Locking feet for idle animations

I'm trying to create an idle animation for a G8M character. So far I've been able to get some good arm and head motion going, but trying to position anything from the waist down is virtually (actually) impossible.

I've tried using pins with the Active Pose Tool, but even if I wanted to reposition the hips ever so slightly, the legs will slide.  I need a way to keep the feet at the same place at all times, while the character shifts his weight from one leg to the other in a loop..  Are there any utilities, or workarounds that could possibly address the problem?

Comments

• Have you looked at the improved IK tools in the current Public Build, 4.12.0.47?

• Didn't know there was a new public build, with improved IK tools.  That'll definitely warrant a look tomorrow morning.

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

The other thing you could look at is mcasual’s mcjAutoLimb2015 script https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts6/mcjautolimb2015

In its simplest usage, it will update an animation so that either a foot or a hand is in a fixed position by fiddling with the settings on the arm/leg bones.. He’s also got a script that will “lock” the orientation of a foot/hand, which can be used after mcjAutoLimb2015 if necessary.

• chris the strangerchris the stranger Posts: 132
    edited August 2019

Okay, two one questions:

1) How do I obtain the latest public build?  I have it set to show public builds in Daz Installer, but no sign of an update to Studio.

Think I found it. I just add Daz Studio PRO Beta to my cart. Sneaky store item.

2 1) The script in the other post says it's compatible with Genesis 3...any chance that works with G8, or should I make some G3 standing poses and then convert them to G8M prior to animating?

Post edited by chris the stranger on
  • rames44rames44 Posts: 329

The mcasual script works just fine with G8. (He hasn’t updated the description since G8 was released)

Okay, two one questions:

1) How do I obtain the latest public build?  I have it set to show public builds in Daz Installer, but no sign of an update to Studio.

Think I found it. I just add Daz Studio PRO Beta to my cart. Sneaky store item.

2 1) The script in the other post says it's compatible with Genesis 3...any chance that works with G8, or should I make some G3 standing poses and then convert them to G8M prior to animating?

• Question related to using the public betas:

What files do I need to copy/paste in order to use my custom configurations for Daz Studio 4 in the public beta?  I tried dumping everything in appdata/roaming/DAZ3D/Studio4 that ended with a *.dsx into the parallel Studio4 Public Build directory, but that only affected the menus in the workspace.  It also reintroduced the beta to the concept of DS crashing every time I close it.

Spent a lot of time setting up the custom keys and mouse controls.  I could live with re-arranging the layout again, but the other setttings? That's a deal-breaker.

• Question related to using the public betas:

What files do I need to copy/paste in order to use my custom configurations for Daz Studio 4 in the public beta?  I tried dumping everything in appdata/roaming/DAZ3D/Studio4 that ended with a *.dsx into the parallel Studio4 Public Build directory, but that only affected the menus in the workspace.  It also reintroduced the beta to the concept of DS crashing every time I close it.

Spent a lot of time setting up the custom keys and mouse controls.  I could live with re-arranging the layout again, but the other setttings? That's a deal-breaker.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/copy_ui_from_channel/start will copy the UI layout, run in the version to which you want to apply the UI from a different release channel

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/save_mapped_paths/start will produce a script to set up directories - run the linked script in the version you want to use the directroy set-up from, run the script it produces in the version tyo which you wish to add those directories