installing "DAZ only content" into Poser Pro 2014?

2»

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

The yellow highlight is to let you know what item/body part your cursor is currently hovering over in the viewport.Very easy to stop.In the scene tab, click the small check mark in front of the item, this will turn it into an X meaning it will not be clickable in the viewport anymore, and will not show the yellow highligh in the viewport anymore when you mouse over it.Click the X again to turn it back on.

I've wanted Poser for it's cloth room for along time now.I just can't talk myself into paying the $500 for it when I see so many peolpe having so many problems with it.Doesn't SmithMicro do anything on their end to help with compatibility?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    icecrmn said:

Doesn't SmithMicro do anything on their end to help with compatibility?

Simple answer...NO!

• icecrmn said:

The yellow highlight is to let you know what item/body part your cursor is currently hovering over in the viewport.Very easy to stop.In the scene tab, click the small check mark in front of the item, this will turn it into an X meaning it will not be clickable in the viewport anymore, and will not show the yellow highligh in the viewport anymore when you mouse over it.Click the X again to turn it back on.

I've wanted Poser for it's cloth room for along time now.I just can't talk myself into paying the $500 for it when I see so many peolpe having so many problems with it.Doesn't SmithMicro do anything on their end to help with compatibility?

Thanks for the info about turning off that highlight.

And I agree with mjc1016.  No they don't.

• I've used Poser since the beginning, and it STILL infuriates me regularly. For example, even with my 16GB of RAM etc etc it still will turn off in an instant with no warning and no saving of your work. But when it works it is wonderful, and usually it works. One thing I learned through the years is, there is no gain on saving morphs as a file separate from the object, ('external binaries') because if things can get lost they will try to.

This brings me to Daz Studio which is built on a system of interlinked files. I can't use it, and I've given up trying.

Here is a comparison. Say I have an object, a cat. Say I don't care about texture, I just want my cat in my scene. My Poser is open, and my Daz Studio is open. In Poser I go thus: runtime > libraries > props > 'cat.pp2' ('pp2' being Poser for 'obj.') (Actually my extensive library is far more complex, 'cat' being feline under carnivores under mammals under animals, but that's me. 'Cat' could be directly under props.)

Now try that in Daz Studio. Under runtime where do you go? Instead of 3 layers it is 7. Two of those are the name of the vendor, as if thet actually mattered to anyone but the vendor. And now that you've found your cat.duf, all you have is base objects like spheres or cubes stacked roughly like a cat. You still need to find the morphs to shape a cat, which are 7 deep someplace else.

Ah, simplicity, simplicity. Poser is not dependable, but at least it is not a labyrinth.

• I've used Poser since the beginning, and it STILL infuriates me regularly. For example, even with my 16GB of RAM etc etc it still will turn off in an instant with no warning and no saving of your work. But when it works it is wonderful, and usually it works. One thing I learned through the years is, there is no gain on saving morphs as a file separate from the object, ('external binaries') because if things can get lost they will try to.

This brings me to Daz Studio which is built on a system of interlinked files. I can't use it, and I've given up trying.

Here is a comparison. Say I have an object, a cat. Say I don't care about texture, I just want my cat in my scene. My Poser is open, and my Daz Studio is open. In Poser I go thus: runtime > libraries > props > 'cat.pp2' ('pp2' being Poser for 'obj.') (Actually my extensive library is far more complex, 'cat' being feline under carnivores under mammals under animals, but that's me. 'Cat' could be directly under props.)

Now try that in Daz Studio. Under runtime where do you go? Instead of 3 layers it is 7. Two of those are the name of the vendor, as if thet actually mattered to anyone but the vendor. And now that you've found your cat.duf, all you have is base objects like spheres or cubes stacked roughly like a cat. You still need to find the morphs to shape a cat, which are 7 deep someplace else.

Ah, simplicity, simplicity. Poser is not dependable, but at least it is not a labyrinth.

That isn't really correct - vendor-name folders are a matter of choise, not function, and can occur in both Poser and DS. If youa re talking about native content then morphs are available (though the deltas are not loaded until the value is non-zero) from the outset, it's Poser content that sometimes requires morphs to be injected via an additional file.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I've used Poser since the beginning, and it STILL infuriates me regularly. For example, even with my 16GB of RAM etc etc it still will turn off in an instant with no warning and no saving of your work. But when it works it is wonderful, and usually it works. One thing I learned through the years is, there is no gain on saving morphs as a file separate from the object, ('external binaries') because if things can get lost they will try to.

Apparently you weren't around in the days when a lot of Poser vendors would put zero's in front of their folders so those folders ended up at the top of the folder list? (talk about vanity folders...lol). I remember folders having as many as 4 zeros (or !!!!!) in front of the name - to say it was annoying and ridiculous is an understatement. At least in Daz if they create vanity folders you don't have to wade thru a ton of zeros and exclamation points to find the folder you're looking for. I do agree tho that you will at least have to know the name of the vendor to find their files if they're tucked into a folder with their name on it. I can't condemn it tho - I've done it myself with freebies, so I'm not immune either ;).

Laurie