Object as light source

riccoptriccopt Posts: 0
edited November 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

is it possible to have an object (for example a cube) and make it emit light that will cast shadows without adding and extra light?
from what I have tested using ambient wont do it.

Post edited by riccopt on

Comments

• CyberDogCyberDog Posts: 232
    edited November 2013

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. I applied uberarea light base to the cube and turned off the ambiance. If you turn phantom on the cube will be invisible. The only lighting in these images comes a distant light with shadows off.

shadow02.jpg
    500 x 500 - 33K
    shadow01.jpg
    500 x 500 - 28K
    Post edited by CyberDog on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

Cube, Uber Area light Base Applied. Intensity set to 200% samples set to 32. All lighting is FROM the cube.

Area_Light.png
    500 x 500 - 66K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • riccoptriccopt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

CyberDog said:
    I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. I applied uberarea light base to the cube and turned off the ambiance. If you turn phantom on the cube will be invisible. The only lighting in these images comes a distant light with shadows off.
    I want something like that... I have been playing with the uberlight now... hopefully I will get the desired effect...

seems like I will have to play with those setting now... and that in a few more days I get to do exactly what I want...

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

The reality plugin for DAZStudio also gives the option to set any mesh object in a scene as a light. The cube is the light, and depending on its relative size the shadows are softer or harder based on physics.

reality_light2.png
    650 x 650 - 349K
    reality_light.png
    650 x 650 - 300K
  • ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

Link to Szarks tutorial:

Tutorial Uber Area Lighting: The Basics

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

The reality plugin for DAZStudio also gives the option to set any mesh object in a scene as a light. The cube is the light, and depending on its relative size the shadows are softer or harder based on physics.
    One aspect I forgot to include in my tutorial, thank you for that. I will add this when I update it soon.

Thanks Ben, saved me doing it. :)