some basic daz questions from a new user

ScottBretonScottBreton Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi, these are probably exceedingly obvious questions, but here goes:

1. Is there a way to turn on an horizon line in daz 4.6? I am using the program as a tool for developing painted compositions so this would be helpful for establishing the perspective... ( I can figure it out from the grid of course, but a line in the back ground would be awesome)

2. a related question to the above is: is there an easy way to make primitives with a grid on them? that would be super useful for the whole perspective thing, particularly if they would still show up when you render.

3 Is there an easy way to group objects and move them together? Or do you have to make one the parent of all the relevant objects and move that one?

3. ray traced cast shadows is a function of the daz render function right? I don't seem to be getting shadows to project from one object onto another one when I hit "render", though "cast shadows" are turned on in the object parameters.

4 Finally, i have a question about the new Michael 5 figure: the figure shows up kind of speckled looking prior to rendering. I discovered that with Victoria 6 you have to turn sub surface scattering down to see the lights on the figure, and am wondering if there is a similar setting on Michael 5 that is set in a weird way when you first import the figure.

5.Perhaps I should have asked first, but is there anyone out there, schools or individuals who teach these programs? It takes quite a while to wade through the material on you tube or whatever which either seem to be super advanced or for first time users.

If anyone can help with any of these things, that would be much appreciated!

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

New user guides are out :-)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/32249/

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited November 2013

You can select them in Parameters (right click and hold CNTRL) and go up to Create>New Group to have all your objects nested together.

Post edited by Novica on
  • EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Hi, these are probably exceedingly obvious questions, but here goes:

1. Is there a way to turn on an horizon line in daz 4.6? I am using the program as a tool for developing painted compositions so this would be helpful for establishing the perspective... ( I can figure it out from the grid of course, but a line in the back ground would be awesome)

2. a related question to the above is: is there an easy way to make primitives with a grid on them? that would be super useful for the whole perspective thing, particularly if they would still show up when you render.

3 Is there an easy way to group objects and move them together? Or do you have to make one the parent of all the relevant objects and move that one?

3. ray traced cast shadows is a function of the daz render function right? I don't seem to be getting shadows to project from one object onto another one when I hit "render", though "cast shadows" are turned on in the object parameters.

4 Finally, i have a question about the new Michael 5 figure: the figure shows up kind of speckled looking prior to rendering. I discovered that with Victoria 6 you have to turn sub surface scattering down to see the lights on the figure, and am wondering if there is a similar setting on Michael 5 that is set in a weird way when you first import the figure.

5.Perhaps I should have asked first, but is there anyone out there, schools or individuals who teach these programs? It takes quite a while to wade through the material on you tube or whatever which either seem to be super advanced or for first time users.

If anyone can help with any of these things, that would be much appreciated!

Howdy :D

1. not really aware of a built in solution, but you can create a primitive sphere (at the top of the screen, select the "create"->primitive) and then apply (in diffuse channel of the surface tab) a 2d image with the top half blue and the bottom black for example.

2. like 1, create a primitive plane this time and apply a 2d grid image in the diffuse channel

3. you can "parent" items to each other: in the scene tab drag one item on top of the other and let go, the item you dragged on to the other will now move when you move the other.

3 again.you need to turn on the shadows for a light too (select the light, and then in the shadows tab you can adjust the shadow settings)

4&5. dunno :)

Hope it helps :)
    Cheers,
    Elele.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

3 part 1. Select all of the items then go to Create>New Group...

4. I'm not sure what you mean - but the preview is not terribly reliable with more advanced surface settings.