Large models - Out of memory

ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550
edited September 2019 in Hexagon Discussion

I ran into a situation Hexagon saying ”Out of resources allocated by Windows”. I wonder if there is a hardcoded limit how much stuff Hexagon can hold at one sitting. My model is a bit under 2 million polys, so it is big, but if I upgrade my computer’s memory from 16->32GB, would it help?

Post edited by Protozoon on

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Are you using the current public 32-bit release (2.5.2.109) or the beta 64-bit release (2.5.2.137)?

32-bit applications are limited to how much memory Windows will allocate to them at all. No matter how much physical RAM you have, a 32-bit application will only be allocated 4 GB of memory. Techincally only a little over 3.5 GB of that is actually usable by the application.

64-bit applications can (theoretically) use up to 16 Exabytes of RAM.

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550
    edited September 2019
    JonnyRay said:

Are you using the current public 32-bit release (2.5.2.109) or the beta 64-bit release (2.5.2.137)?

32-bit applications are limited to how much memory Windows will allocate to them at all. No matter how much physical RAM you have, a 32-bit application will only be allocated 4 Gb of memory. Techincally only a little over 3.5 GB of that is actually usable by the application.

The 64-bit version. My Mac has the only available 32-bit version but with only 8Gb of ram it seems to manage it better (this being a mere gut feeling).

So probably more memory could be a solution (and if not, would still help the win10 environment to perform well.)

Post edited by Protozoon on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Protozoon said:
    JonnyRay said:

32-bit applications are limited to how much memory Windows will allocate to them at all. No matter how much physical RAM you have, a 32-bit application will only be allocated 4 Gb of memory. Techincally only a little over 3.5 GB of that is actually usable by the application.

The 64-bit version. My Mac has the only available 32-bit version but with only 8Gb of ram it seems to manage it better (this being a mere gut feeling).

So probably more memory could be a solution (and if not, would still help the win10 environment to perform well.)

Apple's memory management is a better because since they control both the hardware and OS. Microsoft has to had a lot more layers to support multiple hardware platforms, etc. So it would make sense that your Mac is handling itself a little more elegantly.

You could check to see for sure what resources are running out by running Resource Monitor. It is possible depending on what all you're running on the PC that the system is "starving" for resources (particularly RAM). As Windows starts to run low, you can run into situations where even though it told Hexagon that 16 Exabytes are available, the reality is that it can't make good on that promise. :) There are also some other resources that can be more specific that can cause issues, but RAM is a much more common bottleneck.