Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    Padone said:

Thank you @barbult, so it's always 5Gb anyway .. I had 6Gb at startup with 4.11. Do you remember how much did you have with 4.11 ? Also how much does gpu-z report for you ?

I still have 4.11 installed. I'll try it tomorrow. The results above and these from GPU-Z are with 4.12.0.85 Public Beta. The first GPU-Z is without Daz Studio running. I do have Chrome open. The second one is with Daz Studio open, the default Render Settings with the little ruins HDRI and one camera in my default startup scene. Nothing is rendering. Viewport is in Texture Shaded.

GPU-Z Daz Studio not running.gif
    432 x 579 - 18K
    GPU-Z Daz Studio running scene only default camera.gif
    432 x 579 - 18K
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,476

@barbult thank you again. In my case gpu-z reports 6Gb free at studio startup because I have no monitors plugged to the card. But the log says 5Gb anyway. If this doesn't bother you too much, could you please plug the monitor to the mobo and leave the 1060 free ? This should free all the vram for you too.

Personally I'd advice you to work with the 1060 unplugged since this way you have more vram for rendering. You can use the integrated graphics for the viewport, and the iray preview will work anyway if you enable it. But if you need to work with two monitors then I understand you need to plug the 1060.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Padone said:
    I also have a odd behavior in the log at startup. It says everything is ok, but it reports 5Gb free out of 6Gb in my 1060.

@Padone, This may be because of Windows. I suppose the behaviour may have changed in an update, but I read that Windows allocates a portion of the video card to run the monitor, and does so for each and every card, even if there is on-board video. (I shall refrain from commenting on what I think about that!) Anyway, I've noticed that the newer Nvidia drivers are using more of my GTX 1080's memory than the older drivers did. Originally, I was doing good to get GPU renders with a scene using 6.5 GB, (the card has 8GB.) My latest image actually reported over 7900MB at one point, and continued to render with the GPU.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@RayDAnt, Thank you. I missed the Iray update in the change log. (Perhaps it should be in bold, wink , so those of us not doing animations will find it when skimming through all the other entries.)
    laugh

edited October 2019
    Padone said:

@barbult thank you again. In my case gpu-z reports 6Gb free at studio startup because I have no monitors plugged to the card. But the log says 5Gb anyway. If this doesn't bother you too much, could you please plug the monitor to the mobo and leave the 1060 free ? This should free all the vram for you too.

Personally I'd advice you to work with the 1060 unplugged since this way you have more vram for rendering. You can use the integrated graphics for the viewport, and the iray preview will work anyway if you enable it. But if you need to work with two monitors then I understand you need to plug the 1060.

First. my card is a 980Ti, not a 1060.

Here are the results with both of my monitors connected to the 980Ti.

4.12.0.85 Public Beta
    2019-10-12 01:08:51.387 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 436.30
    2019-10-12 01:08:51.387 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 10.1; iray requires CUDA version 10.1; all is good.
    2019-10-12 01:08:51.390 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Using iray plugin version 5.0-beta, build 317500.3714 n, 19 Jul 2019, nt-x86-64-vc14.
    2019-10-12 01:08:51.454 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): compute capability 5.2, 6 GiB total, 5.01263 GiB available, display attached
    4.11.0.383 Release, Optix Prime Acceleration On
    2019-10-12 19:40:14.560 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 436.30
    2019-10-12 19:40:14.560 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 10.1; iray requires CUDA version 10.1; all is good.
    2019-10-12 19:40:14.563 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Using iray plugin version 4.8-beta, build 312200.3564 n, 23 Feb 2019, nt-x86-64-vc14.
    2019-10-12 19:40:14.616 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): compute capability 5.2, 6 GiB total, 5.01263 GiB available, display attached

I am not going to try onboard graphics now. I think I tried it in the past and the computer would not use it when the graphics card was installed. I think maybe I would have to change something in the BIOS, or something, maybe. I don't have time to mess with it right now. My husband had surgery yesterday. He is home now and quite a demanding patient. He keeps me hopping at his beck and call, so Daz Studio and forum time is limited now.

GPU-Z Daz Studio 4.11 not running.gif
    432 x 579 - 18K
    GPU-Z Daz Studio 4.11 running.gif
    432 x 579 - 18K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited October 2019

I am still trying to figure out how to do that on mine

could find nothing in the BIOS for multi monitor display/onboard graphics

my other computer it was pretty straight forward how to add a monitor to the motherboard in the BIOS was an actual enable tab

this one quite different and I cannot get any signal off it's HDMI or other plugs

two off my card is a bit much

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    barbult said:

My husband had surgery yesterday. He is home now and quite a demanding patient. He keeps me hopping at his beck and call ..

I wish you and your family to be fine and healthy. The time of need is also the proof for love. Thank you again for your time, I do appreciate it.

Padone said:
    barbult said:

My husband had surgery yesterday. He is home now and quite a demanding patient. He keeps me hopping at his beck and call ..

I wish you and your family to be fine and healthy. The time of need is also the proof for love. Thank you again for your time, I do appreciate it.

Thanks, we had a rough few days, but he is much better now.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    edited October 2019

Application Launch

Only a single instance of the application, per release channel, is now allowed to run at a time

Attempts to load registered file types via double-click or "open with" commands (once promoted to General Release) will forward to a running instance (if any) instead of allowing concurrent instances that compete for resources and cause conflicts

This is a very bad change. I use often multiple instances of DAZ studio in parallel and never had any issues. It's an important part of my workflow.

Please add an option to allow multilpe instances.

Post edited by Hurdy3D on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    edited October 2019
    gerster said:

Application Launch

Only a single instance of the application, per release channel, is now allowed to run at a time

Attempts to load registered file types via double-click or "open with" commands (once promoted to General Release) will forward to a running instance (if any) instead of allowing concurrent instances that compete for resources and cause conflicts

This is a very bad change. I use often multiple instances of DAZ studio in parallel and never had any issues. It's an important part of my workflow.

You can have e.g. a Genereal Release and a Beta Release running at the same time, just not 2 of the same channel e.g. 2 x General or 2 x Beta.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    gerster said:

Application Launch

You can have e.g. a Genereal Release and a Beta Release running at the same time, just not 2 of the same release e.g. 2 x General or 2 x Beta.

This does not help me...
    I need multiple DAZ instances in my daily workflow. I run sometimes up to 5 DAZ instances at once without any troubles... e.g. for

- Peparing the next image while the last one is still rendering or uploading to an iray server

- Check differences in the preview few of multiple daz files through switching the DAZ window in the task bar (very usefull for comics)

- Preloading multiple scenes, so I can them faster upload to an iray server

I figured out that this silly chance is in the DzCore.dll - which is a 50MB file. So it's propably an bad idea to use it from a previous version, to maintain the old behavoir :(

DAZ should just add an option to allow multiple instances at own risk.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited October 2019
    gerster said:
    gerster said:

Application Launch

You can have e.g. a Genereal Release and a Beta Release running at the same time, just not 2 of the same release e.g. 2 x General or 2 x Beta.

This does not help me...
    I need multiple DAZ instances in my daily workflow. I run sometimes up to 5 DAZ instances at once without any troubles... e.g. for

- Peparing the next image while the last one is still rendering or uploading to an iray server

- Check differences in the preview few of multiple daz files through switching the DAZ window in the task bar (very usefull for comics)

- Preloading multiple scenes, so I can them faster upload to an iray server

I figured out that this silly chance is in the DzCore.dll - which is a 50MB file. So it's propably an bad idea to use it from a previous version, to maintain the old behavoir :(

DAZ should just add an option to allow multiple instances at own risk.

Yeah, not a fan of this change either. Multiple instancing (as an opt-in selection on an advanced options dialog somewhere) is a de facto standard across virtually all  professional grade graphics design/editing programs for a reason.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • f7eerf7eer Posts: 117
    edited October 2019
    gerster said:

Application Launch

I strongly agree. I think this is a terrible idea. It should be an option. It can default to single instance, but the option to have multiple instances is essential. I know that DS may run out of resources if I try to do too much in multiple instances.

When I am creating a scene, I often do test simulations in a separate instance, which is very minimal and only includes a figure plus their clothing. Simulations run much faster in an instance with only one figure. I can easily test things like camera angles, surface settings, etc., without disturbing the scene I am working on. When I am satisfied, I quickly and easily make the appropriate changes in the main scene. Sometimes, I even have two full scenes side-by-side, so I can compare elements in each. This is much more difficult and time-consuming to do with just one instance.

Using instances in each of the two channels doesn't work if the beta is too different from the main release, as was often the case with the DS 4.11 beta versions being far ahead of 4.10, and DS 4.12 beta being likewise far ahead of 4.11. Also, right now, both DS 4.12 and the DS 4.12 betas have some of the same crippling problems that DS 4.11 was free from.

Post edited by f7eer on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Well, I only rarely used more than one instance of DAZ at one time but for sure i think the interprocess communication / resource sharing between the two DAZ Studio instances must be lacking so if this change allows some bug fixes to happen I'm for it.

good to see that I am not the only one who hates this

best thing we can do, write a ticket

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Well, I only rarely used more than one instance of DAZ at one time but for sure i think the interprocess communication / resource sharing between the two DAZ Studio instances must be lacking so if this change allows some bug fixes to happen I'm for it.

It's fine as the default mode. But it's also an essential feature to have for a whole variety of professional workflows.

• DekeSladeDekeSlade Posts: 125

I'd love more stability, I'd love more speed, I'm zero percent confidant the inability to run more than one instance of Daz will help. I have a fairly robust system and scenes take forever to open, or to save for that matter. And though this isn't a "feature" that I really think about, going through this thread I realize that I actually do quite a bit. Sometimes it's to open a scene to save some part of it as a sub-scene to bring into the other instance, sometimes it's to create a character for that scene as sometimes the scene itself gets clunky and working with a single character a separate process is way faster. This is just a couple examples but if I were to save the scene, three to seven minutes-ish, clearing the scene, starting on the character, saving the character, reopening the scene, that all adds up to some pain. That's with all my content and saves on Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA, there's just huoffa drag somewhere. 

Long story short, I concur with the previous posters in that I'm not a fan of the change and it will be disruptive to my workflow.

- pxlzxppl

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333

Copying my objections over here as well:

I've got several reasons I need to start a second or sometimes even third instance of Studio.

I usually avoid starting it while I've got a render running (as on my system, that would often cause it to drop to CPU), but I frequently need to do it while setting up a scene. If I need to do rigging of any modelling work I'm doing, update one of my saved character presets, etc, etc, I want to be able to do that in a second window so I haven't got to worry about anything other than that specific work. I suppose it can be argued that I could technically close the primary session for that (but at the cost of having to take several minutes reloading my main scene each time).

Also, on my low VRAM card, I frequently have to reload sessions to stop the renders dropping to CPU (as I know of no other way to reset Iray after it starts using the CPU); having to wait to open a second instance of Daz until after the session save is done and the instance closed will just make an already tedious process slower.

However, for one example where simply taking the tedious process of saving, loading and reloading is NOT possible, I've occasionally had problems with things saving, and a second instance lets me check the save file is good without having to close the original session (thus allowing me to try to resolve the error before I lose my work).

I'm not happy with this as an "update", not at all. I've not had any bugs I can associate with running multiple instances. Warning users that a second instance may cause issues is far FAR preferable to removing the option entirely.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

So like, the other day my friend wanted to get rid of this pesky ground hog that was under his place. So I burned his house down.

Got rid of that ground hog!

Multiple instances of Daz Studio are a vital part of a number of people's workflow. If anybody was having issues running multiple instances of Studio...um... then those users shouldn't run multiple instances. Problem solved, or build a better computer. That is not a good enough reason to kill off multiple instances entirely for ALL users. Daz just burnt down the house because of a rodent.

Using the general release along with the beta is not ideal either. This means using an outdated version of Studio. The general release went for almost 2 years without an update. When RTX launched, the general release did not even support those GPUs, only beta users could. If a situation like that arises again, that is pretty bad. Also keep in mind that Daz does not offer previous versions for download at all. So we cannot go back nor download other versions for this workaround without already having archived a number of versions of Studio. And while I don't often run more than 2 instances, I have at times. Sometimes I load up an instance to see if a model I created loads correctly. More often I am rendering in one instance and plugging away in another. Sometimes I just have multiple scenes up for minor tweaking between each one. I've got multiple instances up and running right now as I type this. I've got multiple instances of Daz, 2 different browsers, Blender (God help me), Steam, GIMP, and some other stuff all open right now. And I am ballin'.

This is just bad, bad, bad.

edited October 2019

Warning users that a second instance may cause issues is far FAR preferable to removing the option entirely.

To be clear, running multiple instances was never technically an advertised feature of Daz Studio. So objecting to it being removed as such isn't quite fair.

What it was was an undocumented capability. A capability that is both extremey common as a documented option in professional grade graphics compositing software similar to Daz Studio and demonstrably essential to a whole variety of professional workflows DS already currently fills.

Which is why multiple instancing should remain in Daz Studio as a (default off) documented option - configurable from the application's preferences menu - rather than be arbitrarily locked out entirely at the UI level.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited October 2019

Kudos to Daz for CTRL+click on parent node (previous update) to toggle visiability for all children, and all this animation updating, and these more numerous beta updates.  Very Appreciated!

On the WUT-side of things, like many others, Would like to hear the reason why option for multiple instances of DS are removed.  Did read the changelog and what was posted as an official reason.  If that's the sole reason, catering to some "unknown" mass of people who need everything set up safe and near bombproof does no favor to those who have need for such things. 

There may be conflicts, but how bad would they be?  Would they trip up all activities or just some? 

I would also like to see a toggle under preferences to reactivate this, or maybe a customizable .ini.   Being limited to (1)Beta vs (2) Public regular release may cause issues in itself.  Please take a 2nd or 3rd look. Thanks.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

+1 on everything said about removing this "unadvertised" feature. 

• Having multiple instances is useful -- an example:

You made scene #01 and finished it, but you forgot to save a wearable preset for the main character and you started working on scene #02.

With single instance you have to:

1. Save scene #02
    2. Load scene #01
    3. Save wearable preset
    4. Load scene #02
    5. Load wearable preset

With multi-instance you can:

1. Launch second DAZ Studio instance and load scene #01
    2. Save wearable preset and close second DAZ Studio instance
    3. Load wearable preset into scene #02 in your first DAZ Studio instance

It is a real time saver not to mention that it also allows you to use second instance to try different stuff without messing up the scene you are working on in the first instance.

What you describe here is exactly my own workflow. It's the same if I have a kitbashed outfit worn in a previous scene that I want to use in the current one. In my case, however, I work in the beta version and load the release version to extract the parts of a scene I want, then load them into the new scene assembled in the Beta.  

• @Richard Haseltine:

I see that slow duplicate formula checking bug still hasn't been fixed in the latest beta. Is the team aware of that or should I file a bug report?

I'm still not, as I recall, sure there is a bug per se, but if you haven't opened a ticket then you should.

• shaneseymourstudioshaneseymourstudio Posts: 383
    edited October 2019

I wonder if DAZ will allow the ACEScg color space that Iray RTX 2019.1.4 now supports (https://rsdoc.migenius.com/doc/resources/general/iray/relnotes.pdf):

ACEScg

ACESIray.JPG
    631 x 106 - 21K
    Post edited by shaneseymourstudio on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

I saw this in the changelog:

Only a single instance of the application, per release channel, is now allowed to run at a time; attempts to load registered file types via double-click or “open with” commands will now forward to a running instance (if any) instead of allowing concurrent instances that compete for resources and cause conflicts

It means we can run a single session of DAZ Studio? What about those, like me,

Having multiple instances is useful -- an example:

You made scene #01 and finished it, but you forgot to save a wearable preset for the main character and you started working on scene #02.

With single instance you have to:

1. Save scene #02
    2. Load scene #01
    3. Save wearable preset
    4. Load scene #02
    5. Load wearable preset

With multi-instance you can:

1. Launch second DAZ Studio instance and load scene #01
    2. Save wearable preset and close second DAZ Studio instance
    3. Load wearable preset into scene #02 in your first DAZ Studio instance

It is a real time saver not to mention that it also allows you to use second instance to try different stuff without messing up the scene you are working on in the first instance.

I agree, limit the software to a sigle instance will kill our workflow. I often have 2 o 3 different instances of DAZ Studio running at same time.

• The limit of number of Studio's instances is a bad news.

I always use 2 instances simultaneously, and often 3 or 4. For me the lack of this "feature" make me stay on 4.11...

I have submitted a ticket...

• "Only a single instance of the application, per release channel, is now allowed to run at a time; attempts to load registered file types via double-click or “open with” commands will now forward to a running instance (if any) instead of allowing concurrent instances that compete for resources and cause conflicts"

What the hell? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?
    I have multiple instances of DAZ3D open ALL THE TIME. I came here because it wasn't working anymore. 

nonononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono