fun kit. Kind of didn't consider that anyone would be thinking about shipping costs or such when putting it together :)

IMG-0562.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG-0568.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    10987.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 372K
    16001.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 415K
    16002.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 357K
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,686
    Td3d said:
    wiz said:

Fair observation. These are the three kits I have that that I worked from. Images 3,4 and 5 are catalogue display mages. My appologies for the flaws in your expected detail, but I just wanted something that resembled the real thing and believable enough for a real drummer. The frames you see in these real kits are paper-light alloy with plastic fittings. Way to light if my opionion is worth anyting. The "virtual" kit was my response to the cheaper frames I was personally familia with. Again, my appologies if I got over ambitious on that detail. Just a fun kit. Kind of didn't consider that anyone would be thinking about shipping costs or such when putting it together :)

You are a class act, @Td3d.