Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• 3dOutlaw said:

So, I am running Daz v10 and the last Beta of v11 at the moment.  Can I download and run a Beta of v12 as well?  Do I just put it in another directory?

No, I'm afraid you would have to replace the 4.11.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

OK, thanks Richard.

• 3dOutlaw said:

So, I am running Daz v10 and the last Beta of v11 at the moment.  Can I download and run a Beta of v12 as well?  Do I just put it in another directory?

This beta will replace the previous beta.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited September 2019

4.12.0.83 - When I hover my cursor over a field that has a non-default value, the numeric value becomes invisible, because the background changes to the same color as the numeric value. This didn't happen DS 4.12.0.73 and does not happen in DS 4.11.0.383. I have a custom Workspace and Style, but I did not change them between 4.12.0.73 and 4.12.0.83. The problem also occurs when I try the City Limits workspace. I haven't tried any others. See the screen recording here. I have also attached a screenshot still image.

Request #308416 submitted, along with additional info that the problem occurs in City Limits and Hollywood styles, too.

Screenshot 2019-09-20 21.20.55.png
    524 x 574 - 67K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Confirmed, white on white in parameters tab too.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited September 2019

I don't see it on my system (Darkside as Style and custom Workspace). I tried Highway as well, as well as City Limits workspace.

However, do please report it.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • barbult said:

4.12.0.83 - When I hover my cursor over a field that has a non-default value, the numeric value becomes invisible, because the background changes to the same color as the numeric value. This didn't happen DS 4.12.0.73 and does not happen in DS 4.11.0.383. I have a custom Workspace and Style, but I did not change them between 4.12.0.73 and 4.12.0.83. The problem also occurs when I try the City Limits workspace. I haven't tried any others. See the screen recording here. I have also attached a screenshot still image.

Had your custom style chnaged any of the colours involved in the affected area, and if so were others still at default?

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited September 2019

Apparently it haves something to do with color 4.Lightest color from Window - Style - Customize Style - 1.Base menu. I made a comparison between DS 4.10 and DS 4.12.0.83.

In both cases 4.Lightest color is red and in both cases mouse hovers over Dome Rotation parameter. In 4.12.0.83 red color gets into parameters field.

DS 4.10.jpg
    1052 x 1052 - 585K
    .DS 4.12.0.83.jpg
    1051 x 1051 - 560K
    Post edited by ben98120000 on
    barbult said:

Had your custom style chnaged any of the colours involved in the affected area, and if so were others still at default?

I'm not sure how to tell. I only changed a couple things and I did it years ago. BUT, if I load the built-in Main Street Style (not Workspace this time, just Style) or Highway Style, the same problem occurs. 

edited September 2019

Before I tested loading the Main Street and Highway Styles, I saved my current style, so I could go back to it. When I look in my AppData where the style was saved, I see that the name was truncated. This looks like another problem. When I later try to load that style, of course the name that appears in the DS drop down boxi s the truncated name, not the full name I gave it. Since the name of the saved PNG file does not match (it was not truncated), the style preview is garbage.

Request #308417 submitted

Style name truncated.jpg
    393 x 70 - 12K
    Screenshot 2019-09-21 12.41.57.png
    808 x 656 - 20K
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

DS 4.12.0.73 (and previous)

Why are consecutive spaces not allowed in file names of rendered images? Even worse, when I try to add words in the middle of an existing file name, it ignores every time I hit the space bar, and runs all the new words together. I'm guessing this is because the next existing character already in the name is space. DS 4.11.0.383 does not have this restriction.

Could you please give us an example re the adding of words which led you to believe that there is an issue? What I've tried seems to work, so clarification would be helpful.

Here is a video. I pressed the space bar between the added words, but the space was not inserted. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q1nz5ml038gfj5/No%20consecutive%20spaces.mp4?dl=0

Thanks.

Please do report it. In the meantime, if you want to do an insert, place the cursor after a space before a letter and you can then enter a space after the new text.

Reported: Request #307812

This should be fixed in a forthcoming build http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_80

This (consecutive spaces not allowed in file names of rendered images) is not fixed in DS 4.12.0.83. Did Rob say that it was fixed, or was that perhaps an incorrect interpretation of change log comments?

• Any particular reason why you would want consecutive spaces in file names?

Any particular reason why you would want consecutive spaces in file names?

That is a description of what appears to be preventing me from editing the filename when I try to add a word. The workaround you pointed out earlier was to position the editing cursor after the existing space, instead of before it. Maybe I also want to add a couple spaces for separation and emphasis, who knows. Consecutive spaces are valid in filenames (at least in Windows). Why should they be disallowed here? Previous versions of DS did not have this restriction. It seems like a bug to me. 

The disappearing numeric values problem is even worse than I first realized. When I click on the - or + to tweak the value, the value is invisible. This interface is nearly unusable now. I will have to change to the Darkside style to make DS 4.12.0.83 usable.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited September 2019
    barbult said:

That is a description of what appears to be preventing me from editing the filename when I try to add a word. The workaround you pointed out earlier was to position the editing cursor after the existing space, instead of before it. Maybe I also want to add a couple spaces for separation and emphasis, who knows. Consecutive spaces are valid in filenames (at least in Windows). Why should they be disallowed here? Previous versions of DS did not have this restriction. It seems like a bug to me. 

I think the fix (which I haven't verified) was for basic editing, not specifically for two spaces.

Edit: which Rob confirms, the fix was to allow adding a word in the middle of an existing name. The inability to have consecutive spaces is a change, but not a bug - Rob suggests that hyphens or underscores for emphasis. You could make a feature request for consecutive spaces to be allowed, but given that it is a change I suspect it may be for a reason.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Apparently it haves something to do with color 4.Lightest color from Window - Style - Customize Style - 1.Base menu. I made a comparison between DS 4.10 and DS 4.12.0.83.

In both cases 4.Lightest color is red and in both cases mouse hovers over Dome Rotation parameter. In 4.12.0.83 red color gets into parameters field.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_80 - specifically "Made slight optimizations to property view painting/drawing" (the enities in question being property sliders). They have tweaked the property painting to reduce resource use and improve performance. Presumably bug reports on issues that result are welcome, though some may require a change in approach rather than a fix to DS for all I know.

barbult said:

I think the fix (which I haven't verified) was for basic editing, not specifically for two spaces.

Edit: which Rob confirms, the fix was to allow adding a word in the middle of an existing name. The inability to have consecutive spaces is a change, but not a bug - Rob suggests that hyphens or underscores for emphasis. You could make a feature request for consecutive spaces to be allowed, but given that it is a change I suspect it may be for a reason.

Thanks for clarifying with Rob. I think the change that he made was to the Image Name field in the Render Settings pane, Editor tab, General settings. It used to be that if you tried to edit the Image Name in that field, the cursor would jump to the end of the name every time you typed a character. That has been broken for years. I reported that issue years ago. It is a welcome fix in DS 4.12.0.83 that the cursor no longer jumps to the end while editing! 

DS 4.12.0.83 still won't let me position the edit cursor at the end of a word in the middle of the name and type a space to start a new inserted phrase. Every word inserted is run together in one big glob as every space character entered is ignored. That is what I find so annoying about the current implementation. This is the video that shows what happens. I pressed the space bar between the added words, but the space was not inserted. The resulting filename is run together gibberish. It is hard to understand why something like this would be done on purpose. It must be a side effect of a change for some other purpose.

I will stop beating this dead horse in the forum now and submit a feature request. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Rob says
    Instead of placing the text cursor at the end of a word (where the space is to the right) and typing, move the text cursor one character to the right (at the beginning of the next word, where the space is to the left) and start typing. This allows you to insert as many words as you like in the middle of the name.

edited September 2019
    Chohole said:

Rob says
    Instead of placing the text cursor at the end of a word (where the space is to the right) and typing, move the text cursor one character to the right (at the beginning of the next word, where the space is to the left) and start typing. This allows you to insert as many words as you like in the middle of the name.

Yes, thanks, that workaround was posted earlier in this thread.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,873

Maybe it's a dumb request, but since we are talking about the interface, there's something I would like to ask...
    There's a chance to see added the option to lock the resizing of the dockable areas? I mean only the draggable yellow bars not the handle that "closes and opens" that area.
    I made a specific layout that helps me do things faster and some times, when clicking around I mistakely drag those bars and all the icons and stuff gets "reshuffled", especially the smart content.

LockThis.jpg
    644 x 87 - 23K
    edited September 2019
    Imago said:

Maybe it's a dumb request, but since we are talking about the interface, there's something I would like to ask...
    There's a chance to see added the option to lock the resizing of the dockable areas? I mean only the draggable yellow bars not the handle that "closes and opens" that area.
    I made a specific layout that helps me do things faster and some times, when clicking around I mistakely drag those bars and all the icons and stuff gets "reshuffled", especially the smart content.

You can lock the UI configuration with Window/Workspace/Lock Docking/Undocking (Ctrl+U). It is a toggle. Is that what you are looking for? I can't tell exactly what your image is focused on.

Changing colors when customizing the Style puts entries into the Undo stack, but selecting to Undo those changes doesn't seem to do anything.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,873
    edited September 2019
    barbult said:
    Imago said:

You can lock the UI configuration with Window/Workspace/Lock Docking/Undocking (Ctrl+U). It is a toggle. Is that what you are looking for? I can't tell exactly what your image is focused on.

I mean the resizing of the dockable areas.

The yellow ( or other color depending on the layout) part that appears when you hover with the mouse over the separation of two dockable areas.  The bar in the image I posted. It's even written in the image itself.

I know I can lock the docking but I can't lock the resizing of the dockable parts.

Post edited by Imago on
  • barbult said:

Changing colors when customizing the Style puts entries into the Undo stack, but selecting to Undo those changes doesn't seem to do anything.

This is apparently something that has been true since 4.9, it is a bug but not a new one.

barbult said:

This is apparently something that has been true since 4.9, it is a bug but not a new one.

Do I need to submit a help request, or is it already in the bug tracker?
  • barbult said:
    barbult said:

I'm not sure - Rob did acknowledge it, so I guess it's on the list but there's no great harm in making a report.

edited September 2019
    barbult said:
    Chohole said:

Rob says

See http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_85

barbult said:
    Chohole said:

Rob says

See http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_85

Great!!! I see a fix for the invisible non-default values, too, it looks like. It makes me feel like beta testing and offering feedback in this thread is valuable.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

I'm not sure - Rob did acknowledge it, so I guess it's on the list but there's no great harm in making a report.

OK, thanks. I submitted Request #308626.

edited September 2019
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    Chohole said:

Rob says

Great!!! I see a fix for the invisible non-default values, too, it looks like. It makes me feel like beta testing and offering feedback in this thread is valuable.

I'm told that the multi-spacing is only for editing, once you move on from the field they becoem single spaces. But it does address the editing issue.

Don't forget that official reports/requests still need to go through the tracker - sometimes Rob will pick up on civil discussions here and fix/implement off his own bat (as long as he has free time and the task is manageable and safe) but that can't be assumed or expected.