Problem with eyes using Face Transfer

I love this new addition, Face Transfer.  I'm can create more models with it.  The only problem I have (mostly, I do have another one) with it is the eyes.  The 'whites of the eyes' are darker and sometimes dotted.  I included two images, one of Daz's Elenora and the other, Shantell, I created using Face Transfer.  Is this a bug with the program and I have to put up with it?  Or is there an solution available?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments

• I Tried the product and I got the same problem... kinda useless as it is.

• Besides darkening the white of the eyes, it also resets the eyes to look forward.  I moved the eyes up, down, and to the sides and when rendering in Iray it resets them forward.

But, in 3Delight the eyes stay put, they don't reset.  The white of the eyes are a little darker but not as bad as in Iray.  Go figure.

• Update...The Face Transer model's eyes don't reset.  It's an illusion when seen at a distance.  In fact it's the darkened "whites" that makes them appear to reset when rendering in Iray.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,012
    edited October 2019

Make a preset from a set of eyes you do like, apply that to the figure before rendering it. That's one way to handle it.

Cheers.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited October 2019
    Make a preset from a set of eyes you do like, apply that to the figure before rendering it. That's one way to handle it.

Cheers.

How do you make a preset of eyes you like?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Not sure what you mean, Catherine.  I tried several eyes in my collection that came with other models.  Are you talking about creating my own from scratch?  If so, how?

edited October 2019

From scratch, no, that requires a lot of work!

A material preset that will affect ONLY the eyes, is all that is necessary. Keep in mind too that lighting plays a big part in how eyes, etc. will look [and I have not mastered lighting in Iray] but here goes:

1. Find an eye material that is already in your growing collection of characters, apply it to a fresh loadly Genesis 8M/F. It does not have to have been a single eye preset, maybe there's an eye in a complete texture that you would like to use. Load then that texture set.

2. Save out that preset to a place where you want it. [i.e. where you can find it easily when using Face Transfer] {do NOT overwrite existing files!}

3. Carefully UNcheck all but the areas that apply to eyes. Save.

Then clear the scene, load Genesis to run the Face Transfer OR load the subset scene already made by Face Transfer, apply the newly made eye material. Put some lights in the scene.

And now the eyes should look better.

1 find eyes.png
    987 x 704 - 521K
    2 File Save As.png
    469 x 699 - 93K
    3 save Material Preset to affect ONLY the eyes.png
    260 x 587 - 23K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163
    edited October 2019

I love this new addition, Face Transfer.  I'm can create more models with it.  The only problem I have (mostly, I do have another one) with it is the eyes.  The 'whites of the eyes' are darker and sometimes dotted.  I included two images, one of Daz's Elenora and the other, Shantell, I created using Face Transfer.  Is this a bug with the program and I have to put up with it?  Or is there an solution available?

I have only played with Face Transfer very briefly, but I did notice the eyes issue as well.

It appears to be mapping the Photos eyes over the Models eyes.

I dont know if its a fix but I got better results by going into Surfaces and turning Share Glossy OFF for the the eye surfaces (mositure, scalera, iries, pupils). Then when applying new eye surface materials they didnt have the painted over look. 

Post edited by TDBAGZ on
  • hhey slightly off topic... but just curious are you able to do selective render preview there to just the eye in the editor scene?  

A material preset that will affect ONLY the eyes, is all that is necessary. Keep in mind too that lighting plays a big part in how eyes, etc. will look [and I have not mastered lighting in Iray] but here goes:

1. Find an eye material that is already in your growing collection of characters, apply it to a fresh loadly Genesis 8M/F. It does not have to have been a single eye preset, maybe there's an eye in a complete texture that you would like to use. Load then that texture set.

2. Save out that preset to a place where you want it. [i.e. where you can find it easily when using Face Transfer] {do NOT overwrite existing files!}

Then clear the scene, load Genesis to run the Face Transfer OR load the subset scene already made by Face Transfer, apply the newly made eye material. Put some lights in the scene.

edited October 2019

hhey slightly off topic... but just curious are you able to do selective render preview there to just the eye in the editor scene?  

How am I able? I use the Spot Render Tool, then click in the viewport and drag out a rectangular area to render ;-)

spot render tool.png
    769 x 731 - 490K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine, I've read over your info a few times and I don't know if it's what I'm having problem with.  If I already have eye colors to choose from why make my own.  Won't I continue to have the same problems with the whites of the eyes going dark?

• Look at the whites fo the eyes on this figure.  I used one of the eyes from my catalog.  In fact, all the eyes have this problem with Face Transfer models.  I really don't want to go into Photoshop to clean it up after each rendering.

Screenshot (85).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Okay, just found TDBAGZ's suggestion and tried it.  It works, mostly.  The pupil and the iris is still dotted but the whites are clearer.  Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

• Okay, just found TDBAGZ's suggestion and tried it.  It works, mostly.  The pupil and the iris is still dotted but the whites are clearer.  Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

You have to do the same thing with the Cornea settings as well, not just the EyeMoisture, otherwise you'll still get the shared glossy input artifacts in the center of the eys.

• jnwggsjnwggs Posts: 89
    TDBAGZ said:

I have only played with Face Transfer very briefly, but I did notice the eyes issue as well.

You only need to that off for "eye moisture"

TDBAGZ said:

It appears to be mapping the Photos eyes over the Models eyes.

I dont know if its a fix but I got better results by going into Surfaces and turning Share Glossy OFF for the the eye surfaces (mositure, scalera, iries, pupils). Then when applying new eye surface materials they didnt have the painted over look. 

• Same problem here - but I can't even find a Share Glossy function under Surfaces! Lip gloss and everything else, but nothing under eyes. Am I looking in the wrong place?