Orbit and pivot point [DS 4.11.0.383 Pro Edition 64bit OSX]

In short:
how to use LMB (or any mouse button) to orbit around the avatar instead of some unknown point in front of the avatar?

I can use the gizmo and orbit icon which are on the right-top of the Viewport (City Limits Lite), but when I use my mouse the pivot point is elsewhere.

I have checked this forum and found some related posts but nothing that solved this, even though this is basic stuff. And I am a basic beginner...

I tried the suggestions related to Workspace --> Customize DAZ Studio --> View Control such as "Aim at Selection" but that didn't do anything useful for me.

Ideally I can use the same mouse button controls as I use in e.g. Marvelous Designer (or Sketchup) but first things first :-)

Many thanks already and if screenshots are needed I probaly will hear that,

Jeroen

Comments

• On its own LMB in the Viewport isn't orbit/rotate - I assuem you are using some modifier keys too? The orbit modifier-drag in the Viewport should do the same as the orbit action on the control.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Do you have the View tools pane visible? If you select an object, then click on View Aim (looks like a target), that resets the orbit centre to the object centre. Note, though, that this is actually going to be the centre of the object's bounding box, which might not be exactly where you want in some cases, e.g. for a critter with a long tail. One way to get around this is to select the critter's chest or hip or something and set that as the centre.

One gotcha — this will or won't work depending on which tool you have selected. I usually use Node Selection (big mouse-pointer arrowhead) and it works there, but with Surface Selection (three blobs with little arrowhead) or some of the others, it won't work.

• On its own LMB in the Viewport isn't orbit/rotate - I assuem you are using some modifier keys too? The orbit modifier-drag in the Viewport should do the same as the orbit action on the control.

Hi Richard,
    thanks for the response.

Shift-LMB, Alt-LMB and Cmd-LMB all do the same: orbit around the same point in space, but not around the character.

• Do you have the View tools pane visible? If you select an object, then click on View Aim (looks like a target), that resets the orbit centre to the object centre. Note, though, that this is actually going to be the centre of the object's bounding box, which might not be exactly where you want in some cases, e.g. for a critter with a long tail. One way to get around this is to select the critter's chest or hip or something and set that as the centre.

One gotcha — this will or won't work depending on which tool you have selected. I usually use Node Selection (big mouse-pointer arrowhead) and it works there, but with Surface Selection (three blobs with little arrowhead) or some of the others, it won't work.

Hi SpottedKitty,

thank you for the reply.

View Tools

When I have the View Tools visible and use the "View Orbit" tool (button) inside, I can orbit the same way as using the Orbit button on the right-top of the Viewport. That works. The "View Aim" tool functions afaik as it should and so do the "View Frame" and "Reset" tools.

My expectation is that, like in many other 3D apps, I can use my mouse to pan, zoom, orbit, rotate (object) and so on. I probably miss some obvious button or checkbox, or, there is something amiss with my mouse: Logitech MX Master 25

I have also explored the various options with the "Keyboard Navigation" and the "Scene Navigator Tool" turned on and off. I have reset all the DS settings to default.

... and, now I found it. As I was trying and writing this message I thought of getting back to the "Window" --> "Workspace" --> "Customize" --> "View Controls Tab" --> "Mouse Button Modifier" --> "Orbit" and there, due to the reset I think, the settings is Cmd+Alt+LMB. And now it works!!!

So thank you both for the questions and suggestions, it helped me to think this through again, and find the solution :-)

Jeroen

View Orbit.png
    3226 x 2636 - 688K
    Screenshot 2019-07-12 at 9.14.55.png
    1358 x 160 - 20K
    Cmd+Alt+LMB.png
    1206 x 1256 - 171K