edited December 1969

Well ! But, what is "DOF" ?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Well ! But, what is "DOF" ?

Depth of Field

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Sorry. I forget English is not everybody's first language. Sometimes I don't think it's mine either! ;-)

Depth of Field is located under the camera's effects tab. I prefer to use the depth pass these days, as it's much quicker to add the effect in Photoshop.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

FROTFFLMFAO!!!!!

I'm afraid to ask for the expansion of this acronym... :-)

edited December 2013

Garstor said:
    FROTFFLMFAO!!!!!

I'm sure Rich knows all the words. He's used them enough lately. ;-)

I'll try in network TV-safe lingo:

Freakin' Roll On The Frakkin' Floor, Laugh My Anus Off!

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 2013

Garstor said:
    FROTFFLMFAO!!!!!

I'm sure Rich knows all the words. He's used them enough lately. ;-)

I'll try in network TV-safe lingo:

Freakin’ Roll On The Frakkin’ Floor, Laugh My (F) Anus Off!
    Frakkin' Rolling On The Frakkin' Floor, Laughing My Frakkin' Arse Off!Great job! (corrections in red)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you didn't elaborate on that F in front of your Anus. :red:

edited December 1969

I just couldn't wait any longer! :) This was inspired by the recent Movie Night challenge but I started far too late.

This was modeled almost entirely in Lightwave but procedurally shaded and rendered in Carrara. It is not complete - no numerals on that face for starters. The movie vision was to have Victoria hanging off the minute arm.

The clock face is (I hope!) going to be part of a larger model - the entire Elizabeth Tower. It won't be a super-faithful reproduction because...well; do an image search for "Big Ben" and you will see how spectacularly detailed that tower is!

Carrara_render.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Sorry. I forget English is not everybody's first language. Sometimes I don't think it's mine either! ;-)

Depth of Field is located under the camera's effects tab. I prefer to use the depth pass these days, as it's much quicker to add the effect in Photoshop.

Thank you Kevin, that arrives regularly that (not only) you use this kind of abbreviations but for the foreigners, it is difficult to understand…
    I will not request from Dart what “FROTFFLMFAO" wants to say ! , which occurred at the time of your meeting looks at only you but one can learn everyday something from Carrara and, if I use the depth of field recently, I don't know yet the techniques of deph pass, multi-pass etc…
    But one will on still certainly other occasions to speak about it.
    Thank you with all!

edited December 1969

Thank you Kevin, that arrives regularly that (not only) you use this kind of abbreviations but for the foreigners, it is difficult to understand…

Hey DUDU_00001! You don't have to be a foreigner to get confused with abbreviations and acronyms. I barely understand my colleagues at work on most days for this very reason! :lol:

edited December 1969

I believe that you make a beautiful team all the three!
    What occur if there were an international meeting of the fans of Carrara!

edited December 1969

I believe that you make a beautiful team all the three!
    What occur if there were an international meeting of the fans of Carrara!

Dartanbeck, evilproducer and I met in Madison, Wisconsin at the end of September. Curiously, the universe did not collapse!

Honestly, I would love to personally meet more Carrara fans.

edited December 1969

I think that it would be an excellent idea but difficult to realize.
    It would be necessary that it is DAZ which organizes all that!

edited December 1969

I think that it would be an excellent idea but difficult to realize.
    It would be necessary that it is DAZ which organizes all that!
    No way! We have to do this for ourselves - and then invite DAZ 3D to join us! ;)
    They are way too busy to go planning our Carrarateer's conventions :) So we're going to have to stop by and pick up DUDU, too... right Gars-Man?

By the way, Garstor, very nice clock face you've got there. Proud of you! Paste that bad-boy on the side of Tomalin's Chierocrates (or however that's spelled) and you'll have Big Ben on your hands! ;)

edited December 1969

We have to do this for ourselves - and then invite DAZ 3D to join us! ;)

Would they show?

So we're going to have to stop by and pick up DUDU, too... right Gars-Man?

Yeah, I'll swing by in my stretch-Lamborghini to be sure I can fit everyone!

By the way, Garstor, very nice clock face you've got there. Proud of you! Paste that bad-boy on the side of Tomalin's Chierocrates (or however that's spelled) and you'll have Big Ben on your hands! ;)

Thanks brother! But Chierocrates is on my desktop wallpaper...I don't think that clock would work there. Interesting thought though. Now back to some more modeling!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Why not render our way there in a Philip Drawbridge Star Ship made for Carrara! I just saw an evilproducer render of the Heavy Space Cruiser. A whole fleet of them!
    "Beam them up, Fractal Dimension!" as he sends their atoms to our ship via his PySwarms! ;)
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Why not render our way there in a Philip Drawbridge Star Ship made for Carrara! I just saw an evilproducer render of the Heavy Space Cruiser. A whole fleet of them!
    "Beam them up, Fractal Dimension!" as he sends their atoms to our ship via his PySwarms! ;)

That's the Carrara spirit!

In other news, I am getting Roman numerals modeled and positioned on my clock face. After I get back from my business trip, I'll aim to fulfill my vision for the scene with Victoria added!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    After I get back from my business trip, ~~
    ...in Northeast Wisconsin, I presume? Where do you fly in? When should I pick you up? ;)
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    After I get back from my business trip, ~~
    ...in Northeast Wisconsin, I presume? Where do you fly in? When should I pick you up? ;)

:LOL: I wish! Even if you do have more snow up there! North Carolina is my destination.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 2013

Almost has to be classified as push, pull, copy and extract rather than pure modeling.

Simple modeling on primitives (cubes and cylinders) to construct an Arctic Drone of the old order. :)

sled_wire.jpg
    1449 x 861 - 270K
    sled.jpg
    800 x 600 - 51K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
    edited December 1969

'Tis modeling, my friend! And a fine job of it at that... Bravo!

edited December 1969

All of the stuff I've been working on is still in "Top Secret" mode :-/ so I can't show any shots - much to my dismay. That part is driving me nutz! Then I get to working on it and... ooops... there went the time. It's gone. All of it. Time for sleep. Then I wake up and the whole thing happens again! LOL
    Oh well... It's fun, that's a certainty :-P

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    If I ever get the time,

I want to try my hand at a set of original low-poly comic figures (stylized, but not what I generally see in the toon category). Eventually, I want 11 rigged figures for the cast of my projects. The 2 lead actors (a heroic proportioned man and a pinup woman), 5 character actors (a large fat man, a thuggish man, a shorter skinny man, a pleasantly plump "best friend" female and a hawkish featured female), 2 children, a dog and a cat. (obviously, the point of Genesis and Genesis 2 is to create the whole cast with morphs, but its my hobby and I'll play how I want to).

So, here is a start on the lead female. 7.5 heads tall. Pinup proportions.

And here is the base mesh for the comic-style male lead - 8 heads tall, hero proportions

male_lead_8_heads.JPG
    533 x 605 - 48K
    edited December 1969

And here is a toon render of my still in-progress comic lead actors on the beach. The base models / skeletons are saved as a group. But when I want to make conforming clothes, I detach the skeletons, then model the clothes in the same mesh as the base figure. Then I re-attached the skeletons under the animation tab.

beach_test_2.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 144K
    edited December 1969

Here is a screen shot that shows the modeling of the swim trunks onto the base mesh of the male lead actor. You can see the grouping structure in the instances tab.

show_swim_trunks_mesh.JPG
    675 x 581 - 87K
    edited December 1969

So here is a screenshot of converting the lead actor to a Greek hero from a sword and sandals epic (minus the sandals), and a comic style render with a Daz Greek ship in the background.

My "actor" models need work (the hero needs a face!), but I think I am going to like this approach for comic strip style renders. It seems much easier to change costumes, avoid poke-through, etc. than modeling and rigging conforming clothes, or using another program as a drape plug-in,

Tasks
    - clean up the lead actors (call them Burt Lancaster and Janet Leigh) and the dog.
    - create models for the less glamorous character actors (Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Basil Rathbone, Vicki Lawrence, and Marlene Deitrich {although Marlene was glamorous)
    - get better at setting up toon render settings and designing shaders with toon style rendering in mind.

Fortunately, I have some time because today is a snow day.

Greek_hero.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 109K
    greek_hero_2.JPG
    554 x 529 - 44K
  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nice work Diomede64 ---you are really going to town. Thanks for sharing you work.

rich

edited December 1969

I agree. I'm impressed with your skill!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited December 1969

Nice work Diomede64 ---you are really going to town. Thanks for sharing you work.

rich

yes same from here!