Need License Agreement In Plain English ?????

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Someone just brought to my attention changes to the License Agreement. I read it and most of it I understand, but with my eyesight, I am not sure I caught it all and I need some stuff in just plain English.

I know if I buy or get free product, that most have the commercial and non commercial use explained in readme's and agreements and such. Commercial means I can make money from my images and animations, non commercial means I can't. Very simple and easy to understand.

What I don't know is this with regards to Daz License Agreement...

If I do images from items bought or give free from Daz, and use these items for T-Shirts and the like, can I sell them through local stores and such and is there a limit as to how many I can sell? Same goes with creating prints and selling in Art Galleries?

There was something in the Agreement that mentions a limit on how many you can sell, but that's where my eyes started going buggy.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That part is in the 3D art part, not the 2D art part.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
    edited December 1969

Ok so it does pertain 3D printing, I kinda thought so,but wasn't sure.

Thanks for clearing it up Cho.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

Then it's different in different countries as well. In most of the EU zone, you can do more or less anything as long as you claim it's 'art'

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Then it's different in different countries as well. In most of the EU zone, you can do more or less anything as long as you claim it's 'art'

No, that isn't true - copyright still applies in the EU, and the license is a relaxation of the limits of copyright for specific purposes and uses.

• DeanpwDeanpw Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Okay...

I signed the agreement after giving it a quick skim over.

I have 1 question if anyone can help me out?

If you make a short film, and enter it into competitions in hope of winning something -- Is that still okay to do, regardless of the prize money?

Thanks,

Dean

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Deanpw said:
    Okay...

I signed the agreement after giving it a quick skim over.

I have 1 question if anyone can help me out?

If you make a short film, and enter it into competitions in hope of winning something -- Is that still okay to do, regardless of the prize money?

Thanks,

Dean

Yes.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,523
    edited December 1969

What about using rendered images and animations in the games for commercial and free purposes?
    Are we allowed to use them, as well?

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    What about using rendered images and animations in the games for commercial and free purposes?
    Are we allowed to use them, as well?

Rendered images are fine. I've seen this asked and answered several times before, somI'm sure this is correct.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
    edited December 1969

If you're talking about using models in the games they have special licenses for that, and low rez models so they are not too heavy for game engines.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

We have an entire legal department with specializations from copyright to plagiarism and every thing in between. Each desk is engraved with "...when in doubt, ask Legal..."

It's saved a lot of grief over the years.

edited December 1969

Thanks, TheWheelMan, CalieVee and icprncss.
    I only would like to use rendered images and animations in the games.
    I know about restrictions for using actual 3D models from Daz3D store in the games.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

rendered animations and 2d sprites etc are permitted.

edited November 2013

Thanks for the clarifications, chohole. Will try to make some test levels in free version of Unity 3D,
    which get recently very nice native support for 2D games in version 4.3.
    The other tool, I use, is Multimedia Fusion 2, which is mostly a 2D game creator.

Post edited by Artini on