JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    They are Dungeons and Dragons Dark elfs. Like the character you have done and my Avatar. My Handle is my D&D character as well as my Avatar..

Thanks for the info. I hope you were not offended by my ignorance.

Szark 08 July 2012 11:50 AM

Excellent posing there version3 (your handle is that becasue your are the third child in your family) Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks Szark. Ten years ago I went through a major change in my life so I use version3 as a handle to remind me how much I like this one and how easy it would be to end up back in one I don't like.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

version3 said:

Szark 08 July 2012 11:50 AM

Excellent posing there version3 (your handle is that becasue your are the third child in your family) Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks Szark. Ten years ago I went through a major change in my life so I use version3 as a handle to remind me how much I like this one and how easy it would be to end up back in one I don't like.Very wise and I like that a lot. I too have gone through some life changes 15 odd years ago and I never want to go back.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Version3 I'm not offened in the least. Not everyone is into paper RPG's. And I changed fourteen years ago and never looked back.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

There's some nice stuff here so far.

Let me qualify here, I'm no expert in posing, and I'm definitely no expert on Poser and D/S. I am assuming that each of these programs has tools and modifiers to assist with posing. Don't forget to use them, they can really simplify the process!

I use Carrara and there are multiple tools that are available. My favorite tool is called the Target Helper Object. It's a 3D cross hair that is invisible in the final render. Carrara lacks a drop to floor feature or the ability to lock feet in position directly (as an example). However, using Target Helpers, you can set feet, hands, eyes, cameras, etc. to track, point at, or follow them. I am assuming that D/S and poser probably have similar tools with different names. They come in handy for animations as well.

This image uses Target Helpers for the feet and eyes. There is one for the left foot and one for the right foot. The feet are set to track the Helper's position and orientation. Inverse kinematics allows me to position the feet where I want and then grab any part of the rig I want including the hip and the feet stay put. The eyes are set to point at a Helper. Very helpful if you don't want to spend a lot of time mirroring the eyes' orientation with each other. This pose is not fully refined yet, but it took me longer to find the right camera angle than it did to do the pose.

Picture_4.png
    230 x 776 - 31K
    Picture_2.png
    249 x 294 - 24K
    Picture_1.png
    649 x 499 - 61K
    Marilyn-Monroe.jpg
    400 x 507 - 37K
    Monroe.jpg
    631 x 800 - 80K
    edited December 1969

Nice! Not only the pose but the tips. Thanks and it's good to see you this month.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Version3, that is a great start. The only thing I can find wrong is what others are talking about. The right arm and wrist need to be a little straighter.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Daz-ann0314 I’ve got your message, I give you a reply only I don’t know if I did it right :)

Yes you did and I got it :)

Since we are all here I can announce too :)

We would like to Congratulate and Welcome Sasje into the Peer Mentor Program. She will be posting here and helping other entrants with any tips etc she can offer as well as posting her progress on her wonderful images as they relate to the contest :)

Thanks so much Sasje for participating in the contests and now for helping others as by being a Peer Mentor :)

edited December 1969

Congratulations Sasje, well deserved and earned.

edited December 1969

Great to hear Sasje. New users can learn a lot from you.

edited July 2012

I thought it worth adding a little note that while the intent of the contest is to get your pose as close to your picture as possible, in some cases you may not be able to due to the joints in the figure you are using. Some twisting and bending etc (while on a human is perfectly natural and doable) may not be possible on the figure you select without some oddity. In cases like that, do as best you can while still getting the pose to look as close as possible.

Also in some cases, like the Marilyn Monroe image above, you may not be able to see all the pose elements (in this case her dress covers her hands) in areas such as that please feel free to pose those areas however you feel would best suite your pose (as evilproducer has done in this case)

I just wanted to point those two things out as I don't want anyone to exclude using a certain image or become frustrated if they can't get the Pose just perfect. :) Sometimes because this is 3D and not real humans you can't always get things identical.

Also one more note, please don't feel you are constrained to only Posing a human :) Feel free to also do animals etc as well. There are tons of running mountain lions and deer and cats curled up who have had their pics taken that would make for perfect references as well :) Though those of the animal kingdom can prove more challenging to Pose :) There are lots of Dragon images online as well and I know the Mil Dragon spends lots of time in my images so if, like me, you are a dragon lover feel free to use that as a subject as well if you choose :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Congratulations Sasje, well deserved and earned.
    I will second that. Nice to see the Peer program starting. I am all a quiver. :)
    edited December 1969

Additional search topics for our 4 legged friends:
    Cats
    lolcats
    Wild Cats
    Dogs
    Horses
    Dragons
    Unicorns

Hope these serve as some additional inspirations :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2012

Congratulations, Sasje! Definitely well-deserved! That pose looks good enough to be marketable.

I'm taking a stab at this. Here's my first effort...I know there's a lot of room for improvement, but just in trying I've learned a lot already. I suspect the hip might be off? My pose lines up pretty well with the reference image (in my opinion) but it looks bad on its own, especially when viewed from another angle. Sorry about the poor resolution of the reference image.

highking1b.jpg
    816 x 816 - 97K
    highking1a.jpg
    816 x 816 - 290K
    51C77YENTQL._SS500__.jpg
    500 x 500 - 55K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Scott-Livingston you sure picked a hard one to try first but did very well at it. I think only the lower right leg and foot are off a little bit. They are hidden in the referance pick but it just looks a bit off to me. More turned out away from the body I think.
    Just my 2 cents.

edited December 1969

Scott that is a fantastic start. I don't see hardly anything wrong with it. To me it looks like he might be a bit off balance. I think the left foot is turned in a bit to much, but this is just a great start. With a few minor tweaks it can be fabulous.

edited December 1969

Just a little note I have started a little but of a FAQ here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3452/#46710

And will continue to add questions and answers as I get them :)

Scott: What a wonderful start! And definitely a hard pose to do. Looking at the reference you definitely picked a tough one though I think you have done a fantastic job with it.

My only feedback would be to try as best you can to figure out in that pose how the character would be gaining balance. Sometimes (in my experience) it means standing yourself up and trying to physically pose yourself as best you can like that and then look at how your feet and legs need to be for you to not fall over :) (though it doesn't take much for me to lose balance so if you're anything like me, be careful while doing it hehe)

It seems like maybe the Right foot/leg may need to be posed similarly to how the left is so it looks like his lower half is pointing firmly in one direction and the torso then turned to the other. As mentioned above, the best way to translate how the foot that is covered over in the image may be turned would be to try out the Pose on yourself and see what you get when you do it :) Though don't be surprised if those in your household wonder what you are doing (we won't discuss some of the silly looks I get from my sons when I am trying to figure out expressions and poses using me as my reference to help LOL)

edited December 1969

Here is an update on my first attempt.

Congrats Sasje, well deserved.

july003_1.jpg
    800 x 500 - 204K
    Action_Games_HD_107.1_.jpg
    640 x 400 - 91K
    edited December 1969

Great job. That looks really good.

edited December 1969

Version3 I really like this one. Good job.

I'm looking forward to you doing another one. In my book this one is done, just my thoughts. Let others respond before you deside if your really finished or not.

edited December 1969

Thanks Frank0314 and Jaderail, I would like to do another render of it to see if I cn get the water to look a bit more natural but I have to go and do a couple of hours work now, will look again when I get home.

edited December 1969

I think your pose is done. If you wish to play with the Image let me add this, a right rim light for highlights would get it closer to the referance image. Just a thought.

• squirrelvidssquirrelvids Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Hi, I'm also Daz Studio and new to the forums as well. I thought I'd take a stab at entering the new users contest, especially because my posing could use some work. I've been using Daz for a couple of months. Apologies if that doesn't count me as a "new user" (I certainly do feel like one!)

By the way, the tips in this thread have already done me a world of good in my own endeavors. Any feedback on my entry would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

belly_daner.jpg.jpg
    800 x 1245 - 249K
    edited December 1969

That is a darn good start squirrelvids. I can not tell if your camera angle is different or the shoulder on the front arm and the rear arm is off. It could be just the camera. I think the forward (right shoulder) is a little to high and the rear (left arm) are just a little off.
    My 2 cents.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2012

I'm liking that we've all chosen such interesting and challenging poses! :) So far everyone is doing great work!

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you every one, you all makes me blush. :red:
    It’s an honor to help other people with their renders here on the WIP.
    I learn a lot and still learning. :-)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

a tip - don't know any one has posted it - use the timeline to make a pose - start with some thing close to what you want in frame 0 then go to the end frame 30 and do another pose - then move from frame to frame until its what you like - then render it - its a great way to make a new pose .

edited December 1969

Oké my second one :-)
    It’s not quite right, I need to fix a few things
    I used this picture as an example.

Lets_Dance_verkl.jpg
    800 x 599 - 103K
    Hip_hop_dance_adult_verkl.jpg
    350 x 218 - 52K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

Hi, I'm also Daz Studio and new to the forums as well. I thought I'd take a stab at entering the new users contest, especially because my posing could use some work. I've been using Daz for a couple of months. Apologies if that doesn't count me as a "new user" (I certainly do feel like one!)

By the way, the tips in this thread have already done me a world of good in my own endeavors. Any feedback on my entry would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

That's a good pose you have got going alread, but just my thoughts. If you really study the pose of the original figure I think you will find she is not actually sitting. The angle of the tighs leads me to thing that she is actulls leaning back from the knees, without her umm situopon actually touching her shins. and her torso is slightly straighter than you have shown it.
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited July 2012

chohole said:

That's a good pose you have got going alread, but just my thoughts. If you really study the pose of the original figure I think you will find she is not actually sitting. The angle of the tighs leads me to thing that she is actulls leaning back from the knees, without her umm situopon actually touching her shins. and her torso is slightly straighter than you have shown it.

Thanks for the comments Chohole and Jaderail! I've updated my pose slightly with Jaderail's feedback incorporated and I think it's better. I still haven't tackled the lower part of the body yet, but I totally agree... it's not quite right yet. I have to admit, I'm afraid of messing it up! :P But I guess that's what "save" is for :)

So inspired by the other folks in this thread! Sasje, your dancer pose ^^ is amazing!

belly_dancer.jpg.jpg
    800 x 1245 - 249K
    Post edited by yann.let_646572d572 on
    edited December 1969

Help! I’m confused I see double pictures with 2 different names.:gulp: