How to fit M4 clothes to G2M or G2F and for free!

dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've been using this trick when I needed to apply M4 clothing to G2F for a while, but I wasn't sure if it would work without v4 to G2F (which I've had for a while). I know that this would have nothing to do with it, but I didn't want to go spouting this trick without knowing for sure. Now that Genesis 2 Male is out, I know it works, so here is how to fit M4 clothing to Genesis 2.
Step 1: Load up Genesis Male (G1M)
Step 2: Fit M4 clothing item to G1M
Step 3: Unparent clothing.
Step 4. Delete G1M.
Step 5. Load up Genesis 2 figure.
Step 6. Fit clothing to Genesis 2 figure. When the auto fit options come up, say the clothing was for Genesis and leave the projection template blank.
Step 7. Enjoy!

I'm sure this will work with V4 clothing as well but I haven't got around to testing it. Here is a shot of G2M wearing Volg's Jacket for M4. If you check out a pic I have on the Render Gallery here at Daz http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/1857/ , you'll see G2F wearing it too. Haven't tested the method much but let me know how it works for you guys.

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited November 2013

Very creative. I didn't know we could do that.

Post edited by Slosh on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Very creative. I didn't know we could do that.

This method was used with G2F, I think, but yes, nice that dakkuuan reminded people about it :)

Also you can make your own clone by transfer of M4 iconic shape from Genesis to G2M and some editing but it is a bit more hoops and loops to jump.

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    edited December 1969

I kinda figured this one out on my own, when I needed a man's jacket to fit on G2F. It's always more convenient to have it done automatically but this will suffice for me for now =).

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited November 2013

This is a great method, but it has many flaws. For most people you just can't beat the simplicity and completeness of a professionally produced product (ie the forthcoming M4 shapes for G2 Male). I remember publishing this work around for my V6 review when it first came out. A good portion of the DS community already know about this method.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    edited November 2013

Well, yeah, it all depends on money/skills/preferences, at the end, so I don't see how is learning new things is anybody's loss. I mostly make my clones in ZBrush, but not everybody, sadly, has ZBrush. Workaround for Gen3 clothes (if you have their Iconic Shapes for Genesis) still is better than no comparability at all and I think this is a positive thing.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited November 2013

I meant the fit to Genesis and then fit to G2M was flawed (but good quick fix). Creating a good clone is what is required, but this is beyond what most DS users are up for. So yeah, great for those with the know-how and tools, but a bridge to far for most, so I don't really see the competition.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    I meant the fit to Genesis and then fit to G2M was flawed (but good quick fix). Creating a good clone is what is required, but this is beyond what most DS users are up for. So yeah, great for those with the know-how and tools, but a bridge to far for most, so I don't really see the competition.

Well, you can take M4 clone from Genesis, transfer it to G2M, adjust a bit in feet and such and save as a clone in G2M, - not 100% perfect, because of belly buttons, muscle definitions, small pokethrough, fingers, toes and such, but pretty workable for body outfits if you ok with such fiddling and back and forth resaving.
    edited November 2013

All I'm trying to do is to share the knowledge of tools and techniques users already have in their disposals, that is all. M4 clone is a standard issue in Genesis, Transfer Utility comes with DS4, Save function and Parameter editor as well. As I said it isn't 100% perfect but workable solution which can be used also for Gen3 clones (via Iconic Shapes) to make G2M backward-compatible in some larger degree. I didn't see your comment and following discussions before it was modded away (and as forum notifications drop on me very often I probably won't see it at all) so I'm not trying to argue or dispute anything.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    All I'm trying to do is to share the knowledge of tools and techniques users already have in their disposals, that is all.

Thank you, Kattey. I have used your techniques to transfer some Genesis morphs to Genesis 2 Female. It was fun to learn a new skill. I appreciate that you are expanding on that information for the new Genesis 2 Male. Please keep sharing. Just because I learned some new techniques from you doesn't mean I stopped buying similar vendor products or morph packages. I bought the G2f head and body morphs and I bought the Mallen Lane V4 product. Sometimes, convenience is worth a small additional price. Vendors of good products will develop a following and customers are likely to be repeat customers. I include Slosh in my list of good vendors. I use his Handy Dandy all the time, and I think it is great. I've used Spex, too, and it is also a good product. I don't think that sales of his new M4/G2M product will be significantly damaged by the knowledge you share here. Lets all go back to learning, buying, and having fun!
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Kattey said:
    All I'm trying to do is to share the knowledge of tools and techniques users already have in their disposals, that is all.

Thank you, Kattey. I have used your techniques to transfer some Genesis morphs to Genesis 2 Female. It was fun to learn a new skill. I appreciate that you are expanding on that information for the new Genesis 2 Male. Please keep sharing. Just because I learned some new techniques from you doesn't mean I stopped buying similar vendor products or morph packages. I bought the G2f head and body morphs and I bought the Mallen Lane V4 product. Sometimes, convenience is worth a small additional price. Vendors of good products will develop a following and customers are likely to be repeat customers. I include Slosh in my list of good vendors. I use his Handy Dandy all the time, and I think it is great. I've used Spex, too, and it is also a good product. I don't think that sales of his new M4/G2M product will be significantly damaged by the knowledge you share here. Lets all go back to learning, buying, and having fun!
    I don't know if I'll be able to make any great discoveries (although to find a way to keep ghost bones in autofit would be great) but all I know or can find out is freely yours. Thank you for kind words.
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    barbult said:
    Kattey said:

I don't know if I'll be able to make any great discoveries (although to find a way to keep ghost bones in autofit would be great) but all I know or can find out is freely yours. Thank you for kind words.

That was very nice, and I give credit where credit is due.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    All I'm trying to do is to share the knowledge of tools and techniques users already have in their disposals, that is all. M4 clone is a standard issue in Genesis, Transfer Utility comes with DS4, Save function and Parameter editor as well. As I said it isn't 100% perfect but workable solution which can be used also for Gen3 clones (via Iconic Shapes) to make G2M backward-compatible in some larger degree. I didn't see your comment and following discussions before it was modded away (and as forum notifications drop on me very often I probably won't see it at all) so I'm not trying to argue or dispute anything.

And I am thankful to you!

• hermana5hermana5 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for sharing your knowledge it is appreciated :)

edited December 1969

Thank you all :) In this thread there is a couple of new tutorials, although nothing groundbreaking with exception of very handy short tutorial by Murgatroyd.

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Oh! Really; neat quick fix! Thanks!