Murky Volume Plugin

The Murky Volume plugin can now be downloaded from my website along with a user manual and some presets.

The plugin is a volumetric primitive that can be used to create deep and turbid waters.  Light is attenuated through the volume so like in real lakes and oceans the deeper you get the less the light penetrates and objects in the volume get darker and darker.  Colours also attentuate differently depending on the depth and distance through the water.

If you have done an underwater scene before you may have used the Scene Atmosphere or Fog to get close to such an effect.  This plugin allows you to avoid doing that - which is particularly useful for a scene that requires views both in and out of the water. If you change the atmosphere then anything above the water will look wrong.  This short video (which I did early on in the project) shows the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXpOkqVjTU

When a body of water is viewed from above the surface the existing Carrara shader absorption settings will work to make things get darker as they approach the Attenuation distance but once you get down into the water the shader is of no help.  I explain this in more detail in my Laboratory.

The plugin can work with multiple surface objects to create the right interactions between the surface of the water and the volume.  It checks if the ray is above or below the surface so the volume effect only happens below it. It can also work with exclusion zones to create an aquarium or submersible vehicle and inclusion zones to create a fish tank.

The visibility and other settings can be adjusted to make the water murkier with details explained in the user manual.  I couldn't figure out how to add light beams but caustics work well on objects in the volume.

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited September 2019
    Thanks!
    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,696

Thanks as well !!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

thank you once again!!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Hehehehe... looks like my water feature in the garden right now. Haven't had time to clean it and the birds won't touch it.  Great effect!  Cheers,  heart Silene

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

kewl lokin stuff.  Thanks!

exactly what i needed for sea dragon

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

Whaagh!!! I remember watching this a while back in your lab. Very cool stuff! I'm so glad you have the foresight to recognize such a need and make something work for it. Very cool stuff, indeed!

yes  Thanks, my friend! 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

Sweet! What an awesome manual!

Inspiration galore!

Funny, I've been away from the internet for quite some time now and was just recently (last week) testing my character out walking out of water using DCG's TerrainTools to cause disturbance where she makes contact. While my test wasn't perfect, it did teach me that I understand how to make it work effictively.

Immediately after, I thought of your Murky Water project because that part of the movie might require a few seconds of renders from under the water. This will be a lot of fun for me!

Thanks again... and again for making such a wonderful manual! Loving this!