Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - shapes looking great. The middle one is my favourite.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

need serious help on this trying to get the skin to look better...suggestions anyone??? Thanks in advance Trish

Hi Trish

I'd like to help you if I can. My best result with skin IMHO are these:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/445794/

Have a look, and if you think that could help you, then I will be glad to send you the materials setting I have used for the skin.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited November 2013

Thanks, mermaid!!

Well, this one was a challenge for me. Following David's tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1F9xto9dQm I tried to get a good balance between how bright the glass was versus the amount of reflections from the HDRI. Seemed like no matter what setting I used in the IBL tab, the glass would reflect the darker colors of the Treppenhalle HDRI. Was able to tone it down quite a bit (too much?), but was getting sleepy and decided to hit the render button. Used Premium effects, RPP 144; MRD 8; IR 3; soft shadows enabled, and some soft shadows in the IBL tab. Render time was slightly over 4 hours.

*Edited to change the IR value from 2 to 3.

Glass.jpg
    650 x 650 - 479K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@FranOnThEdge - They all look very good. I find that when I use Obscure lighting it does tend to brighten up materials. I end up either darkening the material a little or decreasing the amount of lighting coming from the IBL. Also if you are using the Bryce sun in addition to the IBL then you may want to decrease the diffuse effect of the Bryce sun.

@fencepost52 - That looks wonderful. It's hard to tell that it isn't a real world object.

This is my contribution for the day. I took the 3 different Twisted Octahedrons that David has done videos on (Ported, Drilled and Ported, and Webbed) and place them in Horo's Puddle HDRI. Got the reflections and shadows by following David's shadow capture Video.

Wings_Objects_reflected_in_puddle2.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 904K
    edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - looks good. If you use soft IBL shadows, you might get away with 64 rpp. This would half render time. Plop render critical parts and change rpp to see how low you can go. Soft shadows can get already noiseless at 16 or 36 rpp. TA renders usually need 144 or 256 (sometimes we'd like even more than that). Each step upwards doubles render time.

@Dangerlad - good work, it came out well

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Something to keep the model makers going - been a bit snowed under this week, but I am slowly catching up.

Link Wings 3D project - Another twisted loop shape - by David Brinnen

Related vidoes

Wings 3D project - Twisted loop test on five perfect solids - by David Brinnen

Wings 3D project - Art Wade twisted loop test on five perfect solids - by David Brinnen

Model in Wings 3D, rendered in Octane.

Another_twisted_loop_shape.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 615K
    edited December 1969

@David - that cube is very nice looking. Really great render. I'd have expected some edge softness on the shadow from an Octane render.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - that cube is very nice looking. Really great render. I'd have expected some edge softness on the shadow from an Octane render.

Thanks. Depends on the size of the object. This one is large. I could get more if I shrunk it down.

edited December 1969

@Dangerlad: I really like what you've done there. Very realistic results. I think I'm going to have to give that a try. Inspirational. Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

@Horo: Thank you for the feedback and the tips. I've never used the plop render like that for a final render, only to get an idea of how things would look. I'd read about that being done, but hadn't tried it myself. I was afraid people would be able to see the areas where the different RPP settings were used, but I tried it and looks good. Thanks!

Also, I'm running renders of this object at every RPP setting with the exception of the 256 setting to see where the noise levels change. The results so far are interesting, and if folks feel it's beneficial, I'll post my results when I'm finished. After I get these renders run, I'm going to re-run them changing the MRD and IR for each one. I originally posted that I used an IR of 2, but that's incorrect, it's 3.

@David: Really like the whole image. The starburst reflections are a nice touch. Does Octane do that or were they added post render? I played with the new tutorials yesterday, but couldn't respond. I think I might have figured out the question you asked regarding how you could tell the number of loops to be created, but I'm not entirely sure my thoughts are right, but if I come to a definite conclusion, I'll let you know. I don't think your musings are trivial as it'll open up other shapes that we hadn't thought about before.

Art

edited December 1969

@David: Really like the whole image. The starburst reflections are a nice touch. Does Octane do that or were they added post render? I played with the new tutorials yesterday, but couldn't respond. I think I might have figured out the question you asked regarding how you could tell the number of loops to be created, but I'm not entirely sure my thoughts are right, but if I come to a definite conclusion, I'll let you know. I don't think your musings are trivial as it'll open up other shapes that we hadn't thought about before.

Art

Thanks for the words of encouragement Art. And yes Octane has some built in Post process functions as well as some other effects that can be applied on the fly. Here's a render in Bryce showing how this shape is comprised.

Another_twisted_loop_shape1.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 467K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much Elvis....Trish

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Fran: Really like your latest images. The last one actually looks like aluminum foil to me.

@Fencepost: Wow, really nice results. I think the glass is real convincing. What did you use for the ground material, it's rather nice looking?

@Dangerlad: Those objects looks as though they are really there. It might just be me but the front object looks as though it's floating a bit. Still, my nick picking aside, love the results.

@David: Those are great looking cubes, so much so I'll have to give them a try.

@mermaid: I don't remember which image I first used that material on, but was surprised when the render finished and instead of looking like the sample in the Mat library it looked like metal. You can find the material under Metals -> Christmas Balls -> 2nd row -> 8th material. If used on a sphere, or I guess similar object, it will look like the example. But used on a Wings 3D object, or something similar, it'll give the metal look.

I followed one of David's older Wings tutorials, the one where he used the Meshlab to reduce the poly count, and applied two different materials to the object in the scene. I tweaked refraction in both materials from air to glass, since I was trying for a glass effect. Once the refraction for the material on the right was changed, the main color also changed from a deep blue/purple color to green, with blue/purple shadows. The second render shows the original material before refraction was changed.

I don't know how many hours this render took, but it was well over 36 hours; off and on, since the computer is not left on at night. No TA was used, no premium effects, just regular render with Bryce sun and one of Horo's HDRIs. I believe it was the material on both objects that caused the lengthy render, especially the one on the right. That material, when used for the second image, took a little over 2 hours itself with the same ground material and light settings. Anyway, I like what I was seeing and decided to stick it out, not that I will for this type scene again.

Twisted_Tours_Blue_Tile_Ground_Default_Material.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Twisted_Tours_Blue_Tile_Ground_10.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - The shapes look very nice. IBL and transparency make for long renders. Next time, try premium with just 16 or 36 rays. The result may look good but takes a lot less time. This method works fine for soft IBL shadows which are really a render hog if rendered regular.

edited November 2013

Hello All: wonderful work by everyone !! I have a project I am calling party like a rock star.....I am in the process of building this house and I am stuck on the roof which looks bad to me....Is there another way to make a roof....I flattened out 2 squares and tilted them to make one but it does not look right....any ideas ???? Since I don't do construction I thought maybe someone else would know.....Thanks in advance ....Trish

roof.jpg
    961 x 470 - 115K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@Horo, That middle one is using your p00055.jpg which is the one that I think is either part of Treppenhalle, or a lower res version, or maybe just similar colours, but it's the free one off your website. I used HDRShop to turn it into an hdr image so I could follow David's video.
    That's the result.
    Odd really, as I was expecting the soft blue tones that he achieved, not this hard steely look. But this at least suits the blue material on that twisted... thingie, with the green radial in the centre.

Odd how the rays from the cylinder (other thread about sunlight) seem to have intersected with that blue stuff and made it transparent.

@fencepost,
    It's odd, sometimes clear glass creates a really nice effect and sometimes it get lost in the complexities of the material it's sitting on. We have a tablecloth sort of white with black oval on it, that sometimes creates a really lovely effect through the stem of a wineglass. I wonder if I can recreate that... (goes into a slight trance, thinking about it.) That purple on the band really picks this image up nicely, very effective.

@DangerLad, Oh very nice! What more can I say? It's just lovely.

@GussNemo,
    Well your close with that, it's meant to be galvanised steel, I made that material some, 3? 5? years ago, thought I'd try it out with some of these shapes, that was one, now I've tweaked it a bit and got a few slightly different effects with it.
    Giving the galvanisation (chips) some bump and it makes it look like there are flakes of metal in there. (Top pic) Turning the reflection and specular down and the bump off and you get this: (2nd Pic) both use David's Red Pearlescent paint video, with some more tweaking – like turning the red into blue.
    I still haven't come across that hexagon material, but in the search I found this sort of reptilian skin kind of floor.

Love how that refraction gives that beautiful purple/blueish cast onto the your hexagon floor.

@bullit35744
    Well unless it's meant to be a child's toy, I'd make the roof thinner and the planks or whatever the building is resting on much thinner too. Gutters might help as well.

My last image is just a Load of Cubes – or at least cube thingies. And yes, I realise one of the cubes looks a bit precarious, one was too hidden sitting under it, and when I moved the hidden one I forgot about that. It had a huge rendertime (I started it early yesterday afternoon and now it's gone midnight this evening and it just finished)
    I quite like the bright blue N red one and the dark broody looking one on top in a sort of green metal with gold (or brass) accessories. I might be able to use that one in a sci-fi image.

LotsABoxes4.jpg
    1120 x 801 - 195K
    StarFishBall8.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 200K
    StarFishBall7.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 224K
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@David,
    I've been trying and trying to replicate that dented cube of yours - can't find a video explaining how to make one, so, this is what I've been doing while rendering is tying up Bryce, is modelling cube after cube in Wings3d.
    This is the result:
    (I also spent the time wisely in following your Red Pearlescent Paint video, I like that effect so thanks for posting that. I've never used anisotrophy before - well I've poked the button but nothing happened so I abandoned it) Lol.

I've tweaked your settings a bit to get the effect in the second image.

Now about the third one... well, having nothing else to do, I had a go at another of your tuts. and the third image is the result of that. My main question being - what do I do with this image now?
    Can I use it to create an hdri image for use as a background?

How?

BuildingInteriorPanorama4.jpg
    800 x 300 - 55K
    9DentedCubesBlue2.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 276K
    9DentedCubesRed5.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 243K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@bullit35744

After seeing your renders I've come to the conclusion that you know your way around Bryce.

You could use a terrain and load a picture of a roof in to the terrain editor.
    Then apply the same picture as the material.
    That way you get the proper texture on the roof when you apply the material
    and can adjust the bumpiness.
    Obviously you would have to adjust the terrains where one roof meets another.
    Then tidy the edges of the terrains with whatever you like, I just used a squashed terrain with a wood material applied.

Example.

Roof.jpg
    644 x 452 - 248K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you, and thanks for the information. I had thought of doing it that way but couldn't remember which combination caused one to get coffee while it worked.

@Trish: If you want to keep the roof you have, look at the two foreground roofs. The one on the right is slightly lower than the one on the left, which would make things look a bit odd; i.e. the point where the two meet at the ridge line are off, as is the bottom intersection of the valley. Hope this helps a bit.

@franontheedge: The refraction color is the main reason I let that image complete its render. Normally for objects like these I'd have folded shop and gone in another direction. If you'll go to this site, go to Material X-Change, you'll find the hexagon material I used on the ground. You'll also for a lot more materials that you might like. All of your newer images look really nice, especially the third one with the multiple objects. That one is nicely colorful.

@David: Finally took the time to watch your latest videos, nicely done. Even the slight intermission was a pleasant surprise. That video I may have to visit again and give those a go.

Followed a couple of David's not too old videos and the results are below. I got tired of laying the objects on the ground so I made a pedestal out of three primitives from the object library and the dais I created for the temple I made.

Armoured_Ball_2_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Armoured_Ball_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Armoured_Ball_1_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Armoured_Ball_1_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Armoured_Ball_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited November 2013

Guss: The gold one yes that's it the gold one... with the copper.....You have hit the nail on the head ..That's where the trouble is I have been trying to line them up and its just not working as you can see by the purple lines that's how I put them together and even though I have a good diamond pattern at the top the sides don't line up as I expected they would....that why I asked if there is a better way to make a roof???? ok here is my new guy Albert isn't he cool...LOL P.S. the only other idea I had was to line them up something like this but I will have to cover the gap in the peak

roof3.jpg
    472 x 352 - 47K
    albert3.jpg
    575 x 871 - 238K
    roof_exp.jpg
    1488 x 363 - 206K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited November 2013

Fencepost – wow that looks awesome.

Dangerlad – the shapes look cool against the backdrop

David – the shapes are really nice, thanks for the new videos.

Guss - thanks for mentioning the material you used.. Your first render is awesome, I love the effect of the shadows especially for the object on the right. Your other renders are looking great too.

Franontheedge – wow all your renders are looking great.

Trish - yes Albert looks cool

I played with the instance Lab and tried David’s grass tutorial http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/realistic-grass-terrains.html, not much success with the grass.

ILandgrass.jpg
    960 x 720 - 98K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - the Treppenhalle 2 HDRI comes with the p42 Metals-1. There is a version 1 which I had made with a mirror ball and it can be found under HDRI & Panoramas > Panoramas. p00055 is under HDRI & Panoramas > Indoor and it is not a panorama. Of course, if you scale any image to a square or 2:1 aspect ratio and resave it as Radiance .hdr Bryce loads it as an HDRI. This is no HDRI, just a LDRI saved in another file format. p00055 wsa indeed shot as an HDRI but on the website it is tone-mapped down to an LDRI.

It is possible to fake an LDRI into a true HDRI but it takes a bit of experimentation. Nevertheless, a re-saved LDRI can be used as a reflection map but it would be probably better to keep it LDRI and map it on a sphere which surrounds the scene.

If you need the light or specularity from the HDRI, a LDRI saved as HDRI won't give you the effect because there is not enough light in it. Neither will you get the colour saturation. If you want the HDRI to create some ambient light, a converted LDRI can work a charm.

Your set of cubes on the previous page look very good. The second one is my favourite. In the last picture with all those cubes, the one with dark green and yellow looks excellent.

The dented cubes on this page also look nice. If you want to use Anisotropy, you need a lot of Specular. Anisotropy works on specularity.

I recognise the building, nice floor! You did minitut 14 and also inserted mirrors. What can you use this for? Render it as a spherical panorama. If you don't have our Spherical Mapper or the Scene Converter, you can render the six faces of a cube and assemble them in a graphics application to a vertical cross. HDRShop can transform this vertical cross to a spherical panorama, even to an angular map (light probe). How to do this is detailed on my website Raytracing > Panorama? and HDRShop?

This is still an LDRI so you would save it as a BMP and map it on a sphere and use it this way. Of course, you can save it as a hdr file and use it for the backdrop.

If you really want to fake an HDRI from this building, you have to render it several times changing the light intensities, than merge the individual renders to an HDRI and go from there. There is a 3-part video explaining this process under Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo > More Videos 9., 10 and 11. There are also transcripts if you prefer reading over watching.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - the armoured balls came out nice. Good idea with the pedestals. Why not use a portrait aspect ratio and give the ball a bit more space above?

@Trish - Albert looks charming.

@mermaid010 - good start. The grass may look better if you fiddle a bit with the light. It can make a huge difference.

edited December 1969

I've also found the time to watch David's last series of videos and creating the shapes shown on page 93: the left and right one and combined them in Bryce.

The first one was rendered with Hyper gel, the second with IBL. The objects use hyper textures as material.

IBLexSC03.jpg
    800 x 800 - 153K
    HGexSC02.jpg
    800 x 800 - 342K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

You have hit the nail on the head ..That's where the trouble is I have been trying to line them up and its just not working as you can see by the purple lines that's how I put them together and even though I have a good diamond pattern at the top the sides don't line up as I expected they would....that why I asked if there is a better way to make a roof???? ok here is my new guy Albert isn't he cool...LOL P.S. the only other idea I had was to line them up something like this but I will have to cover the gap in the peak

It depends how much detail you will need on your finished roof, but this is a really simple way to construct an easily editable roof. :)

Pic 1. In the presets CREATE library go to Installed/Additional Primitives and choose the Keystone 100%

Pic 2. Resize the primitive so it's the correct size and pitch for the style of roof you need (remembering that the roof will overhang the building it's going on.

Pic 3. Duplicate the primitive and resize it to be a thin section, moving it to one end of the original primitive and dropping it on the Y axis slightly. This duplicated shape will form the gable end. Now make a boolean of the two components; select the original primitive and make it Positive and then select the duplicate and make it Negative. It is important to check the "Transfer Material of Negative Boolean" box so that the same material chosen for the wall of the building can also be applied to the gable end.

Pic 4. Finished result (with really basic materials applied). Which will fit nicely to any cube used to construct the main body of the building and can be further enhanced by guttering, drainpipes, fascia boards, soffits, ridge tiles and chimneys.

Hope this helps. :)

Roof1.jpg
    650 x 450 - 107K
    Step3.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 152K
    Step2.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 140K
    Step1.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 163K
    edited November 2013

Dave: Thank you so much that's perfect just what I needed appreciate the help......Trish Edit: Dave you are awesome it works now I will do the Boolean later after the windows and doors ...thanks again

ro.jpg
    1253 x 500 - 109K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Mermaid, well done following the tutorials and thank you for including the links. The Wingspremium http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=38&aid=106142_B36LqY0irNt6xHVLWBB7&board_id=1 came out very well, looks as good as some C4D renders I've seen.

Franontheedge, I don't remember now how I made the dented cube with the hole in the middle of it. :( One of the reasons I produce so many little tutorials is to help me keep track of things like that. If I remember or can figure it out, I will make a video. Though don't be too concerned about getting exactly the same effects as I did. There's just as much chance that you can discover something new from not doing so. That's what happens all the time. I set things up, find I've missed a step and discover something new and interesting to explore... Oooh... some more renders from you. You are going to be ahead of me soon at this rate. Excellent results.

Dave, you Peter the Polar Bear renders as cute as ever and work very well. Any progress on the card front?

Jamie, also doing well following the tutorials!

Great renders Dangerlad, maybe you might consider adding a keylight to throw some contrast and specular into the scene? But great results never the less. And super work on the shadowcapturing with reflections. That's about the most difficult effect to achieve out of all of them. So really well done there! And the shape on the right is a nice addition too!

Art, demonstrating what I was saying to Fran above, zig when you should zag and all kinds of interesting results ensue. On the next page, I see you've got yourself a ribbon wrapped cube, that looks really good too!

Jim, thank you, yeah folks really seem to like the wings things. More popular than expected.

No that's it, I can't keep up! Well, that's a good thing, shows that there's still plenty of fun to be had in Bryce!

Here's a couple of tests I did earlier working around an idea Horo has come up with.

HG_extention1_6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 478K
    HG_extention3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 338K
    edited December 1969

@Fran: Thanks for the comments. Yes, glass can do some interesting things and I think you should try your recreating the effect of the table cloth through the wine glass. Your renders are coming along nicely and I see you had an opportunity to give my interlocking stars tutorial a whirl. Nice work!

@Guss: Super renders. I like touch of the pedestal. Think it's time for me to step out and start adding "stuff" to my renders to give them interest. The texture I used on the glass cube is another of David's at the Bryce5 forum. You can find it here: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4703

@Trish: looks like you're off to a good start on the house. Will that be Albert's "party" home? :)

@Horo: Beautiful renders. The colors and caustics are really nice.

@Mermaid: Thank you for the comments. You're making good headway with the instancing lab. That's something I've only dabbled in, but with very little success. Looks good.

@David: I think I'm zagging more these days. :D But, it's how you learn and I'm catching on, albeit slowly. I write tutorials for the same reason you do and I have a few on my list I had better get done or they will be a faint memory. Nice renders.

Here's my attempt at subsurface scattering following David's tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0egaeomi5tM

My first attempt ended up being a 2+ hour render. In David's video his render time was exponentially smaller. The only real difference was the complexity of the model and a second, scaled model inside the larger model. I believe that's what caused the high render time. At any rate, when the first render finished, I wanted to create a less complex inner model to see if that would speed up rendering and when I deleted the interior, the nano preview didn't change the way the model looked. I decided to try rendering without an interior model and the results look very similar. Neither are perfect, but I'm going to experiment more with the technique.

SSS2.jpg
    550 x 550 - 28K
    SSS1.jpg
    550 x 550 - 196K
    edited December 1969

@David - nice results. So you've taken up the gauntlet ;-P

@fencepost52 - great results. I like the second one a bit more because of the higher contrast.

edited November 2013

@David: I think I'm zagging more these days. :D But, it's how you learn and I'm catching on, albeit slowly. I write tutorials for the same reason you do and I have a few on my list I had better get done or they will be a faint memory. Nice renders.

Here's my attempt at subsurface scattering following David's tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0egaeomi5tM

My first attempt ended up being a 2+ hour render. In David's video his render time was exponentially smaller. The only real difference was the complexity of the model and a second, scaled model inside the larger model. I believe that's what caused the high render time. At any rate, when the first render finished, I wanted to create a less complex inner model to see if that would speed up rendering and when I deleted the interior, the nano preview didn't change the way the model looked. I decided to try rendering without an interior model and the results look very similar. Neither are perfect, but I'm going to experiment more with the technique.

Great work!

Here's something else... something curious I don't know how this works yet but I have some idea.

Transparent_solid_default_grey5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 417K
    Transparent_solid_default_grey4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 417K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Dave, you Peter the Polar Bear renders as cute as ever and work very well. Any progress on the card front?

Still busy collecting information and doing background work finding out about the industry so I'm in a position to maximise the potential David. And apparently these things take time (so I'm told). :)

Meanwhile, the designs keep coming. :-)

PeterSniffBaubel.jpg
    450 x 650 - 262K
This discussion has been closed.