.DUF?

wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am just dense, and have asked a variation on this question before (couldn't find the thread), so I'll be specific:

Does this work in Carrara?
http://www.daz3d.com/night-lounge

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I am just dense, and have asked a variation on this question before (couldn't find the thread), so I'll be specific:

Does this work in Carrara?
    http://www.daz3d.com/night-lounge

It's been ages since I made a store purchase - but my rule of thumb has been to always make sure the item is Poser compatible in order to work with Carrara. If it is just D|S...then I shy away.

Maybe C8.5 changes that? I dunno, I haven't bought it yet (go ahead, berate me for that...I opted to put in wood floors in my house instead of buy new 3D softwares). :-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I managed to open a duf file in Carrara, and I am a total newbie. I didn't do anything with it, because I am a total newbie, but I did get it in there.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

The scene will be loaded correct, but I'm not quite sure concerning the cameras and lights. I can check this very soon... ( ;-))

edited December 1969

Just checked:

Everything is loaded. Included the 21 cameras and 77 lights.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

It loads, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

It is WAAAAAAAAY overlit in Carrara. The are 77 lights, and they all come in at over 100% - they were Point Lights in Studio, which are unfortunately nothing like Carrara bulbs.

edited November 2013

Yep - made this experience just this moment.
    A lot of work to align.
    And: Yes, loading is a taste of eternity ;-) , even on an 8 core CPU

The issue with the lights seems to be a job for a tweaker extension...

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
    edited November 2013

Nah, set the scene filter to "Lights", select them all, and turn them all down to 50%, with a 12-foot falloff at 100%

Delete the "distant 1" and "light 1"

Tweak the shaders: "blue glow", "hanging lampshade", "lampshade", and "lamp glass"

Turn gamma on at 1.8

Set the Scene Ambient to 0.0

It only takes a minute :)

Doc20.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K
    Post edited by Fenric on
    edited November 2013

I did it with 10% of the given brightness and a radius of 5 meters:

But your's looks better

Lounge.jpg
    640 x 480 - 154K
    Post edited by EddyMI3D on
    edited November 2013

Yours is nice, it's just "Late Afternoon Lounge" instead of "Night Lounge" :)

And now I want a martini...

Post edited by Fenric on
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    And now I want a martini...

Me too : Cheers!
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Great to see these and good t know it works in Carrara, it looks like a great set.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you two!!

:smirk: And another generation of products that DAZ refuses to label as compatible with Carrara...

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Now that Carrara can load DUF files, it should (in theory at least) be compatible with most stuff that either Poser OR DAZ Studio can handle, with obvious exceptions if a product uses a very program specific feature. It always amazes me how many products you see (elsewhere) that are made for Poser and labelled as "not tested in Daz Studio". DS is a free program and how long would it take just to load it in - and that's probably half their potential market they are possibly losing!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

Actually, rethinking this…. I guess it is *not* compatible with Carrara without tweaking.

Compatible means 100% ready to use out of the box. That's just not the case, and never has been. Poser scenes too…. Shaders and lights need to be tweaked. I take it for granted that I would WANT to alter every shader (sure it's cool if the shader is close, or at least not shiny and annoying - but I don't think of my scene as "polished" if I have not done SOMEthing to the shaders to make it personal)… And lighting, I just assume I would want my own lighting to bring out the parts I want you to look at….

Anyway, I will stop complaining about Carrara being left off the compatibility label. There's lot's of reasons why Carrara is cool for kit-bashing, but even with .DUF it's not 100%…. I do not want DAZ to start adding DUF Lights and DUF Cameras to Carrara. That might be a simple solution, but DAZ would just get it wrong or the real lights would break and we'd be stuck with an inferior version that is "compatible".

I just wanted to know if I could use the .DUF model…. We can. That's good enough for me….

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 1969

NB. You can also export as a Collada file from DAZ 4.6, works fine but with same lighting problem.

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

Is it just me (and I am not complaining, just asking what I think is a reasonable question), OR is it really that complicated for DAZ to identify which products are out-of-the-box ready for Carrara, which are ready with some tweaking, and which are not compatible in the "Compatible 3D Software" section?

If I just used that one area to filter what I purchase to use with Carrara, there'd be almost nothing there to buy. The only reason I purchase anything at all like this is that DAZ will at least give me credit for things I buy and figure out later I can't use.

The fact you actually have to ask about compatibility is confusing. And what I find more confounding about this is that Carrara *IS* a DAZ3D product too. Yet, sometimes I sense the company is embarrassed by this fact.

Again, not complaining. But inquiring minds do ask, "Why...?" ;)

Post edited by FractalDimensia on