Replacing a Character

I'm sorry if this has been answered many times, but as usual, any sort of search turns up nothing to do with what you are looking for! I searched for "Replacing a character" and it gave me every thread with the letter "a" in it!!! So. I have been making many scenes with a character, of whom I have a master on file. I have needed to update that Master character and now need to Replace the previous character used in the scenes with this upgraded version. I know, if you have the existing characters selected and then try to merge another of the same file, it asks whether you want a new character or replace the existing one, but now it just creates a new one. What am I doing wrong and please tell me it is possible to replace the old with the new!

Cheers. Gray

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I'm sorry if this has been answered many times, but as usual, any sort of search turns up nothing to do with what you are looking for! I searched for "Replacing a character" and it gave me every thread with the letter "a" in it!!! So. I have been making many scenes with a character, of whom I have a master on file. I have needed to update that Master character and now need to Replace the previous character used in the scenes with this upgraded version. I know, if you have the existing characters selected and then try to merge another of the same file, it asks whether you want a new character or replace the existing one, but now it just creates a new one. What am I doing wrong and please tell me it is possible to replace the old with the new!

Cheers. Gray

Probably many ways of doing this, depending on the changes you made. If you changed for example the shape and materials, just save your updated character as a shape- and materials preset, apply them to the old version.

• I've added some Morphs and changed the Gens from Daz to Golden Palace. Never heard of Saving as Shape & Materials preset? Would those changes work?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

A shaping preset saves all the morphs currently used. Well if you want to, you can select which morphs to save, but the default is every morph. That shaping preset can be applied to any character using the same base figure. Maybe in this case the easiest method would be: Open the file with the old character you want to update, select it, go to file/save as/pose preset. That will save the location and pose of your old character. Delete the character from the scene. Merge your updated character into the scene, apply the pose preset. If your old character has hair clothes etc that you have posed, and want to keep, unfit them and unparent them before you delete the character. After loading your new character, fit them to the new character.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP but I modify practically every character I buy and then save as a Scene Subset (saving only the modified character) which can then be loaded into any other scene without affecting what is in the scene already.

• Thanks Guys. I'll give these ideas a try.