hello i just made this varsity letterman jacket tell me what you all think if its good or not

lasagnamanlasagnaman Posts: 1,001

i been working for days and days doing this and finally got it right 

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

Looking really good from where I'm sitting!

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited July 2019
    If you made this for a low poly game, then sure it's acceptable.

Otherwise, I see a lot of stitching issues around the armpits. It looks bunched up, as if the seam lengths are not the same. And the sleeves have a strange seam down going down them. The seam needs to be tighten up here.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • lasagnamanlasagnaman Posts: 1,001

where on the sleeve is the seam wrong point it out

i made another one iam hoping this one is alot better iam fixing it right now

no its not for a game its for daz studio

as soon as i perfect it  i will put it up for sale 

• I highly recommed you do a Google search on "varsity jacket womens" and you'll be able to see where you need to make adjustments. The seams of the upper sleeves where the blue and white meet are way down in the middle biceps area and should actually be higher up on the shoulder(but should not extend "over" the shoulder). The way that it currently looks in your screenshots is that a "short-sleeved jacket" had the extra-lengthed sleeves attached to it, which is not the kind of look you want for a typical varsity jacket.

The seams that are parallel to the inner arm length look like they were stitched from the outside without being trimmed afterwards. You don't want that for this kind of jacket. What you want for this is to have the appearance that they were stitched from the inside, meaning a seam where both ends meet, but no stitching showing.

ok i fixed it how does it look now 

varsity jacket .jpg
    1600 x 1024 - 254K
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

ok i fixed it how does it look now 

I'd be very happy if I could make stuff like that:)

you will it just takes practice and patience if you have both you will succeed very well 

• ok i fixed it how does it look now 

Well its kind of hard to tell given that you have the character wearing a mostly black jacket in front of an equally black background. The sleeves themselves do look better, but the yellow portion of the sleeves need to go up higher. Do a search on Men's Jet Equity Vest by DuluthTrading Co. Now imagine fitting those yellow sleeves to it. That's generally how you want those sleeves to be situated on your jacket.

this is the pic i was following i changed the colors 

but the height looks just like this pic i think 

61kRSA5rjWL._UX385_.jpg
    385 x 385 - 15K
    c152b91dcb7a2423fd5f2e086c4876.jpg
    1600 x 1024 - 64K
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited July 2019

First thing, I think your pocket flap (red circle on my edit) is reversed. I'm not sure how she'd put her left hand into a pocket that looks like it angles toward her back. :) Should be a quick fix.

As for the jacket proportions, I think it looks perfect for a men's jacket. Just like one I still have hanging in the back of my closet some *cough*cough* years after I earned it.

But on her, it looks like she's wearing her boyfriend's jacket. The reason is because of the width of the shoulders. In my edit, the green arrow is pointing to where the seam is between the torso and sleeve of the jacket. I would expect this to be at or just a little beyond the point of her shoulder. But the blue arrow is pointing to where her shoulder really is. Since it feels like the body of the jacket is hanging over and drooping off her shoulders, it doesn't feel like the jacket was designed for her. If you made that part narrower for the typical female form (who doesn't have as wide of shoulders as a male) I think it would look better. 

Also, boys/men typically don't mind the big sleeves. It makes them look a little bulkier so it's "cool". But on a woman's jacket I'd expect the sleeves to scale in a bit. In fact at my H.S. the girl's jackets were completely different and didn't have the leather sleeves at all, using the same wool material as the main body and being much tighter to their arms. Only the trim was consistent from one to the other.

Or keep it as is and sell it as "My Boyfriend's Jacket"! :)

Or better yet, since you have an item that would work well for males now (except for the pocket thing), make a copy and work on tweaking the shape a little bit and then you can have one for each gender!

Edit to Add: A package deal with men's and women's jackets would be an "instant buy" for me. For the nostalgia factor alone.

Letter jacket.jpg
    848 x 926 - 86K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on

i saw girls wearing it heavy like this thats the look i was going for 

see the comparison girls like to wear bulky ones 

La-Jolla-Letterman-Jacket-007.jpg
    600 x 800 - 111K
    c152b91dcb7a2423fd5f2e086c4876.jpg
    1600 x 1024 - 64K
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

i saw girls wearing it heavy like this thats the look i was going for 

see the comparison girls like to wear bulky ones 

Yep, I'm sure that some do. And when they do, like the real world example you shared, the jackets will appear to hang lower. I would still have looked at the real girl and my first thought would be she was wearing her boyfriend's jacket. :) Clearly nothing really wrong with the style choice overall, just expressing first impressions.

I should also say that the heavy creases in the leather arms, etc. are done especially well. That was the first thing I really noticed was how realistic those looked. It looks exactly like a heavy wool and leather jaket, just like it should.

In the end, really, if you're happy with the heavier look, I say go for it. It's more of a style discussion than a technical or quality one.

jonny i really really appreciate your feedback  you made me feel so proud of my work thanks again my friend

i have a pic of how the sleeve looks 

hang on a sec

its not a good view ill take a pic tonight and show you 

here you go like i promised  heres the detail on the sleeves that i did 

sleevers .jpg
    1900 x 1216 - 498K
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

You could always call it, "My Boyfriend's Jacket". I know in High School, it was exciting when my boyfriend gave me his varsity jacket to wear.

• alamo4alamo4 Posts: 47

Did you ever put this up for sale?  If so, where?

I would love a varsity letter jacket for G8M, with a variety of color settings.  The AJC College Times Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) I have had a hard time adapting to male figures.  One of the challenges as well is that it is hard to get a coordinated set of colored uniforms to create a coordinated look for a particular school (so that there are football uniforms, basketball, cheerleader, varsity jackets, etc.).    However, I do like that the AJC has some variety of patches and colors, so you can match a particular colored look and give slightly different jackets with different patches to different characters in a scene.  It is hard to show a team sport when everyone has the same numbers on their uniforms.  

There are a few other semi varsity jackets, such as Blue Rabbit's Back 2 School, and the Outsider Jacket that came out with Landon, but they are not great for the purposes of creating the look of a real school team, and instead look like fashion jackets going after a semi-varsity look.

No not yet! i don't now how to set  it up in daz studio so it will show those folders ! if i do sell it i would have to sell it as an obj! 

• alamo4alamo4 Posts: 47

lasagnaman said:

No not yet! i don't now how to set  it up in daz studio so it will show those folders ! if i do sell it i would have to sell it as an obj! 

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I have seen people recommend it over in some of the Freebies posts on how to package up projects.

Packaging DAZ Studio products for distribution - YouTube