Just want to know how to find and weld seams in Hexagon

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited July 2019 in Hexagon Discussion

I have no desire to use hexagon for anything EXCEPT to convert old, conforming clothing, into dForce/dynamic-friendly clothing. Sometimes it's not a problem draping a conforming item, but too many times, the product creator didn't weld seams because the item was never intended to be dynamic. Can anyone detail or direct me to a tutorial that just explains how to find and weld seams in Hexagon? Nothing else ... just that. Then I can send the garment back to daz for draping.

Post edited by WillowRaven on

Comments

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited July 2019

Use the weld tool. Use the close tool to find seams that remain and use the merge tool to connect their points. Then unify normals. Then UV map. Then texture.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I don't know how to do any of that, lol. All I know how to do is sent the item to hex and send it back. And I don't want to 'learn Hex', just this one aspect of what it can do.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Go to help and download the manual. Then read up about those tools mentioned.

• I think it is the average weld tool (utilities tab) you are after, Jonny Bravo made a tutorial where he used the average weld tool to make a threaded bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcY5nhKJ6U

Thanks, guys :)

• You're basically going to be re-editing someone else's model. So you'll need to know how to make models.

• I agree with Shawn, it's not that hard to make basic clothing, there are a few free tutorials I could recommend if you want to give it a try :)

One thing about using the weld tools - you will have to re-do the UV mapping.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I agree with Shawn, it's not that hard to make basic clothing, there are a few free tutorials I could recommend if you want to give it a try :)

Emphasis added. It's easy to weld seams together (assuming they're close enough for average weld to work). But as soon as you do that, you're going to break the UV mapping of the object. So none of the textures are going to apply correctly anymore. You'll have to re-map the object and adjust the UV maps to be exactly like the original if you want to keep the textures that came with the object.

If it were really as simple as "Load into Hex, Click this button, Export back to Studio" then everyone would have done it already. As comfortable as I am with modeling, I wouldn't even attempt this unless I absolutely HAD to have a specific outfit. And someone better be paying me for my time to make it work.

JonnyRay said:

I agree with Shawn, it's not that hard to make basic clothing, there are a few free tutorials I could recommend if you want to give it a try :)

Emphasis added. It's easy to weld seams together (assuming they're close enough for average weld to work). But as soon as you do that, you're going to break the UV mapping of the object. So none of the textures are going to apply correctly anymore. You'll have to re-map the object and adjust the UV maps to be exactly like the original if you want to keep the textures that came with the object.

If it were really as simple as "Load into Hex, Click this button, Export back to Studio" then everyone would have done it already. As comfortable as I am with modeling, I wouldn't even attempt this unless I absolutely HAD to have a specific outfit. And someone better be paying me for my time to make it work.

I'm not worried about keeping textures of the original. I tend to use shaders to change the originals anyway. But I'm willing to learn texture mapping. I have so much conforming clothing I want to make use of, but that means learning just enough to find the seams and weld them.