Carrara Challenge #49 - THE FORBIDDEN ZONE WIP (sponsored by DAZ :) Entries closed

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2019

I believe you Misty. smiley

Don't you just love the ambiguity of water renders?

Daz Originals.JPG
    1117 x 891 - 109K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

I believe you Misty. smiley

Don't you just love the ambiguity of water renders?

tee hee  

what are those underwater shrooms doing

through in some old LB mushroom magic  camera isn't in the center.  was too hard to find to move them in view  doh

Looks like a promising beginning, Misty!

Back in the 80's a new fad emerged revolving around doing something forbidden on the office copier.  The entertainment world starting writing it into stories:

The question is, how far down the road will people keep having this odd desire?

Future Selfie

This is V4 and a texture from the Genesis Supersuit applied to the V4 Bodysuit.  The equipment is Petipet's PSI MedBay.  Robots are a product called Alien-bot.  Apparently, it is no longer in the store.

Processes include Carrara Text, Carrara Natural Functions -  Water:Ripples, Sparrowhawke Edge falloff shader, and GMIC.

No postwork.

analog radio, those were the days, my friend we thought theyd never end

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited October 2019

Super renders.  Love the liquid top to the copy machine.

Here is a render  of another forbidden zone, the classic "lover's lane."  But what was forbidden?  A young lady's desire?  Her date's advances?  Parking in the lane itself?  This is the raw render.  I also rendered out various passes.  And, I can always drop this render back in Carrara's scene tab and apply some GMIC.  I'm sure you think that this is Vicky in a Prom Dress with a Date.  Well, this is Stephanie 6, not Victoria.  Like to mix it up.  In this case, mixing Stephanie 5 curvy with Stephanie 6.

Prom 01.png
    1333 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Diomede on

Mystarra said:

wip  tunnel of mushroom love

render is chugging on the red flow hair from the ca native hair samples.  
    guestimates lil over an hour.  i didn't drape the hair yet

used, darkwald.  g3m

reading the manual, looking for the inverse square.
    chains of constraint chapter, giggle worthy cuz it sounds kinkee

draped hair again.  made collition distance .5

didnt want to mess with Howie's beautiful scene light, but left figure as a dark silhouette.

added a bulb light and used the trick of lighting only 1 object. worried about the hair, cuz can only pick one item.  is parented to head, so was in the figure tree. smiley  thats somethin ds cant do.

trying for a wet sheen. used the plastic, marble shader, then added M7's texture maps.

hair shader has its own shininess setting smiley

another hour to go, rendering this on 4 cores.  

screenshot of the pose set i used

This is going to be another good one.  It takes me forever to try to render something with those mushrooms but it is so worth it.  Great idea and execution.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    edited October 2019

mushrooms..... food..... kaboom!

Forbidden Junk Food

Forbidden Junk Food.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Misty - glowing entry with perplexing reflections !!!

UB - very nice Xerox !

Diomede - did he just get slapped ?

Stezza - another classic !!

edited October 2019

Diomede - did he just get slapped ?

Sure looks like it. 

Still just a WIP.  Plopped the initial render in the scene tab for some GMIC filters.  Given the retro concept of the image, thought maybe black and white.  Not sure.

prom date after gmic filter bw.jpg
    1333 x 1600 - 168K
    edited October 2019

What about a blend of the raw render with say 65% GMIC Cartoon ?

GMIC Cartoon 1.png
    2267 x 1037 - 617K
    GMIC Cartoon 2.png
    1918 x 1044 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

forbidden is fun

bet that guy deserved the slap. 

ergo slapping is fun

Based on the expression on her face, she appeared to enjoy the interchange - whatever it was!

I like the color version better - FWIW.

Stezza said:

mushrooms..... food..... kaboom!

Forbidden Junk Food

Ha!  I had to look at it for a while...

edited October 2019

Thanks for the comments on "Lovers Lane," Bunyip, Misty, and UnifiedBrain.  Yes, she is smiling, and yes, she slapped him, and yes, slapping can be fun.  I like the complications of the vintage morals.

EDIT:  Lover's Lane is just a WIP, although I won't be re-composing the scene.  All other suggestions, such as UB's about color, are most welcome.

Here is the start of another possible entry. Caught with his hand in the cookie jar!

I made a simple T-Shirt for Veronikas Leon figure.  I also modeled a cookie jar and a cookie.  I've made Leon's TShirt available as a freebie.

https://sharecg.com/v/94546/view/21/DAZ-Studio/TShirt-for-Vyusurs-Leon-Child-for-Daz-Studio

In order to use it in Carrara, you will have to convert it to blended weight.

screengrab for leon tshirt and cookie jar.JPG
    1187 x 720 - 94K
    Leon TShirt.JPG
    515 x 587 - 40K
    Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments on "Lovers Lane," Bunyip, Misty, and UnifiedBrain.  Yes, she is smiling, and yes, she slapped him, and yes, slapping can be fun.  I like the complications of the vintage morals.

EDIT:  Lover's Lane is just a WIP, although I won't be re-composing the scene.  All other suggestions, such as UB's about color, are most welcome.

Here is the start of another possible entry. Caught with his hand in the cookie jar!

I made a simple T-Shirt for Veronikas Leon figure.  I also modeled a cookie jar and a cookie.  I've made Leon's TShirt available as a freebie.

https://sharecg.com/v/94546/view/21/DAZ-Studio/TShirt-for-Vyusurs-Leon-Child-for-Daz-Studio

looks good!

not sure if  i haz got the latest update of your barbarian outfit from shareg

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Diomede said:

Ted, nice t-shirt! I would be happy if you or someone else want to make wardrobe and poses or something else for my children and sell that items in the store.

Diomede said:

Thanks for the freebie !

Veronika, thanks for the kind words.  Your figure skills are terrific.  

Bunyip, you are welcome.  I'm watching a lot of tutorials this month, so hope to post several more freebies before Halloween.

just remembering, irish riverdancers werent allowed to move their arms

Diomede said:

The classic "caught raiding the cookie jar!"  A great idea.  Nice shirt.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Diomede said:

Veronika, thanks for the kind words.  Your figure skills are terrific.  

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

edited October 2019

Tractor Bait

I have a weakness for vintage John Deere tractors.  Using some of Chris Poole's ideas, I went for a realistic look.

Characters are V5 and M4.  Clothing is Jeanz for Genesis, and Town and Country for Genesis. The barn area is a combination of i13 Modern Barn (for IRAY), and Barn Yard (an older product).

The tractor is Tractor F9N.  The original shaders that came with the product look like this:

I love the difference that Carrara shaders make!  There were also a few modeling room adjustments.  Other processes include Carrara Text, Carrara Light Cone, Carrara Displacement, and GMIC.

Lighting is HDRI, 1 distant light, some spots and a couple of bulbs.  There is no GI, Gamma, or Ambient.

Because the scene exceeded my memory (8GB), I had to split it in 2 and combine it in PSE.  It took less than a minute to do so.  With one gig more of memory, there would have been no postwork.

Tractor Bait original texture.JPG
    1350 x 902 - 183K
    Tractor Bait setup.JPG
    1456 x 927 - 199K
    Tractor Bait 1.png
    1500 x 1212 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Art Studio thread is now up.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

Tractor Bait

I have a weakness for vintage John Deere tractors.  Using some of Chris Poole's ideas, I went for a realistic look.

Characters are V5 and M4.  Clothing is Jeanz for Genesis, and Town and Country for Genesis. The barn area is a combination of i13 Modern Barn (for IRAY), and Barn Yard (an older product).

The tractor is Tractor F9N.  The original shaders that came with the product look like this:

I love the difference that Carrara shaders make!  There were also a few modeling room adjustments.  Other processes include Carrara Text, Carrara Light Cone, Carrara Displacement, and GMIC.

Lighting is HDRI, 1 distant light, some spots and a couple of bulbs.  There is no GI, Gamma, or Ambient.

Because the scene exceeded my memory (8GB), I had to split it in 2 and combine it in PSE.  It took less than a minute to do so.  With one gig more of memory, there would have been no postwork.

nicely done Ub yes

I especially like how you lighted the scene smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

whao lot of brilliant work -  just popping in to say I'm not dead

here's an image an old one not an entry but the narrative suits  - havnt had a chance to open carrara in a few weeks :(

really enjoying the masterful images in this thread - be back ina  few days and comment cheers

Thanks for the comment, Stezza.  Lighting was... a challenge. smiley  I kind of had an idea of what I wanted.  Fortunately, Carrara has so many useful tools that a solution finally presented itself.

One could spend a lifetime exploring the combinations of various features.

whao lot of brilliant work -  just popping in to say I'm not dead

here's an image an old one not an entry but the narrative suits  - havnt had a chance to open carrara in a few weeks :(

really enjoying the masterful images in this thread - be back ina  few days and comment cheers

Now, that's a render with a story!  I have no idea what the story is, but... smiley

Hope to see you back rendering soon.  Or, maybe reverse psychology will work better:

"It is forbidden to open Carrara."

edited October 2019

Headwax - still sending you positive Karmic vibrations.  Great image.  Hope you get some forum time again soon.

UnifiedBrain - another fabulous render, but is that a genesis figure that I see you using?  Whoah!  You are branching out.  I like it.

Here is my function test for this month. (not required, just me being me)  I downloaded and installed Philemo's phong shader tesselation plugin. Thank you, Philemo!  Going to play around with it for my "hand in the cookie jar" project.  

Find Philemo's phong plugin here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/282246/new-plugin-phong-tessellation-and-displacement/p1

Dowload either the Windows or Mac version as appropriate, then copy to your extension folder.

Here is my first attempt, so please be forgiving as far as roughness goes.

Recall that I had modeled a very simple low res cookie jar and lid.  

I selected the cookie jar object and then added a modifier. The new Phong plugin is a choice in the modifier list.  For the moment, I accepted the defaults, except making sure that "enable" was NOT checked (for resource reasons).

I then went to the shader room for the cookie jar.  I loaded a texture map that says "cookies" in the displacemen tab.

In the top displacement channel, I reduced the amplitude.  Also check on enable and displace in 3d view, depending on the drain on your resources.

In the regular shader area, I put in a pink and red mixer matching the cookie logo.

I went back to the assemble room and enabled the modifier.  See the displacement effect.

I did a test render.  Again, this is just my first use, so it looks rough, but I love that I don't have to actually try to model all those letters.  Thank you, Philemo!

zz01 siple cookie jar moel low res with smoothing of 1.JPG
    1553 x 840 - 136K
    zz09 cookie jar selected add modifier phong.JPG
    1191 x 781 - 95K
    zz10 enable phong modifier and vertex per pixel to 3.JPG
    1169 x 774 - 99K
    zz11 test render cookie jar.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    Diomede said:

UnifiedBrain - another fabulous render, but is that a genesis figure that I see you using?  Whoah!  You are branching out.  I like it.

Thanks!  Then you will really be impressed to know that her boots are Genesis 3. :)  The blended weight trick really does work.

You are right, I like the old figures.  But I've used Genesis 2 figures and clothing in past Challenges.

The reason is, some of the newer generation clothing is really well done, and since I don't model my own clothing, I sometimes need to steer in the direction of Genesis.    Skin textures also tend to get better (more realistic) in newer generations.

Diomede said:

Here is my function test for this month. (not required, just me being me)  I downloaded and installed Philemo's phong shader tesselation plugin. Thank you, Philemo!  Going to play around with it for my "hand in the cookie jar" project.  

Find Philemo's phong plugin here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/282246/new-plugin-phong-tessellation-and-displacement/p1

Dowload either the Windows or Mac version as appropriate, then copy to your extension folder.

Here is my first attempt, so please be forgiving as far as roughness goes.

Recall that I had modeled a very simple low res cookie jar and lid.  

I selected the cookie jar object and then added a modifier. The new Phong plugin is a choice in the modifier list.  For the moment, I accepted the defaults, except making sure that "enable" was NOT checked (for resource reasons).

I then went to the shader room for the cookie jar.  I loaded a texture map that says "cookies" in the displacemen tab.

In the top displacement channel, I reduced the amplitude.  Also check on enable and displace in 3d view, depending on the drain on your resources.

In the regular shader area, I put in a pink and red mixer matching the cookie logo.

I went back to the assemble room and enabled the modifier.  See the displacement effect.

I did a test render.  Again, this is just my first use, so it looks rough, but I love that I don't have to actually try to model all those letters.  Thank you, Philemo!

Thanks for the report.  I still havent tried it.  Carrara is like opening a closet door, and an entire ocean is on the other side.

edited October 2019

Yes, there is always more in Carrara!  The original developers were way ahead of their time, and good folks like Philemo, Gerald, Alberto, Sparrowhawke, Misty, DCG, etc. kept doing amazing things even after Daz stopped.  

Here is my dress converted to blended weight and fitted to Vyusur's Teena character.  I need to tidy up the dress before I can share.  I didn't do anyting useful like a projection or ghost to facilitate the skrt.

Brother with a hand in the cookie jar.

How will his sister react?

dress fitted to teena.JPG
    588 x 708 - 52K

Tractor Bait

Excellent !!! Love the tractor upgrade.