Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

I have had a 1st gen i-core i5 intel CPU (ASUS EP121 Tablet) that would shut off the computer every time it got to 105C so I guess GPUs can run hotter.

He's using Ferenheit. His GPU is only at 45C, which is very low for a GPU under load.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Paradigm said:

I have had a 1st gen i-core i5 intel CPU (ASUS EP121 Tablet) that would shut off the computer every time it got to 105C so I guess GPUs can run hotter.

He's using Ferenheit. His GPU is only at 45C, which is very low for a GPU under load.

OK, that makes more sense.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

:)  Her not Him. its easy to confuse..lol

yes are correct I am not using metric settings so my temps are read in Ferenheit my gpu can run as hot as 95C or 195 Ferenheit before the cores start meltdown and give me a BSOD,

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:
    maxikg said:

It seems one of the culprits of this "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\dzcore.dll" at 0033:00000000C903E420, DzIKNode::isCreatingChain()+17744 byte(s)" crash are those three entries:

Leonides02, check, if your file has those and try to remove them along with keys (animation doesn't seem to suffer at all), and save the file? It should not crash during saving anymore. I'm double checking this now.

Edit: Yup, confirmed.

It looks like you found the issue I'm having with the power cord. A couple pages back, I shared the duf files for a power cord that crashed 4.12 on save, and one that didn't crash 4.12 on save. After reading your post, I loaded each and took a screenshot of the timeline. Here's the comparison:

Power Cord Timeline Comparison

It took me a while to realize the ik-[bone] listed under properties was referring to the pins on those bones. It also took me several tries at removing pins and removing keys and so on, before I finally realized I could select the ik-[bone] line and delete the line, (the IK Chain reference?) using the delete key on my keyboard. I'd tried right-click and there wasn't a delete option for the line.

Once I deleted the line for all the IK Chains in the Timeline, I was able to save the file in 4.12. To further test, while in 4.12, I added new pins to several bones in the cord. At this point, there were no IK Chain references under the Power Cord in Timeline. I then saved the scene. (No crash.) I reopened the scene and the Timeline showed IK Chain references for the pins I had made before saving the file. I then saved the file again. Again it did not crash.

I just want to say, it isn't going to be obvious we need to check the Timeline for scenes saved in a previous version of Daz Studio, especially for those of us who aren't doing animations. I hope Daz comes up with an elegant solution before 4.12 is Released.

(I also hope this issue is the only one crashing 4.12 on save!)

Rob says they have now idetnified the issue, and the fix should be listed in the change log fairly soon.

YAY! Happy dance!
    heart

(Or in other words, that's really good news!)

Speaking as a retired software type I appreciate your persistence and debugging skill. You are an example of the reason behind the public beta (well - by actually finding the cause you're head and shoulders above, but smiley ). Studio has reached a complexity level such that formally testing every configuration of every option would require an enormous staff just to supervise the private beta testers - and thus the reason behind the public beta

Er - sorry - <soapox-mode off> smiley

<<Applause>>!!!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    maxikg said:

It seems one of the culprits of this "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\dzcore.dll" at 0033:00000000C903E420, DzIKNode::isCreatingChain()+17744 byte(s)" crash are those three entries:

namffuak said:

Speaking as a retired software type I appreciate your persistence and debugging skill. You are an example of the reason behind the public beta (well - by actually finding the cause you're head and shoulders above, but smiley ). Studio has reached a complexity level such that formally testing every configuration of every option would require an enormous staff just to supervise the private beta testers - and thus the reason behind the public beta

<<Applause>>!!!

I'd like to add my <<Applause>> for @maxikg's work. Without his input, I'd never have known what was causing that stupid power cord to crash my scene when I tried to save it. Well done, maxikg. Very well done.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495

:me: points out IK figures are the likely cause of crashes

:everyone else: ignores me, points out same problem.

:problem fixed: yay, thanks everyone else

:me: plots revenge

;)  Glad it's fixed at least. Downloading update now.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited August 2019

Found a bug.

Attempting to render using a Titan RTX with TCC ("Turing Compute Cluster") driver mode turned on under either 12.0.033 or 12.0.042 Beta results in the following error chain:

2019-07-24 00:33:36.927 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend error: Unknown OptiX internal exception: Failed to load nvrtum64.dll.2019-07-24 00:33:36.927 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend error: optixDeviceContextCreate(nullptr,&amp;opt,&amp;m_optix_context) failed: Unknown error2019-07-24 00:33:36.932 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.12  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (TITAN RTX): Scene setup failed2019-07-24 00:33:36.932 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.12  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (TITAN RTX): Device failed while rendering2019-07-24 00:33:36.932 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.12  IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.2019-07-24 00:33:36.936 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.12  IRAY   rend warn : No devices activated. Enabling CPU fallback.2019-07-24 00:33:36.936 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.12  IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

Manually copying the file nvrtum64.dll to "c:/Windows/system32" completely resolves the issue. Judging by this thread over at Nvidia's devtalk forums, the issue seems to be with either Daz Studio or the DS Iray plugin itself not looking in the right places for the OptiX DLLs. 

Already submitted this as a service ticket. smiley

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  •  

There's also a clearly labelled Download Filters button on the Ready to Download tab, which will achieve the same as clicking the gear icon and then going to the Downloads tab.

Obviously not that clearly labelled since I seemed to have missed it even though I did check the show hidden box right beside it.  Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees LOL.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited August 2019

Found another one.

Rendering with the OptiX Prime acceleration checkbox under Advanced Render Settings unchecked results in error messages in the log file relating to the box being checked:

Whereas rendering with it checked results in an error free log file:

Indicating that the checkbox itself is actually functioning in reverse of how it should be (feature call on when unchecked, off when checked.)

4.12.0.042 Beta - OptiX Prime toggled on WITHOUT error messages.png
    1914 x 1065 - 175K
    4.12.0.042 Beta - OptiX Prime toggled off WITH error messages.png
    1924 x 1043 - 183K
    Post edited by RayDAnt on
    edited August 2019
    L'Adair said:
    maxikg said:

namffuak said:

<<Applause>>!!!

I'd like to add my <<Applause>> for @maxikg's work. Without his input, I'd never have known what was causing that stupid power cord to crash my scene when I tried to save it. Well done, maxikg. Very well done.

congratulations L'Adair & maxikg on a good catch. can you tell me what power cord you were using? I've been rendering a hand keyframed  dargon3 animation and ive ben using the ik chain system on the tail and wings and and have not had any crashes with the IK and  no issues with saving my scene & Ive been switching between daz 10 and daz 12.42 beta so I was kind of surprised I'm not having any issues like you guys are having that is why i going to see if i had that same power cord to see if i could replicate what you guys are doing so I case i need to find a work around ,

anyway good work guys smiley  and thanks for the imput

Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:
    L'Adair said:
    maxikg said:

namffuak said:

<<Applause>>!!!

congratulations L'Adair & maxikg on a good catch. can you tell me what power cord you were using? I've been rendering a hand keyframed  dargon3 animation and ive ben using the ik chain system on the tail and wings and and have not had any crashes with the IK and  no issues with saving my scene & Ive been switching between daz 10 and daz 12.42 beta so I was kind of surprised I'm not having any issues like you guys are having that is why i going to see if i had that same power cord to see if i could replicate what you guys are doing so I case i need to find a work around ,

anyway good work guys smiley  and thanks for the imput

Well, giving credit where credit is due, (better late than not at all,) SnowSultan mentioned it being an issue with older items with lots of bones, (any comments of IK would have gone right over my head at that point,) which is what made me look at the power cord in the first place. Based on that, I suspect newer products don't have the same issue, but I haven't tested that theory.

The power cord is from a pre-Iray table lamp set from InaneGlory.

edited August 2019

:me: points out IK figures are the likely cause of crashes

:everyone else: ignores me, points out same problem.

:problem fixed: yay, thanks everyone else

:me: plots revenge

;)  Glad it's fixed at least. Downloading update now.

@SnowSultan, I would never have looked at the power cord in the first place if not for your comments earlier in this thread. I thought the issue had something to do with dForce. And I didn't really understand all the talk of IK and chains and so on. I still don't understand it fully, but I do know my problem with the power cord had to do pinning bones. I apologize for not mentioning you earlier, but the truth is, I felt uncomfortable with any praise coming my direction on this and I was quickly deflecting it to someone more worthy. After all, the only thing I did was follow the lead of others, like you and maxikg.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited August 2019

Thanks L'Adair

I guess it must be with older products So I'll give mill-dragon a try this afternoon and see if that give me the same issue,  i do not own the lamp set to try it.  but i've been making  IK chain links to control all the bones at once through the ik  for the tail and wings of the dragon 3  instead of having to keyframe each bone segment of the tail.   and I resave the scene when i am done and ready for rendering .  I use daz 10( I have issues with daz 11 not working will with older scenes and crashing) to build the scene and preload some dragon3 animated pose sets I created a while back & then relaod the scene in daz 12.042 then create the ik chain link for the tail and wing for editing the bones i need the rotation for and resave again before rendering and i have not had any crashes so like you said it may be happening with just older bones .

h1.JPG
    1919 x 1047 - 263K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495

L'Adair, thanks but I was being sarcastic (although I have had a few bad experiences with people taking credit for 3D stuff I've done in the past). I'm glad the problem is fixed and thanks for helping narrow it down too.

• mikmodmikmod Posts: 65

I agree, SnowSultan, you were the first to point it out to IK!

Thanks, L'Adair! You documented the bug way better than me by the way - I just pointed out the damn culprit, without the details :)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

L'Adair, thanks but I was being sarcastic (although I have had a few bad experiences with people taking credit for 3D stuff I've done in the past). I'm glad the problem isfixed and thanks for helping narrow it down too.

My apologies as well - I missed your original statement (or, more likely, it went right over my head blush).

Ivy said:

Thanks L'Adair

I guess it must be with older products So I'll give mill-dragon a try this afternoon and see if that give me the same issue,  i do not own the lamp set to try it.  but i've been making  IK chain links to control all the bones at once through the ik  for the tail and wings of the dragon 3  instead of having to keyframe each bone segment of the tail.   and I resave the scene when i am done and ready for rendering .  I use daz 10( I have issues with daz 11 not working will with older scenes and crashing) to build the scene and preload some dragon3 animated pose sets I created a while back & then relaod the scene in daz 12.042 then create the ik chain link for the tail and wing for editing the bones i need the rotation for and resave again before rendering and i have not had any crashes so like you said it may be happening with just older bones .

As I said earlier, I'm barely above clueless when it comes to IK and IK Chains. However, if I read the above correctly, you have created the IK Chain for the tail and wings in 4.12. What I experienced would be the equivalent of you creating the IK Chain for those in 4.10, (anything prior to 4.12, actually,) before saving and bringing into 4.12.

What I actually did was Pin Translation of several bones in the cord. I don't know how that relates to IK Chains, or if it relates to them at all! lol

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could share a link to information, not too technical, on what IK and IK Chains are, and how to use them. I feel like I'm flying blind here.

@SnowSultan,
    @maxikg, Guess we're just the Three [code]Musketeers, then. All for One and One for All!
    laugh

This information is not exactly the same as daz IK Solver .   but you can get some basic knowledge of how to use Inverse Kinematics and how to make chains and handles with autodesk help desk you just kind of have to swap Daz for maya and relies some tools are not avialble in daz like they are in maya like the Hard surface pinning tool and  Autofollow IK animation chains  I hope daz will put those in someday . BTW I had my first crash on save , but i think it maybe because we had a close lighten strike and & the power went out forcing me to run of my battery back which I only have 15 minutes of run time to save and shut down so in my hast i think the power flicker booggered my save the log file stop, logging at the crash

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-07C3BA47-32BB-477B-B6C5-1090E5C9B81C-htm.html

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited August 2019
    L'Adair said:

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could share a link to information, not too technical, on what IK and IK Chains are, and how to use them. I feel like I'm flying blind here.

TBH, IK sounds really exotic and mystical.  But it's really actual simple for users.  IK means basically, if you grab my finger (gently of course lol) and gently pull it in a certain direction my hand, wrist, forearm, arm, and shoulder all follow.  There's more going on yet, like arm twist and shoulder twist, etc.  Those (the bones) all make up the IK chain in the virtual world.  IK standing for Inverse Kinetics.  Compare that to FK, or foward Kinetics.  First your shoulder moves, then your arm, etc, until you reach your finger.  Cos, animation/posing is all computer driven you need mathematical solvers for this to determine how the rest of the chain responds as you say pull the finger.  Our brains do that naturally of course.  

If you want to read more search for "IK vs FK".  Should show many videos showing the diff.

PS.  L'Adair, quite often run across your technical contributions moving stuff forward.  So, for you,  a virtual sunny bouquet of yellow sunflowers as appreciation fory our kind generous humble technical nature that you share so freely around here, regardless whether you know the answer or pitch in to figure it out.  Should be an emoji for that smiley

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
    edited August 2019

@Ivy, Thank you for the link. I'll go take a look at it now.

Saxa, Thank you for the quick overview. I think it was just what I needed ATM.

PS.  L'Adair, quite often run across your technical contributions moving stuff forward.  So, for you,  a virtual sunny bouquet of yellow sunflowers as appreciation fory our kind generous humble technical nature that you share so freely around here, regardless whether you know the answer or pitch in to figure it out.  Should be an emoji for that
    smiley

Thank you. blush

(I'm happy to help, where I can.)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • L'Adair said:

IK is short for Inverse Kinematics. When you pose a figure, where you rotate a node and nodes further down the hierarchy maintain their relative position to that node, you are using what is referred to as Forward Kinematics (FK). IK works such that you move a target to a position in space and a hierarchy of nodes are adjusted in order to achieve that position - starting with the deepest node in the hierarchy. Which nodes are explicitly involved in trying to achieve that position is defined by an IK Chain - a specific sequence of nodes. When the nodes defined by the IK Chain cannot achieve the desired position on their own, nodes higher in the hierarchy begin to get involved.

Hopefully it isn't too technical for you smiley

Okay. I've taken a few minutes to try a couple other products: Daz Dragon 3, Daz Housecat (without the new hair,) and one of the Worms from Mechasar. In every case, pinning a bone in 4.11 before saving caused 4.12 to create the ik_[bone] entry when loading. And caused 4.12 to crash when saving.

I think it's safe to say, it isn't the age of the object.

L'Adair said:

IK is short for Inverse Kinematics. When you pose a figure, where you rotate a node and nodes further down the hierarchy maintain their relative position to that node, you are using what is referred to as Forward Kinematics (FK). IK works such that you move a target to a position in space and a hierarchy of nodes are adjusted in order to achieve that position - starting with the deepest node in the hierarchy. Which nodes are explicitly involved in trying to achieve that position is defined by an IK Chain - a specific sequence of nodes. When the nodes defined by the IK Chain cannot achieve the desired position on their own, nodes higher in the hierarchy begin to get involved.

Hopefully it isn't too technical for you smiley

I've actually seen this in action, and used it when posing. But I didn't have a clue what it was called. Now I do.

Thank you for the simplified explanation. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only who will benefit from it.

edited August 2019

Hi L'Adair

Okay I am not pinning anything so maybe that is why I'm not having the issues like you are.   Have you tried "parenting too" instead of pinning it too?   I think the reason I am not getting any crashes is because I have been parenting the ik head chain or handle instead of pinning them, The only reason i could think of for pinning a bone or joint is if you would not want the rotation/translation of a joint or bone to move and want to stay in place. example would be like you had a character with a leg in a cast and you wanted the leg not to bend at the knee & foot. then you would pin the knee to the shin bone & then to the foot bone to keep them in place so it would not to move during the animation cycle. or if you had a hard surface you would want to pin the foot or hand  bone to the surface . if Daz had a hardsurface solver tool we could pin just one bone in the chain to the surface we selected and the IK chain parented to the bones  would follow the surface, in turn forcing the foot bone to remain at that surface level.  but that is not offered as a option yet. 

by parenting the ik handle or the chain linked together to the bone or sequence of bones allows the bone to follow the ik chain as you translate them on the timeline.  to bad there is no autofollow for the IK chain that would make things much easier linking skeletons configurations.

So far i got the translation rotations of X-Y-Z pretty figured out now which has helped   x= side to side  y=up & down    z= forward and back  and it repeats for the rotation and scale of each ik too 

This is just a suggestion for the daz guys , I noticed there is no lock or paddle lock option on the timeline, none for keyframe editor or graph editor either,  it would be nice once we were done with any one line on the timeline editorwe were working on that we could lock it, as to not accidently re-edit it again. something like animate2 has for the sub frames. But it just a suggestion.

Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:

Hi L'Adair

Okay I am not pinning anything so maybe that is why I'm not having the issues like you are.   Have you tried "parenting too" instead of pinning it too?   I think the reason I am not getting any crashes is because I have been parenting the ik head chain or handle instead of pinning them, The only reason i could think of for pinning a bone or joint is if you would not want the rotation/translation of a joint or bone to move and want to stay in place. example would be like you had a character with a leg in a cast and you wanted the leg not to bend at the knee & foot. then you would pin the knee to the shin bone & then to the foot bone to keep them in place so it would not to move during the animation cycle. or if you had a hard surface you would want to pin the foot or hand  bone to the surface . if Daz had a hardsurface solver tool we could pin just one bone in the chain to the surface we selected and the IK chain parented to the bones  would follow the surface, in turn forcing the foot bone to remain at that surface level.  but that is not offered as a option yet. 

by parenting the ik handle or the chain linked together to the bone or sequence of bones allows the bone to follow the ik chain as you translate them on the timeline.  to bad there is no autofollow for the IK chain that would make things much easier linking skeletons configurations.

So far i got the translation rotations of X-Y-Z pretty figured out now which has helped   x= side to side  y=up & down    z= forward and back  and it repeats for the rotation and scale of each ik too 

This is just a suggestion for the daz guys , I noticed there is no lock or paddle lock option on the timeline, none for keyframe editor or graph editor either,  it would be nice once we were done with any one line on the timeline editorwe were working on that we could lock it, as to not accidently re-edit it again. something like animate2 has for the sub frames. But it just a suggestion.

I've barely learned how to Pin. How do you "parent the ik head chain or handle"? All I've ever seen were the Pin icons in the tool widget, and until recently, they didn't seem to work.

I found a big mistake in an image I did recently. I'd replaced the floor with a plane as I needed a larger area, and I'd moved it to barely intersect the doorsill of the set. Turns out, the doorsill had extra height, and my floor didn't come up to the bottom of the columns, leaving a gap. (Here's the final image, with the floor moved up.) By pinning the girl's hand in place, I was able to move her up without losing the placement over the cross piece. And by pinning the mother's hands to the girl's waist, I was able to move the mother's legs up without losing the placement of her hands. Redoing the pose was surprisingly easy, using Pins.

edited August 2019

I'll try my best to  explain this with out confusing everyone to much

In the scene tab  you can parent the the Ik-chain  you create for the bone and name it Bone-Handle-   use that as the first link in the chain.  , use that has your push/pull/translate translate/rotate handle for the joint or bone controled under the parameters tab the rest of the IK links you create, you want to parent to each other in secession to create a chain. so when you translate the first ik link the rest of the chains follows that is why i said a autofollower would help make that much easier

its easy to parent a IK link to the bone or joint

first open scene tab and load something with bones or joints

next click the bone or joint you want to use the IK solver for  and then

Next go " create tab" on top of daz studio and scroll down & click create new IK chain, a Box will pop up allowing you to name it then click it. & you will see a new IK chain with that name in the scene tab,

Next right click the IK-chain and parent it to the bone you want it to control or use to connect other bones, when you do you will see the ik chain move to the bone under the scene tab.

Next now open your timeline editor , make sure you have advance view checked. and you will see the properties for the bone and you will see the IKchain also in the same property wndow . use the chain to translate the how you want the bone to interact when yuo translate it.
    as a note there is a bunch of other side steps you can take for other uses like for clothing and hair also for editing grasping objects with hands and IK is helpful for speech with face bones, it like creating a second rigging for the bone of joint .. so there is a lot of uses for it ..

IK solver is used mostly for complex animation for pose to pose sequence where you might need to have a extra edit for a bone or joint , or to pin the ik link to a surface or a prop for interaction with a bone or joint.it can also be used in created translation for body morphs and face expressions as well

Daz IK solver is missing a hardsurface tool & a keyframe editor lock for each bone edited on its own timeline in the editor and autofollower for the chains to connect each linked chain in one click for that one bone or joint  . As you can see i am very hopeful as you can see from my screen captures its has been very useful for manipulating bones in my dragon animation for the tail which has a sequence of bones to be posed and edited into the timeline, its still a learning process for me too   So I hope I was not to confusing explaining

1.jpg
    1919 x 1018 - 209K
    2.jpg
    1919 x 1040 - 239K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229

Testing it out--so far so good.  Indeed EXCELLENT!

Thank you, @Ivy.

So much to learn, so little time. (Only 24 hours in a day…!)

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    L'Adair said:

I found a big mistake in an image I did recently. I'd replaced the floor with a plane as I needed a larger area, and I'd moved it to barely intersect the doorsill of the set. Turns out, the doorsill had extra height, and my floor didn't come up to the bottom of the columns, leaving a gap. (Here's the final image, with the floor moved up.) By pinning the girl's hand in place, I was able to move her up without losing the placement over the cross piece. And by pinning the mother's hands to the girl's waist, I was able to move the mother's legs up without losing the placement of her hands. Redoing the pose was surprisingly easy, using Pins.

Hey, Nice usage of pinning with posing to solve your problem quickly without having to repose several bones (or nodes as DS like to call them).  

Pinning for posing is powerful and maybe an underused? tool.  Your practical use is one great example. And it let's me play and find new creative things hadn't even considered.  Loaded a dog just now had bought on sale a while back (prbly MM) cos I was curious about non-humanoids with tails, and pinned one back foot and drug the tailtip-bone, then dragged it further and whole body moves.  Can lead to a mess, but if your artistic you can see where the realism of the look starts to fall apart, and back off a smidge.  In other programs you could make controllers for things, like kneees, feet and so on defining the realtionships..  But DS really works well right out of the box for humanoids.  Click on bone (node) and manipulate and solver kicks in. The dog tail IK was decent and with pinning would go quick too for posing. 

L'Adair said:

Okay. I've taken a few minutes to try a couple other products: Daz Dragon 3, Daz Housecat (without the new hair,) and one of the Worms from Mechasar. In every case, pinning a bone in 4.11 before saving caused 4.12 to create the ik_[bone] entry when loading. And caused 4.12 to crash when saving.

L'Adair, are you animating too, or just posing? 

Am focussed on other things ATM, so curious, that if you do ALL your work in 4.12 re: pinning does it still crash on save? Or is just a 4.11 > 4.12?  If the latter would guess it's all the under the hood changes.  Myself would clear out pins after pose is done, just so while it is fresh I remember to remove all pins before saving, as they served their purpose, and are no longer needed.  But maybe you are animating too and looking for ways?

See the animation gurus are taking you into the deep end of IK.  Have fun! smiley Will bookmark IVY's explanation so when I finally get to stage am ready to test animating in DazStudio, I can do it really quickly with these nice instructions, without having to figure out the right order of doing things.  Thanks Ivy. 

edited August 2019
    L'Adair said:

Hey, Nice usage of pinning with posing to solve your problem quickly without having to repose several bones (or nodes as DS like to call them).  

Pinning for posing is powerful and maybe an underused? tool.  Your practical use is one great example. And it let's me play and find new creative things hadn't even considered.  Loaded a dog just now had bought on sale a while back (prbly MM) cos I was curious about non-humanoids with tails, and pinned one back foot and drug the tailtip-bone, then dragged it further and whole body moves.  Can lead to a mess, but if your artistic you can see where the realism of the look starts to fall apart, and back off a smidge.  In other programs you could make controllers for things, like kneees, feet and so on defining the realtionships..  But DS really works well right out of the box for humanoids.  Click on bone (node) and manipulate and solver kicks in. The dog tail IK was decent and with pinning would go quick too for posing. 

L'Adair said:

L'Adair, are you animating too, or just posing? 

Am focussed on other things ATM, so curious, that if you do ALL your work in 4.12 re: pinning does it still crash on save? Or is just a 4.11 > 4.12?  If the latter would guess it's all the under the hood changes.  Myself would clear out pins after pose is done, just so while it is fresh I remember to remove all pins before saving, as they served their purpose, and are no longer needed.  But maybe you are animating too and looking for ways?

See the animation gurus are taking you into the deep end of IK.  Have fun! smiley Will bookmark IVY's explanation so when I finally get to stage am ready to test animating in DazStudio, I can do it really quickly with these nice instructions, without having to figure out the right order of doing things.  Thanks Ivy. 

it will be useful for posing too if your using deforce on the timeline to drap the cloth you can create a IK-chain for the clothing you need to pose and it will act like a bone that can be manipulated & translated. smiley  I agree with L'Adair , so much to learn so little time wink

Post edited by Ivy on