The Forbidden Forest (and related products) [Commercial]

Wicked CreationsWicked Creations Posts: 237
edited August 2019 in Daz PA Commercial Products

The Forbidden Forest is a two part environment beginning with a path to the forest and a graveyard section with a pumpkin patch (in the autumn preload version), there are summer and autumn preloads in both Iray and 3Delight, then once you pass the gargoyle statues and guardian tree you will have entered the "Forbidden Forest!"  The forest is filled with evil trees and thorny vines, thick fog permeates the forest for an extra sinister look that tells you this is NOT a place you should be!  I orignally made it to include the "Classic oil lamp" as a source of light and to have the "Snap Dragons" as an added danger but someone advised me (my brother actually lol!) that it may be more beneficial to the Daz community to separate the items as not everyone may need a creppy forest but many will sometime need a realistic Oil lamp, the 3 items can of course be bundled.

Everything in the Forbidden Forest is logically ordered and grouped to make hiding large sections, weeds, trees, gravestones etc. very easy to do in the scene tab, as it is a heavy scene mostly due to the nature of instanced weeds and trees with leaves, I have devised a way to prevent screen lag by creating a unique "drop down" menu that can hide or swap the high poly items for low poly non-renderable versions, how to use the forest is all explained in a fun and colorful .pdf manual I've included.  Every prop you see can be loaded separately in BOTH Iray or 3Delight so you can create your own scary forest or graveyard scene as you wish.

Post edited by Wicked Creations on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

This looks really great! 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I'm lining up to buy!

• I want it, if only for those spooky trees. Nice work!

• Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I will check back here frequently once it is live in the Daz store to see if anyone has any questions about the Forest and it's use, cheers!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Oh, Wow! Can't wait. Can you load the ground seperately too and start from scratch?

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,037

This product looks really interesting...

Maybe you could add a top view of the area... so we can see how big it is?

Or is this product modular/a construction kit (which would be much preferable)?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    gerster said:

Maybe you could add a top view of the area... so we can see how big it is?

There are several pics on the product page which give an overview of the set: https://www.daz3d.com/the-forbidden-forest

• James_HJames_H Posts: 996

In my cart. I may have to hide there from my bank manager.

• wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239
    edited August 2019

The trees and the snap dragons are amazing, but it would have been better if they had more bones for different poses.

I get the following error message if i open the iray scene:

data/daz 3d/3 layer iray shader preset sample/base/overlay skin shader.dsf is missing

Post edited by wizard1200 on
  • Wicked CreationsWicked Creations Posts: 237
    edited August 2019

@ Spit: Yes, indeed you can load the ground separately and create your own scary scene!

@ gerster: The inner / main ground is 40 m diameter, it is exactly the same size as the grey floor grid, it can be modular but it is mainly loaded as a fully populated scene.

@ jash147: lol...!  Don't hide in there too long!

@ wizard1200: Thanks, ya I just made the trees to be props with some morphs, but if the Forbidden Forest is successful I would love to make another forest with trees that have more controls like grabbing and eating lol.  That is a strange error message, even on my old Windows 7 testing computer I had no issues when testing, it sounds like you are missing that one file in the data folder that the Terrain shader needs to work properly, try perhaps to download manually and install that file in the data folder with the correct folder structure of course, if that doesn't work you may need to contact support.

Post edited by Wicked Creations on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited August 2019

Thanks for the answer. Woulda gotten it anyway. In fact I just did!!!!

Woowie. Such a great idea but can be used in other ways too.  smiley

Post edited by Spit on
    edited August 2019

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

I have downloaded and installed the Forbidden Forest manually, but i get always the same error message.

If the Forbidden Forest is successful you could perhaps release an expansion pack to improve some parts of it.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

awesome

• @ Spit: Happy to hear you are a satisfied customer smiley

@ wizard1200: I don't know why you are still getting that message?  The terrain shader is only on the ground portions of the forest and part of the old gate I believe, but of course still necessary to get that "non-tiled" look, I guess you will have to contact tech support here, I've never had to do that as a customer before so hopefully it's not to difficult.  I would LOVE to make an expansion just in time for Halloween, tell me, what would you love to see?  More scary trees, scary plants etc.?  Cheers!

edited August 2019

Everything except the terrain works without any problems and looks amazing. Hopefully the tech support will solve the problem.

It would be great if the expansion pack could include scary trees and plants with more bones to create more poses, a scarecrow for G8F / G8M and the entrance to a tomb.

• @ wizard1200: That sucks about the terrain shader problem, I'm surprised my idea didn't work, that shader only requires 2 files to work, a .duf file from the "shader presets" folder and of course the .dsf file called "overlay skin shader" from the data folder, I hope tech can help you with this!  I love your Tomb entrance idea, maybe that would be at the end of the Forbidden Forest II perhaps, lot's of good ideas here, thanks!

• what would you love to see?  More scary trees, scary plants etc.?  Cheers!

DEFINITELY trees that can grab and eat things while making a variety of faces! 
    Scarecrows - heck yeah!  Cool scarecrows (with some style/shader options and expression morphs) would be an Insta-Buy!

• I'm getting a missing file callout for <data/daz 3d/3 layer iray shader preset sample/base/overlay skin shader.dsf> I used install manager to download and install the product.  Here's what I've tried so far:  Still using install manager, I uninstalled the package.  I then tried to reinstall it.  No joy.  I then deleted the package and then re-downloaded it and installed it again but I still get the callout.  Any help would be appreciated.

• @ Googer: Those are all interesting ideas, I definately want to make another  Forbidden Forest, a sequel or continuation of the existing one, I will take your ideas into consideration wink

@ rendersapien_335: Hey, your issue sounds similar to wizards above, it looks like some computers can't find the "overlay skin shade.dsf" file in the data folder, can you try what I suggested above to wizard, download manually (not using Install Manager), then place the overlay skin shader file in the proper directory, here's it is on my computer "My DAZ 3D library / data / DAZ3D / 3 Layer Iray Shader Preset Sample / Base", put the .dsf file into the Base folder and let me know if it works!

• deankutdeankut Posts: 298

@Wicked Creations: I'm loading the scenes, but there are certain things that I cannot make visible. (See photo) Can you help? No matter what I do, they will not appear.

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 8.22.01 AM.png
    1450 x 968 - 204K
  • @ deankut: Those grouped items will be visible ONLY if you have "show HIGH poly props" active.  In your scene tab select "FF landscape" at the top and look in your Parameters pane and under "Toggle Visibility", in the drop down menu select "show HIGH poly props", everything will be available to control again!  There is an ERC control that prevents you from clicking on the eyeball when the other 2 options are active, I made it this way to prevent peoples screen from "lagging" too much due to the many instances of weeds, trees and such, hope this helps!

• deankutdeankut Posts: 298

@Wicked Creations: Thanks! Wonderful asset, btw! Great work!! ;)

• @ deankut: Thanks for the compliment...!

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,885
    Wow, this looks like a lot of fun to use. Hopefully it's released soon!
  • James_HJames_H Posts: 996
    Wow, this looks like a lot of fun to use. Hopefully it's released soon!

Already here: https://www.daz3d.com/forbidden-forest-bundle

• @benniewoodell: Thanks for the compliment, it's been out 12 days and counting wink.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,885
    Oh! Wow, thanks for the heads up, I don't know how I missed it. Going in the cart now!
  • SalukiSaluki Posts: 10

@ Googer: Those are all interesting ideas, I definately want to make another  Forbidden Forest, a sequel or continuation of the existing one, I will take your ideas into consideration wink

@ rendersapien_335: Hey, your issue sounds similar to wizards above, it looks like some computers can't find the "overlay skin shade.dsf" file in the data folder, can you try what I suggested above to wizard, download manually (not using Install Manager), then place the overlay skin shader file in the proper directory, here's it is on my computer "My DAZ 3D library / data / DAZ3D / 3 Layer Iray Shader Preset Sample / Base", put the .dsf file into the Base folder and let me know if it works!

I'm experiencing the same issue as @ rendersapien_335 and receiving the same message. I manually downloaded the package and there is no file of that name anywhere to be found. I'm running a Windows based system, if that has any effect.

• @benniewoodell: Thanks for the purchase, let me know what you would like to see in a follow up to the Forbidden Forest..!!!

@Saluki: Sorry to hear you are having this issue too, that is very strange that you can't find the "overlay skin shader.dsf" file, it should be in the data/DAZ3D folder, very odd.  I too use a Windows system, I even tested the Forest on my 10 year old Acer that still has Windows 7 and Daz found the .dsf file no problem, maybe try donwloading once more manually, if still no shader file then contact support here I guess, I'll even try downloading it from the store here to see if it's missing or not, I'll get back to you shortly.

• @Saluki: Hey, I`ve contacted support myself to see why some customers seem to be missing that .dsf file that is needed for the terrain shader to work properly, I don't know why some people seem to not have it in their data folder, when I hear back something I will let you know, but of course that may be early next week as the weekend is here, sorry for the inconvenience!