A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection and Access is Denied

Hello there,

I'm at my wits end. I have been trying to fix this for months and nothing works for me, I have looked at every single forum post about "A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established." to find a solution but none of that works, I really don't know what to do anymore. I have reset my computer completely and started all over again, several times... I've uninstalled and installed again, I've given permissions, I've gone through my firewall... I don't know how to fix this...

As well whenever I am trying to update metadata, I keep getting errors and everything fails..I looked at the log files and this is what I get "2019-10-11 10:42:43.378 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): boost::filesystem::create_directories: Access is denied: "C:/Users/Myname/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud"

I really don't know what to do anymore T.T

Comments

• That does read like a permissions issue. Had you, at any time in the past, run DS or Install Manager "As administrator"? That is, right-click>Run as Administrator, not just run normally from an administrator account.

• No I haven't... Considering that even if I do try it, I get a pop up saying that the programs cannot be run with elevated permissions.

• No I haven't... Considering that even if I do try it, I get a pop up saying that the programs cannot be run with elevated permissions.

Yes, that's true now but it wasn't in the past.

• Like i said, I have formatted my computer because of this and started all over again just a few months ago so I def haven't done the Run as Administrator when I was installing it for the first time.

Though I have noticed something weird with my folders, they are all read only so I am wondering if it's that? Since I keep getting "Access is Denied", I saw it as well for the PostgreSQL CMS when it was trying to connect.

• Like i said, I have formatted my computer because of this and started all over again just a few months ago so I def haven't done the Run as Administrator when I was installing it for the first time.

Though I have noticed something weird with my folders, they are all read only so I am wondering if it's that? Since I keep getting "Access is Denied", I saw it as well for the PostgreSQL CMS when it was trying to connect.

Yes, if they are restoed back ups then - depending on how you restored - you may not have owneship of the files. I had that on one occasion, the fix was a "Take Ownership" shell script that was linked for me https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2104406/#Comment_2104406

• Ok... so I've done that as well now, the "Take Ownership" but it still keeps giving me the same errors... "Access is Denied".

I'm wondering if I should just once again try to uninstall and install everything. I don't know what's going on and why it keeps doing this -siiiiiiiigh- T.T

• You did the Take Owndership on the stuff in the AppData folder too (which is hidden by default)?

• Yeah I did, I did it on every folder I could think of belonging to Daz3D

• Try changing, in DS (if it will let you) the location of the ContentCluster and the port used to communicate (chaneg one, restart, see if it helps, chnage the other if not). The settings are in Edit>Preferences, in the CMS Settings tab. Even if you've already tried this it may be worth trying aain now the access issues are - hopefully - resolved.

• Hi Richard and fjolasolveig

You may recall that I am having the same problem, I have observed that there is nothing in the cms content cluster on my machine - could this be a clue to the problem???

• Hi Richard and fjolasolveig

You may recall that I am having the same problem, I have observed that there is nothing in the cms content cluster on my machine - could this be a clue to the problem???

Yes, that sounds very like permission issues. Have you, in the pst, ruin DIM or DS "as administrator"? (I f not, don't - that's a question rather than a suggestion of something to try.)

• I have never run DLM or Studio with elevated permissions (administrator or not).

Judging by the number of similar issues posted on this forum I think there has to be an inherent problem with the latest version of studio.

My active folders seem tohave the same properties as any other file.

I really dont understand why I can manually instal DS, but if I try to do so through the DLM I get an error, and PostgreSQL doesnt work.

• UPDATE:

Having had a good rumage around my PC for any reasons that might give me these problems, I discovered that I could not get the windows command prompt shell to work. So I checked this out with powershell and discovered that some of the system files were indeed corrupted.

I tried to fix this through the powershell utility, but this didnt solve the problem, so I bit the bullet and reset my windows 10 installation.

I now have the install manager,and Daz 4.12 working WITH CMS !!! - PostgreSQL is now working again, after loading it through the DLM.

Problem now is I only have default content installed, and not any purchases.

I looked at resetting the database, but this only lists default instalation stuff, despite the fact that the DLM has all the other things listed as installed, and the DLM is pointed at the correct directory

I really dont want to go through the process of reinstalling stuff again form my backups - so any ideas???

• When you say you looked at resetting the database, did you try to reimport metadata?

• The import metadata option from within studio 4.12 only shows the default content, and nothing else is listed.

• Have you told DS about your previous content directories?

• I dont really understand what you mean to be honest.

Ill have a good look at what directories it is pointing at and get back to you

• I'm still having this problem even after doing a format on my computer and reinstalling everything... I really don't understand anything..

I looked at the Log File and this is what pops up

2019-10-26 10:51:36.493 Upgrading CMS
    2019-10-26 10:51:36.613 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Upgrading database from version 1 to 48
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.301 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in contentFilterPathsToCloudInstalledContent: Unable to connect to the database
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.302 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in contentFilterPathsToCloudInstalledContent: Unable to connect to the database
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.314 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in productGetAllFirstLetter: Unable to connect to the database, can not quote
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.314 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in categoryGetRoot: Unable to connect to the database

Can anyone understand that? >.<

• I'm still having this problem even after doing a format on my computer and reinstalling everything... I really don't understand anything..

I looked at the Log File and this is what pops up

2019-10-26 10:51:36.493 Upgrading CMS
    2019-10-26 10:51:36.613 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Upgrading database from version 1 to 48
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.301 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in contentFilterPathsToCloudInstalledContent: Unable to connect to the database
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.302 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in contentFilterPathsToCloudInstalledContent: Unable to connect to the database
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.314 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in productGetAllFirstLetter: Unable to connect to the database, can not quote
    2019-10-26 10:51:43.314 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in categoryGetRoot: Unable to connect to the database

Can anyone understand that? >.<

Is this a clean system - no attempt to restore the application settings or your own files? Is there any security software isntalled? Which version of PostgreSQL is installed?

• Is this a clean system - no attempt to restore the application settings or your own files? Is there any security software isntalled? Which version of PostgreSQL is installed?

Yeah, it is. I didn't install anything at all after formatting and so I was just using the usual Windows Defender and I have the usual PostgreSQL installed, not the valentina one.

Though I think I've gotten this to work now, by the looks of it. Don't ask me how but after I formatted and changed the user name to a more simple one (Not my own with special characters which my country likes to use), it started to work. Though I'm still on the edge and keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps working.

• Ah, yes - I should have asked about special (non-US) characters.

• Had the same problem on win 11 and studio 4.20. Moved the daz connect content folder to user shared instead of my own with strange letter (Å) in user name.

And voila - it worked!

• edited March 2022

I also have this problem. I can't start DAZ 4.20, just stuck on the "Upgrading CMS" message.

What I did "wrong" is that I updated the content directory back to the my original "F:My DAZ 3D Library/" instead of the "F:My DAZ 3D Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/Content database/" suggested by DIM. I don't see the point of spreading content all around, particularly under so many subfolders.

As I had already installed some content under all those subfolders, I just moved everything under my simple (well, a lot simpler) folder. I know I was being naughty with all this manual installing..

The dblog file comments my attempts to start DS like this:
    LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
    LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
    FATAL:  role "marti" does not exist

"marti" seems to refer to my user account, as my email address starts with "martin"... So this would indicate my problem might not be with all my hassle with the folders, but instead with my account??

BTW, Install manager reports all my previous 20 installs are ok, but does not recognize all my earlier installed content.
    What's the role of the Content database port under DIM advanced settings??

Post edited by martinkeitel_e65f08430a on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,220
    edited March 2022

Have you tried using DIM to just uninstall  PostgreSQL CMS and reinstall it? I have done this once to correct this problem myself.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • martinkeitel_e65f08430a said:

I also have this problem. I can't start DAZ 4.20, just stuck on the "Upgrading CMS" message.

What I did "wrong" is that I updated the content directory back to the my original "F:My DAZ 3D Library/" instead of the "F:My DAZ 3D Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/Content database/" suggested by DIM. I don't see the point of spreading content all around, particularly under so many subfolders.

That looks like the Daz Central path if you set its base to F:My DAZ 3D Library/ - if you made similar overrides elsewhere when switchign to DIM you may have ended up with unattached or nested content directories. Not necessarily related to the current issue, but assuming you can get back to the application it would be a good idea to post your directory settings in DIM and Daz Studio to be sure nothing is going to add more issues.

As I had already installed some content under all those subfolders, I just moved everything under my simple (well, a lot simpler) folder. I know I was being naughty with all this manual installing..

The dblog file comments my attempts to start DS like this:
    LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
    LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
    FATAL:  role "marti" does not exist

"marti" seems to refer to my user account, as my email address starts with "martin"... So this would indicate my problem might not be with all my hassle with the folders, but instead with my account??

BTW, Install manager reports all my previous 20 installs are ok, but does not recognize all my earlier installed content.
    What's the role of the Content database port under DIM advanced settings??

• edited March 2022

Thanks for the quick comments.

I reinstalled DS and Postgre (remind me what that does??) under the original path "C:My DAZ 3D library.... 64-bit" as I realized that "marti" actually referred to my hardrive user account, which is under that name.
    DS still won't start and also now the dblog file doesn't update anymore.. Instead I found the cloudlog.txt, which says:

"Didn't detect any database tables, FIXME: I don't know how to fix this yet."
    Where is the file that defines the location of the database? I could manuallu edit it with notepad++

I must also say that with DS 4.16 I didn't have any problems starting the application although I was fidlling with the content folders.
    I wonder if it would help if I reinstalled that? But can I still get it somewhere..?

• PostgreSQL is the database used by the Content Management System - and it can't find, or can't access its database files. That could be file or folder permissions, in which case no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling will help.

The cofniguration is in %AppData%/daz 3d/cms/ - named cmscfg.json

• edited March 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

PostgreSQL is the database used by the Content Management System - and it can't find, or can't access its database files. That could be file or folder permissions, in which case no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling will help.

The cofniguration is in %AppData%/daz 3d/cms/ - named cmscfg.json

Okay, thanks. I checked that and it has the correct information (after I reinstalled everything under F:My DAZ 3D Library - so that everything is in the same folder)
    However, when trying to start DS, the dblog now states:

--------------------

LOG:  could not receive data from client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

LOG:  could not receive data from client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection with an open transaction

ERROR:  schema "dzcontent" does not exist
    --------------

And after that a long list of errors like this:
    ERROR:  relation "tblType" does not exist at character 48

It's a bit frustrating that uninstalling everything and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem.
    Should I once again try uninstalling all the content that 4.20 requires and install it in the C: drive (after redefining all the paths in DIM)?

​This problem seems to be related to the Postgre side of things. One thing I noticed that in the pg_ident.conf there is no user data included - should there be something after these lines:

# Put your actual configuration here
    # ----------------------------------

# MAPNAME       SYSTEM-USERNAME         PG-USERNAME

• Okay, I reinstalled on C. And now it works.

However, I still get this message:
    A valid Postgre CMS connection could not be established. ... Check your network, anti-virus, and firewall settings for conflicts.

I wonder if there's some bug with DS 4.20 that it doesn't work unless all the required content is installed on the C: drive.
    I don't like to have Daz content on my C drive because it takes so much space. I'm sure many others have the same view.

So I will continue installing new content on my F: drive.

• This isn't a content issue, it's a database issue - it can't connect to the database, so it can't find the "schema" used by Daz (the actual database structure, I believe) and so it can't find the tables (which is what tbl probably means) within the schema. It might be more practical to rename the ContentCluster folder - that will remove the database, but should allow the system to create a new one (and if not you still have the database files, albeit under a new name).

I'm not sure what you mean by " everything is in the same folder" - there are things that need to be separate (e.g. the manifest .dsx files from the downloads folder describe the zipped packages while those in the Manifests folder describe the instalaltion).