How to weight map my shirt. (Solved, weight mapping.)

Eardrum MannaEardrum Manna Posts: 31
edited October 2019 in New Users

Figure must be Tri Weighted in order for the Transfer Utility to reconize it. Not the shirt object, just the figure you want to put the shirt on.

Post edited by Eardrum Manna on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited October 2019

If you want to use the shirt on a weight mapped figure then you need a single OBJ, as a piece (not split into separate parts - it doesn't need to be grouped, even) which must line up with the figure in the zero pose 9and ideally the zero shape). Import it, the  use Edit>Figure>Transfer Utility (or Edit>Figure>Rigging>Transfer utility - I can't check just now). Set the Source to the figure you want to wear the shirt, and the Target to the imported shirt object, then click Accept.

Figure Setup is for stand-alone figures, not for things which fit to another figure, but when using that you again want a single, optionally grouped, OBJ file.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,009
    edited October 2019

Things have changed a little over the years.

1. You want the mesh to be "one" piece. It needs to have been modeled to "fit" and "land" to a particular figure [Genesis, G2M, G2F, etc.] in the default load position, no character morphs applied.

2. In D/S load the figure, import in the clothing mesh [File > import > browse to and select the .obj file] ... it MUST "land" exactly where it is to be.

3. Run the Transfer Utility using the figure as source for the rigging and the new mesh for the target. {From the drop-down menu on the Scene Tab: Assets > Transfer Utility}

4. If all went well, then "File > Save as > Figure/prop file ... vendor is your name/handle, etc.

There is more fussing to be done with regards to materials and morphs but that's the basic rigging. ;-)

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Where'd he/she go?

Come 'on back!

• oh, a comment. Thanks Richard, but I've tried the transfer utility. I didn't know it was only for genesis. The shirt pops up but not the figure. I did try it with genesis and it worked. I'll just play around with it some more, maybe a few more years of pushing buttons. :/

• Yea! My pushing buttons mythod worked. The figure I was trying to put the shirt on wasn't Tri Weighted and Transfer Utility works only with Tri Weighted figures.

• Yea! My pushing buttons mythod worked. The figure I was trying to put the shirt on wasn't Tri Weighted and Transfer Utility works only with Tri Weighted figures.

Or General weights, like Genesis 3 and 4.

• Is general weights for G3 and 4 only or both tri and general. And how about Genesis 8?

• Is general weights for G3 and 4 only or both tri and general. And how about Genesis 8?

Sorry, slip of the finger - I meant 3 and 8.

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163

3. Run the Transfer Utility using the figure as source for the rigging and the new mesh for the target. {From the drop-down menu on the Scene Tab: Assets > Transfer Utility}

I was over here all Import, Parent, Convert to Figure, Fit to Genesis 8 and Parent, Convert to Sub D, .....  TRANSFER UTILITY FTW!!! 

There is more fussing to be done with regards to materials and morphs but that's the basic rigging. ;-)

No Joke. So, where to now? Weight mappingangry, Dforcefrown, Deformsad, Morph Loaderindecision, all of the abovecrying