Wiping the slate clean?

murph101murph101 Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'd like to uninstall DAZ completely so that I can re-install everything with a clean slate.

I've been monkeying around with trying to get DAZ 4.6 installed and functional (off and on) for two months. In that time, I've uninstalled and re-installed DAZ, Carrara, and all of my content at least 10 times. In other posts, I couldn't locate content in Carrara, and I followed some advice and installed anything prior to Genesis in another directory in MyDocuments, which worked, but then I started having troubles with DAZ content while in DAZ.

I uninstalled all my content and DAZ, then re-installed it today to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ3D Library in DIM. I changed the content manager in Preferences to reflect this.

It almost appears to work, a base Genesis figure comes up, I go to the Actors, People, see several characters, select a female, but then says it can't find the .duf file in the custom path I tried to eliminate just this morning.

I'm pretty sure I've changed all the folder paths I can in DAZ and DIM, even made sure there was no sign of DAZ on the hard drive after I uninstalled it this morning. Is there something hanging around in the Registry?

How can I wipe the slate clean and not have these lingering paths hanging around?

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

murph101 said:
    It almost appears to work, a base Genesis figure comes up, I go to the Actors, People, see several characters, select a female, but then says it can't find the .duf file in the custom path I tried to eliminate just this morning.

This suggests you might be using Smart Content or Categories view. Have you been resetting your content database in between content wipes? Smart Content and Categories don't show your actual content, they show a database of links to your content — if you've re-installed to a different place, then all of those links will be pointing to where your content was. You have to reset your database and bring the data back in from its new location. I'm not sure how that's done (and doing it wrong makes Bad Things™ happen), so you'd better wait for someone who knows what they're doing to turn up in the thread.
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

murph101 said:

This Line right here tells me you HAD two mapped folders before now, and it says that both held meta data that was read by the Import of MetaData. If all Content is in one folder now and and your seeing this you need to repair the CMS Database by using the Content DB Maintenance menu in this order... Run Each one at a time...
    Capture-001.png
    289 x 265 - 22K
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    murph101 said:

This Line right here tells me you HAD two mapped folders before now, and it says that both held meta data that was read by the Import of MetaData. If all Content is in one folder now and and your seeing this you need to repair the CMS Database by using the Content DB Maintenance menu in this order... Run Each one at a time...

This is probably off-topic, but since you put such a nice picture up, what do Condense Database and Consolidate File References do?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That is a good question, the Condense Database is just that, it will compress the database file which in turn will take more time at the boot of DAZ Studio for it to de-compress before it is read. Can we say even longer pause before the program responds? It is my view that the Database as it is has stability trouble, I would avoid compression until the data base is stable or will no longer be updated, as in you will add no more content to the program. The other feature I admit I've never used or tried to figure out. I do believe it is covered in the DIM PDF file but I've never needed that feature, that I know of, so never bothered to study it.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,180
    edited December 1969

Condensing and compressing are not the same thing. Condensing the database reduces its size by removing unused space (caused by the way the database allocates space to speed some things up - constantly resizing takes time, so once the space is allocated, it isn't removed... to save time... at the expense of space), as the tooltip indicates. "Getting all of the air out" you might say. Compressing on the other hand would involve reducing the size of the database by reducing the size of the used space - moving things around so they take up even less space. Both affect size on disk, and both affect speed, but only one negatively affects speed... and that is compressing, which is not what the option in question does.

-Rob

• murph101murph101 Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

To wrap this thread, yes, these steps worked. I am now able to locate the content, as well as create Genesis characters and import FaceGen faces for the.

Hooray! Thanks, everyone!