Render background?

I have the scene effects background color set to white. The preview and render are dark grey. I have not had that problem before. What did I set wrong somewhere?

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Did you accidentally set the Backdrop to a color as well? The Backdrop will override the Background color.

• hrpschrdhrpschrd Posts: 179

Backdrop color: None.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

in your render settings have you got Render Alpha channel ticked?

as that will do what you are explaining... untick it. yes

Yes, it is un-ticked.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

mm. I dunno

maybe post some screen grabs of your setup will shed some light on it enlightened

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

is the sky on?

is ambient light on? usually it's 20 percents

what time of day is it in sky settings?

is there a sun light in the scene?

did you change altitude?

are you using a sky dome?  is it blocking the light source?  it can happen, i've done it.
    could try setting translucency on the sky dome.
    is the light through transparency ticked in render settings?

edited August 2019

sky is not on, ambient 20%, sun light yes but deleting it makes no difference, unchanged altitude, no sky dome

The background turns out grey instead of dark blue . . . I will try to post an image. You can see the background is dark blue (8,8.90).

I don't have this problem except for this one file and it is a complicated file that I don't want to start over with. I hope you can help!!https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/82/fd632681a026ef1f0ef4b09121d24a.png

Background.png
    1920 x 1080 - 593K
    Post edited by hrpschrd on
  • Still hoping somebody can see my problem here. It is a one-of, but I really need to fix it because the file is pretty complicated and I don't want to start over!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI :)

I think the simplest solution would be to set the Backdrop colour, rather than Background,.it kind of works out the same for the screne you have there.

you could also set the output to png with alpha,. so you can add a different background in a video editor or image editor.

check the Scene Background keys in the sequencer Timeline, as the colour value can be animated over time and there could be an accidental keyframe colour change somewhere.

hope it helps :)

• I have had problems with Backdrops before but this worked perfectly, thanks!!

edited September 2019

I spoke too soon, it did not work but I thought it did because the Camera1 view has the correct dark blue backdrop. I still have a grey background in render even though the background and backdrop are dark blue! There is no change on the scene timeline by the way.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976
    edited September 2019

_try a Cube as Background _Make Like Flat Wall

_Just Bigger than Camera view  _ Make it colour you want

thanx_ _

Post edited by ed3D on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

rotating infinite plane makes a handy background prop

when all else fails, delete all the lights and start fresh

instead of orbiting the camera to the back, rotate everything in the scene to face the camera they way you want to pov it

• Thanks ed3D. Such a simple solution and it worked perfectly. I don't know why this file got corrupted (?) but at least I can use it now.

Again, thanks all! This forum is so much help.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    hrpschrd said:

Thanks ed3D. Such a simple solution and it worked perfectly. I don't know why this file got corrupted (?) but at least I can use it now.

When you make a cube, and then flatten it like a big screen TV, you have to use the planar shader type to get your image on there. Depending upon how you rotate and flatten it, you have to switch around on the planar box to get the image in front.

I do this often because backdrop images I want to use are often out of proportion to the distance in the scene or the camera angle.  Can you post a render anyways of what you get that is not correct now?  I am really curious....  I did not see your xyz plane in the set up.  What are the coordinates of your group's main focus?  Close to 0,0,0 ???   I once had a scene that was accidently set up large and my bits were hundreds of units away from the centre and the lighting got all screwed up because of it.

smiley  Silene

edited September 2019
    hrpschrd said:

Thanks ed3D. Such a simple solution and it worked perfectly. I don't know why this file got corrupted (?) but at least I can use it now.

When you make a cube, and then flatten it like a big screen TV, you have to use the planar shader type to get your image on there. Depending upon how you rotate and flatten it, you have to switch around on the planar box to get the image in front.

I do this often because backdrop images I want to use are often out of proportion to the distance in the scene or the camera angle.  Can you post a render anyways of what you get that is not correct now?  I am really curious....  I did not see your xyz plane in the set up.  What are the coordinates of your group's main focus?  Close to 0,0,0 ???   I once had a scene that was accidently set up large and my bits were hundreds of units away from the centre and the lighting got all screwed up because of it.

smiley  Silene

My image above has several molecules which fit within the standard x,y.z grid when you open a new file. All in the middle of the scene from 0,0,0. I have two spots and one light pointing at the objects from left back, right, and left front respectively. I put the lights just out of the Camera1 view so that the objects would be bright against the dark blue. Pointed them carefully too. When I put the large dark blue wall behind the x,y.z plane, the Camera1 image you see here was turned dark blue. I accidentally put the wall in front of one of the lights so the color was a little darker but moving the wall behind the light restored the dark blue. Simple and effective manual backdrop. I have not had this problem with any other file so I don't think I will need this again.

I am almost ready to load these animations into a YouTube series on Microwave Chemistry. Not going to be viral for sure!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976
    edited September 2019
    hrpschrd said:

_you're very welcome_

one could suppose like an  Blue/Green screen ,  then

Post edited by ed3D on