Can someone please help me get this correct. New install - old issue.

Error Message: A valid Postgre SQL CMS connection could not be established. Several Daz Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using the Daz Connect service, will not be available. Check your network, antivirus, and firewall settings for conflicts.

This has happened with another PC I used - and once again it appears and I can't find a simple fix. I just want to get the program running flawlessly.

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro (64)/i7-8650u/16GB Ram/500Gb

Comments

• JENR8 said:

Error Message: A valid Postgre SQL CMS connection could not be established. Several Daz Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using the Daz Connect service, will not be available. Check your network, antivirus, and firewall settings for conflicts.

This has happened with another PC I used - and once again it appears and I can't find a simple fix. I just want to get the program running flawlessly.

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro (64)/i7-8650u/16GB Ram/500Gb

I got the same issue!

"Error Message: A valid Postgre SQL CMS connection could not be established. Several Daz Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using the Daz Connect service, will not be available. Check your network, antivirus, and firewall settings for conflicts."

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro (64)/MSI Z87-MPOWERMAX/i7-4770/32GB Ram/SSD Crucial 240GB/ RAID 2Tb/GTX-970 4G

HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

a) When you start DAZ Studio is there a blue button in DAZ Studio that says 'Start CMS"? If so do that if not then,

b) reboot & then start DAZ after reboot if it works you are OK if it doesn't then

c) you need to uninstall DAZ Studio, reboot, install DAZ Studio, reboot, start DAZ Studio & it should be OK.* May sue you install as regular Windows 10 user you long in as and not as Administrator or with "Run as Administrator"   *I threw in a couple of extra reboot just to make sure everything was starting up on Windows 10 boot correctly.

• Do you have one of the versions of PostgreSQL installed? What security software are you using?

• Well... well... well!  Mr Richard Haseltine... ... ...you are a Real knowable  Master of DAZ' Hidden Wisdom!

Thank You Very Much for sharing your knowledge.

• I followed "nonesuch00"s instructions from other post related to the same issue,

uninstall & installing again all DAZ' stuff in my new WIN10 OS, and well... ... just fine ...for now... ... ho ho ho ho hooou!

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

mx

Windows 10 Pro (64)/MSI Z87-MPOWERMAX/i7-4770/32GB Ram/SSD Crucial 240GB/ RAID 2Tb/GTX-970 4G

• JENR8JENR8 Posts: 100

I have McAfee Total Protection. I am running multiple programs on my Surface Book 2 without issue. I am going to reinstall - but will uninstalling and reinstalling correct the issue. What steps do I need to do so that I do not have the same error again.

• JENR8 said:

I have McAfee Total Protection. I am running multiple programs on my Surface Book 2 without issue. I am going to reinstall - but will uninstalling and reinstalling correct the issue. What steps do I need to do so that I do not have the same error again.

Here what I dit:

nonesuch00 said:
    Well the DAZ Studio crashes might be out of memory at which time Windows 10 will purposely halt processes with very large memory usage. Well DAZ Studio crashed most often on me when I had only 4GB RAM and no discrete graphic cards so I did only CPU renders. I then upgraded to 8GB RAM but still CPU renders and crashes were much less frequent, finally I upgraded to 16GB RAM & CPU renders and crashes are almost non-existant but sometimes DAZ does get extremely slow even with 16GB RAM.
    If out of memory isn't the problem maybe it's install permissions and to fix those you deinstall, clean up folders & files after uninstall, and then reinstall at the correct security level for DAZ Studio, that being a 'normal user' (NOT an Administrator).
    You want to make sure that everything installed for DAZ Studio was installed as 'normal user' and without using any functions like 'Run as Administrator'
    My 'normal user' account on Window is Jack for example so I just install everything regarding DAZ as Jack and without elevating permissions via 'Run as Administrator.
    Inspite of you installing the DAZ Studio program on G much of the support files needed to run DAZ Studio will still be installed on C:
    The entire Postgress dB will wind up still bein installed in the private Roaming folder of the user account that installed it:
    example
    C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms
    When you install things via DIM the database that says what is installed via DIM and what is downloaded via DIM will reside in a location similar to this:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager
    Instead of the expected Jack (aka your user name)
    Also some plugins support files will reside in the default Documents location where most users install their DAZ content
    D:\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio  - examples geoLocatorAM / LAMH2IrayCatalyzerAM / lookatmyhairAM
    Also final thing is that Windows 10 will not give a non-system drive the same security permissions & inheritance of those permissions as the system drive I'm pretty sure so installing programs that aren't so-called 'portable' programs meant to be installed on portable storage like USB drives is probably going to cause trouble with some programs.
    So it's probably going to cause less unexpected things for a program like DAZ Studio and just install in the default location on the system drive, almost always C: with the default permissions. Then configure DIM & DAZ Content (in the Preferences Menu in DAZ Studio) on your G drive with all your space.
    So I'd completely clean install DAZ Studio (but NOT DIM a reinstall of DIM it's not needed but if you do - save the DIM configs in the floder shown above so you can copy it back & not have to redownload all downloaded DAZ products or edit all DIM product database files (which is possible to avoid redownloading all DAZ products in a pinch)) by
    1) uninstalling all DAZ content via DIM uninstall
    2) Uninstall DAZ Studio & DAZ Studio Public Beta
    3) & then rebooting.
    4) Now after reboot, deleting the now mostly empty folders listed below
    C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D (the equivalent location for your user - you said you used a G:\ labeled drive)
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS  (the equivalent location for your user  - you said you used a G:\ labeled drive)
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4  (the equivalent location for your user  - you said you used a G:\ labeled drive)
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build  (the equivalent location for your user  - you said you used a G:\ labeled drive)
    5) And reboot again.
    6) Now reinstall DAZ Studio as a normal user with no elevated privileges to your default system drive, probably C: & reboot
    7) Now configure your DIM download content & such correctly (this shouldn't need changing though as far as downloaded file location of the installers for content) & also your DAZ Studio Preferences again to the G drive where your DAZ Content Library will be.
    8) Reinstall all DAZ content again via DIM
    9) Run DAZ Studio & it should work as expected now.
    +++++
    To see if DAZ is crashing because it runs out of memory before clean installing everything do
    a) open a scene that you know causes a DAZ crash in DAZ Studio
    b) <ctl>-<alt>-<del>
    c) Task Manager
    d) Clink on column Memory to sort by highest memory usage at the top
    e) Render the scene that cause the crash
    f) watch in the Task Manager the memory usage of DAZ Studio - when memory gets to be less the 4GB RAM the closer to 0GB RAM it gets the more likely Windows 10 will close DAZ Studio by crashing it. 
    g) A work around to that problem is in the Render Settings in DAZ Studio under the Optimization setting set the Instancing Optimization to Memory instead of the default Speed.

I tried everything. I have a Surface Book 2  i7 processor and 16 GB of Ram with external/internal memory card for an addition 400GB. I do not understand why the SQL error is till occurring. I want to do some work.  It is still causing issues. I am feeling defeated. 

• Followed the above list, unaltered, and no dice. I have scripts that require it, and they're all effectively dead.

I finally got mine to work. I had to uninstall and reinstall and also disabled McAfee and some blockers. It worked and hopefully will continue to do so.. Finger crossed!

edited October 2019

Well, it worked for a week. I have Windows 10 Pro (64)/i7-8650u/16GB Ram/500Gb and a 6Gb video card (nvidia) Surface book 2. This should not cause the Studio to stop working in less than a week. I am baffled at this issue. I uninstalled everything but Install Manager via Install Manager. I am now going to uninstall all Daz data and see if works - but not hopeful.

Post edited by JENR8 on
  • JENR8 said:

Well, it worked for a week. I have Windows 10 Pro (64)/i7-8650u/16GB Ram/500Gb and a 6Gb video card (nvidia) Surface book 2. This should not cause the Studio to stop working in less than a week. I am baffled at this issue. I uninstalled everything but Install Manager via Install Manager. I am now going to uninstall all Daz data and see if works - but not hopeful.

Sounds as if something has chnaged to interfere with the communication between DS and PostgreSQL - most likely a chnage of or update to security software.

I deleted the software - reinstalled 3x without any change but this dag'um error won't go away and I am frustrated. 

• What about the suggestion of security software or OS update?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Postgres needs access to an internal port on the computer to work, some Firewalls and security software block this action. You will need to find out the port it is looking for, you will find it in Studio under CMS, and then configure your Firewall or security software to allow access to that port.

I just spent a LOt of time on the phone with McAfee. I leaned this issue is NOT antivirus related. I also did a large search for this error and it has be happening on Daz since they transistioned to CMS. I have done a registry clean on Daz Products, uninstalled and reinstalled. I also went in and it is still throwing the error. 

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

to find if your firewall is the responssible,  disable it for a moment and start DAZ

do the same with your antivirus (need reboot)

JENR8 said:

I just spent a LOt of time on the phone with McAfee. I leaned this issue is NOT antivirus related. I also did a large search for this error and it has be happening on Daz since they transistioned to CMS. I have done a registry clean on Daz Products, uninstalled and reinstalled. I also went in and it is still throwing the error. 

It has nothing to to with Studio. It is the Firewall or your security software that is blocking the CMS from accessing the internal port it requires to work.

I should have clarified. Mcafee Firewall Total Protection and antivirus. I disabled it and it didn't help - I even uninstalled and reinstalled Daz multiple times. It's gone from discouragement to down right frustration. I have some cool designs I was working on that I can't do now.

Check that the Windows Firewall is turned off and isn't blocking the port.

Nope.

microsoft-firewall.jpg
    2260 x 1277 - 487K

Have you set up Macafee to allow the Postgres program access. It isn't DAZStudio that requires access but the Postgres program.

edited October 2019

is know that McAffee even disabled keep backguard (for me is the worst antivirus in the world)
    even disabled main services "CAN'T DISABLED" port are keep under control, only files guards is disabled!

my suggestion is to totaly UN INSTALL McAffee and reisnstall after all check
    also i suggest you to use another antivirus instead of McAffee who always use high percent process !

Post edited by cm152335 on

I have until next July with McAfee. I did just upgrade to a mesh network wth Orbi. Do you think that could do it?

JENR8 said:

I have until next July with McAfee. I did just upgrade to a mesh network wth Orbi. Do you think that could do it?

personaly, even if they pay me 
    i never install McAffee on my computer!

a paradox,
    in past i had always an antiivrus and always i was infiltrated by virus,(at least 1 or 2 per week)
    since 2014, i don't have any antivirus installed, i forgot what virus means,,
    - i made three day's to neutralise windows defender,,

in case of suspicion i use online scanner by "Housecall" (PC CILLIN) 

the best protection is a "backup" 

I have too many things and personal data to not use an antivirus. Thank you though.

JENR8 said:

I have too many things and personal data to not use an antivirus. Thank you though.

you can use an antivirus, but other than McAffee,,

keep in mind that the use of an antivirus is not means that you are 100% safe,
    everyday always new virus are created and always antivirus are updates their database, "sometime too late"

always create a backup, is your best protection (weekly, monthly)
    not only protect you from virus, but by any hardware failures,
    hdd estimated life is approximately 3 years

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 164
    edited October 2019

When I got this error - A valid Postgre SQL CMS connection could not be established - recently after a new windows install, it needed me to select Postgre SQL CMS to install separately in the DIM [daz install manager] separate program.

Edit: whilst it looks like people have moved on with their suggestions, I cannot see in any post that its stated that the OP has checked that the P SQL is actually installed in the first place.

Post edited by jmtbank on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

have you tried manually pointing daz to your Postgre SQL CMS if you have it installed you can manually make it work.

Steps to take.

go to "Edit" scroll down to preference and click it .   the preference options will pop up. scroll over to CMS from there you can manually set your postgre SQL CMS folder location and ports ..

Its something you can try anyway

Capture.JPG
    1392 x 878 - 116K
    jmtbank said:

When I got this error - A valid Postgre SQL CMS connection could not be established - recently after a new windows install, it needed me to select Postgre SQL CMS to install separately in the DIM [daz install manager] separate program.

Edit: whilst it looks like people have moved on with their suggestions, I cannot see in any post that its stated that the OP has checked that the P SQL is actually installed in the first place.

PSQL was installed and I changed the SQL CMS to 1024. I seriously don't know if this is an issue with the Orbi router and possible internal settings.