Why do my dynamic clothing always stop working?

DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Every time I copy a backup of my daz drive, and then copy it to a clean drive (for example, i had an old backup, and this month when my current harddrive died, I copied my old backup onto my new drive). But EVERY TIME i do a back up, the dynamics won' work right- they "load" but it's an empty ... null, or whatever. no actual clothing loads.

I'm backing up EVERYTHING, that includes the data folder that has all the dynamics in it.

I can redownload and reinstall, but things like freebies and things i won that don't work anymore- they're just gone. I can't get them again.

So frustrated, is there's something I'm doing wrong? how can i make them work again?
i use the DS dynamics a LOT and its a pain to reinstall EVERY DYNAMIC ITEM all over again :(

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

You have registered the plugin, assuming you are using the Advanced version? It is, in any event, a very good idea to back up the installers as well as the installed files.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

uh, registered the plugin? I tried before I installed the plugin, and then again after I reinstalled the advanced control plugin (and putting in the code for it which is what I'm guessing you mean by registered??), but it doesn't fix all the clothing items that still load as "null" objects (nothing really there). :(

It shouldn't be "breaking" every time I back it up. reinstalling it all every time is just a HUGE PITA. Does it happen to anyone else? Something mus not be working right?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Well, if the plug-in is working then the other likely problem is that the Data folder is missing or is not in the root (not a sub-folder) of a DAZ Studio Content Directory.

edited December 1969

again, that's not it... it's in the copied data folder, and all the dynamics are in it, and everything else in the data folder are working, just not the dynamics. and it's not the first time its happened, either. That's why I was VERY CAREFUL to make sure I had backed up the dynamic data stuff and copied it over, but its not working.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

belovedalia I agree with the cat. When you move content folders, even ALL of them as you did, be sure you map them back to DAZ Studio just as they were mapped in the OLD DAZ Studio. If not stuff will not load properly.

edited December 1969

It's mapped. the entire directory, folder above it, and everything in it is mapped. Everything is working BUT the dynamic clothing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is this in DS3 or DS4? I had some issues with dynamic clothing items stopping orking and needing to be reinstalled in some versions of DS3, but I haven't seen it in DS4.

edited December 1969

DS4.5

edited November 2013

I STILL Can't get it to work!

So it turns out the dynamic clothing control plugin is updated for 4.6 which i get.

but the clothes didn't load in 4.5, and they should have, even without the control, because doesn't 4.5 come with the optitex basic dynamics? I should at least be able to load and drape right?

I'm so freaking fed up. I hate 4.6 and unfortunately, I can' get all the 4.5 stuff like plugins, and shaders, becuase they're all upgraded to 4.6.

I crash constantly and get graphics errors with 4.6 that not even a clean wipe, reinstall, or new harddrive changed.

I tried to revert to DS 4.5, and i loose all of the stuff i've invested in- dynamics won't work, shaders (many of them) don't work, and i use both a LOT.

At this point i may just give it up and go to Poser. Just.... arg! Been struggling with this for too long and I'm ready to toss this thing out a window off of a very high cliff. :'(

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

hahaha, yeah, dynamic clothing is great. It looks wonderful and also introduces your scenes to a quadrillion additional possibilities for bugs :D

Just a few weeks back I noticed that I can no longer open old scene files that contain dynamic clothing. Lost about a month of work right there ^^