Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• surodysurody Posts: 261

In order to turn off IK for a character, someone has to press it twice or use the shortcut ctrl+k twice. For some reason using it the first time has no effect at all on the 4.12 beta. I assume this is a bug.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited September 2019

I used daz 4.12 beta i was achieving as fast as 12 seconds a frame rendering at 1920 x 1080 in IRAY.  I was creating pre rendered back grounds of the kung fu school  & I turned them in to 1/4 panes hdr with Photoshop like the older anime animations use to be like .  the whole project took about 16 days for 32 scenes or 17,352 frames, one of my faster projects.   its a anime animated short its not suppose to be photorealistic. I did this project using beta to see how quick i could do this type of animation.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • L'Adair said:

I just read this in the Change Log, build 4.12.0.73:

• Fixed an issue trial usage activation policy; now dependent on release cycle/channel

Does this mean Daz is going to stop providing Daz Studio free of charge? (If the program is not paid, why would it need a "trial usage activation policy"?)

At a guess it means the system used by AniMate 2/AniMate Lite - meaning you can have two trials, one in each channel.

Belatedly passing on a response from Rob: AniMate is an example of a plug-in using an activation policy, but it uses trial days (30 days function as the full AniMate 2, then AniMate Lite unless a serial is purchased), Trial Usage, mentioned in the change log, allows a plug-in to work a number of times, regadless of time. So a hypothetical importer or exporter plug-in could be used ten times before needing activation with a serial number.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited September 2019
    Taoz said:

I'm having a problem with the Library - can't fully see the last subfolders:

Apparently that was a glitch, after a DS restart it works normally again.  But I've never seen it in earlier versions. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    L'Adair said:

I just read this in the Change Log, build 4.12.0.73:

• Fixed an issue trial usage activation policy; now dependent on release cycle/channel

Does this mean Daz is going to stop providing Daz Studio free of charge? (If the program is not paid, why would it need a "trial usage activation policy"?)

At a guess it means the system used by AniMate 2/AniMate Lite - meaning you can have two trials, one in each channel.

Belatedly passing on a response from Rob: AniMate is an example of a plug-in using an activation policy, but it uses trial days (30 days function as the full AniMate 2, then AniMate Lite unless a serial is purchased), Trial Usage, mentioned in the change log, allows a plug-in to work a number of times, regadless of time. So a hypothetical importer or exporter plug-in could be used ten times before needing activation with a serial number.

Thank you, Richard and Rob, both!

edited September 2019

I see we have anew update for beta in our dimms the change logs states a few things i like to ask a questions about

question 1  the log states the following   Face Transfer pane, 

• Windows 64-bit only
    • A new pane that allows selection of a source portrait photo to transfer to a Genesis 8 Male/Female
      • Lighting should be uniform, without shadows, and not too bright or dark
      • Face must be clearly visible, with no obstructions like glasses, hair blocking the forehead, etc.
      • Facial expression should be neutral
      • Facing direction should be straight ahead
    • Requires latest update to Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Male/Female
    • Generates a morph, associated facial bone adjustments/links, and a texture set
      • Texture set is based on default textures provided by Starter Essentials packages
      • Material

Does this mean we should re-download and install a update to our Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Male/Female as well as the beta update? i did not see a update for it in dimm

----------------------------------------------

questions 2? the change log states the following 

Uses a "trial usage" activation policy

• Allows unlimited generated previews
      • Generated preview textures are watermarked and not preserved between transfers or sessions
    • Allows 3 saves via Face Transfer, per release channel, before requiring a valid serial number
    • Entering a valid serial number does the following:
      • Removes watermarking from generated previews
      • Enables unlimited Face Transfer save operations

Huh?! how that work? i don't ever remember seeing any water marks before  * confused look*

question3  General Interface

• Updated default layout files
      • Recommend clicking Window > Workspace > Update and Merge menus

Should we make a back up of our workspace ui before installing this update? is this going to reset things back to default UI ?

Thank you for reading my questions

Post edited by Ivy on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Ivy said:

Should we make a back up of our workspace ui before installing this update? is this going to reset things back to default UI ?

This is one of the frustrations I face whenever I switch to a new version. I usually recreate my workspace as best I remember it as I'm never sure that any of my saved workspace layouts will work with new/beta versions of DS. When I've tried them, there seem to be glitches which I assume to be incompatibilities between versions.

• marble said:
    Ivy said:

This is one of the frustrations I face whenever I switch to a new version. I usually recreate my workspace as best I remember it as I'm never sure that any of my saved workspace layouts will work with new/beta versions of DS. When I've tried them, there seem to be glitches which I assume to be incompatibilities between versions.

While I would certainly advise malking a backup of your layout, Update and Merge Menus should not be an issue (except, perhaps, the very first time you use it if your layout is very old)

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited September 2019

The Genesis 8 Starter Essentials packages should start showing as updates in DIM soon.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • Ivy said:

I see we have anew update for beta in our dimms the change logs states a few things i like to ask a questions about

question 1  the log states the following   Face Transfer pane, 

• Windows 64-bit only
    • A new pane that allows selection of a source portrait photo to transfer to a Genesis 8 Male/Female
      • Lighting should be uniform, without shadows, and not too bright or dark
      • Face must be clearly visible, with no obstructions like glasses, hair blocking the forehead, etc.
      • Facial expression should be neutral
      • Facing direction should be straight ahead
    • Requires latest update to Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Male/Female
    • Generates a morph, associated facial bone adjustments/links, and a texture set
      • Texture set is based on default textures provided by Starter Essentials packages
      • Material

Does this mean we should re-download and install a update to our Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Male/Female as well as the beta update? i did not see a update for it in dimm

Yes, otherwsie it will complain about missing files I believe

Ivy said:

----------------------------------------------

questions 2? the change log states the following 

Uses a "trial usage" activation policy

• Allows unlimited generated previews
      • Generated preview textures are watermarked and not preserved between transfers or sessions
    • Allows 3 saves via Face Transfer, per release channel, before requiring a valid serial number
    • Entering a valid serial number does the following:
      • Removes watermarking from generated previews
      • Enables unlimited Face Transfer save operations

Huh?! how that work? i don't ever remember seeing any water marks before  * confused look*

new, or at least newly-used, feature for this pane.

Ivy said:

Thank you for reading my questions

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

DS 4.12.0.73 (and previous)

Why are consecutive spaces not allowed in file names of rendered images? Even worse, when I try to add words in the middle of an existing file name, it ignores every time I hit the space bar, and runs all the new words together. I'm guessing this is because the next existing character already in the name is space. DS 4.11.0.383 does not have this restriction.

Okay thanks for the clarification on everything, I appreciate it.  I downloaded what is available in DIM . I am still not seeing Genesis 8 Starter Essentials yet, so as soon as that shows up I'll install everything  at one time . maybe quicker if i go to manual download for the Starter Essentials anyway

Oh & just in case I did make a new back up of my workspace and style settings. Murphy's law and all that stuff...lol

• barbult said:

Why are consecutive spaces not allowed in file names of rendered images? Even worse, when I try to add words in the middle of an existing file name, it ignores every time I hit the space bar, and runs all the new words together. I'm guessing this is because the next existing character already in the name is space. DS 4.11.0.383 does not have this restriction.

Could you please give us an example re the adding of words which led you to believe that there is an issue? What I've tried seems to work, so clarification would be helpful.

barbult said:

Could you please give us an example re the adding of words which led you to believe that there is an issue? What I've tried seems to work, so clarification would be helpful.

Here is a video. I pressed the space bar between the added words, but the space was not inserted. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q1nz5ml038gfj5/No%20consecutive%20spaces.mp4?dl=0

• The Genesis 8 Starter Essentials packages should start showing as updates in DIM soon.

I just updated it via Connect. yes

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505

I just tried Face Transfer with a politician's face and it did a surprisingly good job. This is going to be fun.  devil

So I assume this will be a commercial plug-in available in the store soon? Hope there are more options in the full version, but this is a very nice addition.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059

I just tried Face Transfer with a politician's face and it did a surprisingly good job. This is going to be fun.  devil

So I assume this will be a commercial plug-in available in the store soon? Hope there are more options in the full version, but this is a very nice addition.

You're right, it is fun. Some quick tests - I grabbed a few old Hollywood celebrities from Google image search, ran them through Transfer, and then did a quick render. B&W images give a grey scale texture and grease paint doesn't generate a good texture (yes, I was trying to bust it). The Peter Lorre shows what happens when the original is wearing a hat. And I think the beard on Victor Buono 2 resulted in too rounded a face. But over all, quite effective.

charles-bronson-6.jpg
    900 x 750 - 75K
    c bronson 6 generate.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 598K
    Frankenstein's_monster_(Boris_Karloff).jpg
    1194 x 1499 - 434K
    frankie generate.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 646K
    herman munster.jpg
    385 x 489 - 17K
    herman munster generate.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 649K
    johnny-cash.jpg
    780 x 439 - 35K
    johnny cash generate.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 619K
    peter-lorre-2.jpg
    900 x 750 - 64K
    peter lorre 2 generate.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 629K
    victor buono 2.jpg
    600 x 315 - 28K
    victor buono 2 generate.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 663K
    victor buono.jpg
    500 x 250 - 20K
    victor buono generate.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 627K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited September 2019

a) I just tried it & I purposely picked the same 3 old university IDs I had used when I 1st used FaceGen and it's done a better job I think. I'm not considering textures yet. UPDATE: wrong

b) I tried a 2017 photo that was quite large and I think but am not sure, that it has again done a better job but I have compared in detail yet.  Again textures not considered. UPDATE: wrong

c) Pushing the boundaries I decided to have 5 G8M all with Face Transfer used on them and decided one of the pictures used to do a Face Transfer and then switch to another picture and did a Face Transfer on the same G8M I will change back to the original picture I had used to do a Face Transfer on the same G8M and low and before instead if left the original G8M allow and instantiated a new G8M to apply this Face Transfer too!  A runon sentence for sure but so now there are 6 G8Ms in my viewport. If it makes a different after a few tests on the 1st 3 G8M I have in the viewport I started getting messages I have only 3 Face Transfers left. However that message didn't happen until after 4 or 5 practice Face Transfers and a couple of renders. Thinking I had did something wrong I saved those 3 Face Transfers successfully. So now this bug I just explained on c) is on G8Ms using a maxed out Face Transfer (if it makes any difference to DAZ 3D's debug efforts). UPDATE: bug really exists

+++++

OK, so I looked more closely. I removed the textures, looked around at different angles at the models using the same texture set and then it became clear:

a) For the old IDs the job it does is about equivalent. The problem both have is the face details are shaved off and flattened and quite noticeably so. Those were typical small institutional polaroid pictures from IDs the late 1980s. 

b) for the new hi-res picture it does worse. Despite all the seeming detail a model digital camera would give the face transfer model wasn't any better quality than the Face Transfer morph from the 3 photo IDs for the 1980s. It was flattened with geometry details shaved off. Those details were not expressions or wrinkles that were erased but nose shape, lip shape, chin shape, under lower lip, eyes, all easily noticeable with a bit of systemic compairitive effort. So that leads me to think that rather than the actual details not being available to use that FaceGen & Face Transfer are making the same general algorithmic mistake. Maybe the algorithm is too aggressive in erasing what it thinks are expressions and wrinkles (although the old photo IDs were very expressionless and wrinkle free).  

1) FaceGen allows for a side profile picture and use of that improved the quality of the morph by correcting the debt of the morph's geometry created from the frontal view still details are missing. It's like it could do to 3/4 view photos as well. Or maybe lighting that would expose all the detail (and I don't mean skin texture type details) those algorithms are missing. 

c) The textures are matched to the photos, well they wear made entirely too deep a brown, of course that means they are almost 100% definitely wrong. It's probably more appropriate for DAZ here to

1) Make normal and bump maps for the face passed on the photo

2) Have a popup that offers the user to choose the skin tone for the diffuse map and color adjust that as the diffuse map color - maybe they need to only create a series of lie layers for the diffuse map and use the color chosen as the base color.

d) Yes, the bug named about with a new instance being created is real. Odd though it did not create a new instance each time I did a similar thing in testing Face Transfer on other instances of G8M

So not bad but definitely not something that's going to replace FaceGen Artist Pro for quality without much more quality improvements than that initial public beta. 

I guess I will try to replicate the definite bug I found in the next week but I'm starting to accumulate a lot of bug reports.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,726
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Here is a video. I pressed the space bar between the added words, but the space was not inserted. 

Same issue~ Now in this case the only way is to type a character/word first then put the cursor before it and type a space...

• I suppose older generations do not, and will not have this feature?
  • PetipetPetipet Posts: 102

I want to express my gratitude to the developers of the Daz Studio. I want to thank them for optimizing version (4.12) to spin scene in viewport has become much easier compared to version (4.11). Good work done! I am very glad, now it will be possible to create bigger scenes in the Dazstudio.

• This is....super fun ! It is , like FaceGen not a straight out the box perfect morph or texture but with work tweaking your output you can def make use of this !

• barbult said:
    barbult said:

Thanks.

Please do report it. In the meantime, if you want to do an insert, place the cursor after a space before a letter and you can then enter a space after the new text.

edited September 2019

The Genesis 8 Starter Essentials never did show up in my DIM. but it does on the manual page.

I also notices some new templete files and a new mimic iles as well . lots to down load.

what is the powr pose templete? do we need all these templete files installed as well?

Capture.JPG
    1292 x 562 - 62K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    Ivy said:

The Genesis 8 Starter Essentials never did show up in my DIM. but it does on the manual page.

I also notices some new templete files and a new mimic iles as well . lots to down load.

what is the powr pose templete? do we need all these templete files installed as well?

A LOT of updates have the package set with the netadata tag of ONLY 'connect avialable' and since I decline to use connect I have not selected the options in the filters, you may have the same issue?

edited September 2019

Thanks Simon , yea I do not use connect either.    I did do a manual search in the DIM and I also hit the refresh a bunch of times but i was still getting nothing was showing up .  I was able to download everything through the manual account mananger. I'm just sure if i need all those templete's if im not creating content.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • I suppose older generations do not, and will not have this feature?

Face Transfer works only on Genesis 8 figus according to the release notes.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Ivy said:

Thanks Simon , yea I do not use connect either.    I did do a manual search in the DIM and I also hit the refresh a bunch of times but i was still getting nothing was showing up .  I was able to download everything through the manual account mananger. I'm just sure if i need all those templete's if im not creating content.

The male & female essential for Genesis 8 do show up in DIM. they are about 250MB each.

yes they just showed up in mine too a few minutes ago.  but now its to late i already donwloaded and installed them manaully through my daz account mananer

barbult said:
    barbult said:

Thanks.

Please do report it. In the meantime, if you want to do an insert, place the cursor after a space before a letter and you can then enter a space after the new text.

Reported: Request #307812