Buddhist Armour

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited November 2013 in Freebies

The best armour will always be protecting you - but what sort of armour can you wear permanently? "Sak Yant" (yantra tattoos) have always been very popular in South East Asia. Ritual application of these tattoos by a yant master endows them with supernatural powers to protect and aid the wearer. But with power comes responsibility: the wearer must respect the tattoos - failure to do so is likely to negate (or even reverse) the magic, possibly with fatal consequences!

A single preset tattoo layout (as shown here) mapped to 44 different figures (from DAZ3D, Poser, Sixus1, Kirwyn, and others - but for Genesis I've only done the original base figure so far). (Edit: the tattoos for Sixus1's Behemoth2/Thrusty will seem partially blurred/smudged - this is due to the limited resolution UV-mapping for certain areas)
One 2048x2048 PNG mask image for each figure. Masks can be used with DAZ Studio's LIE, but I've also included a couple of scripts, one for Poser, one for DAZ Studio (Edit: the DAZ Studio script is BETA version, and currently only works for standard materials - you'll notice this with Dawn, Genesis, or any figure using non-standard materials. Use LIE instead for these)...

ShareCG: http://www.sharecg.com/v/72731/view/11/Poser/Buddhist-Armour
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=72648

Edit: if you want to see what the tattoos look like on the different figures check the additional images on the ShareCG page.
If you want need any hints on changing the tattoo colour or making them look newly applied or old and washed out check the additional images on the ShareCG 'Fixes and a Few More Figure Mappings' page - see post 4 below.

Mappings for a few more figures completed (see post #4), loads more yantra tattoos in the pipeline, plus improvements to the scripts...

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Most excellent, Pete! Thank you very much.

Your disclaimer on ShareCG seems to suggest that the Khmer text might be gibberish because you replicated it from blurred pictures, but you must know that at least two big (coffee table) books on sak yant came out in the past year, and surely they have clearer images of the text -- or maybe not, on the other hand, since the photos are on the arty side.

I don't read Khmer either, but I'd hate to bring down a curse on my computer. The diagrams are terrific, though, and it all looks very authentic.

Now then, what's the house in the promo background???

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013

I'm not aware of those books, but they're likely to be beyond my ฿0 budget and they're unlikely to have the background information that interests me. The text on the genuine tattoos is, I believe, usually Buddhist kata (chants). These often consist of the first syllables of various phrases of the Pali Canon and other Buddhist scripture - meaningless unless you know what they mean!

The yant master at my Mythical S.E. Asian wat assures me that the magical effect of these specific yantra tatttoos only works in the virtual world, and will not affect your computer - which is a shame, since they provide protection from far more dangers than insurance cover does! The magic only comes into effect when a virtual yant master applies the tattoo to one of your figures...
    (luckily application by a yant master is included in my 'Apply Tattoo' scripts! ;-), but DAZ Studio's LIE doesn't have that! :cheese: )

The house is tinovandeijzen's "Traditional Thaihouse". I (well, my alter ego with the money) bought it from Renderosity a couple of years ago. It's no longer available from Renderosity (although the page is still there), but Google the name and you should still be able to find it (or similar) for sale...

Cheers!
    Pete

edited December 1969

Thanks again, Pete. Actually I'm pretty sure the tattoo books out of Thailand WOULD have plenty of information of interest and usefulness, but you're right, they're not cheap, like your skates.

And, since I have exactly the same amount of money to spend as you do, I shall have to wait for Tino to make his Thai house free, possibly in a bid to make merit. I did indeed find it elsewhere -- at OnTarget3D for $8:
    http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/Manufacturer/21-tinovandeijzen.aspx

Or I could make one of my own. Give me a year or two.

edited November 2013

Buddhist Armour (Fixes And More Figure Mappings)

Mappings of the same KaoYodSet1 tattoo to the basic free Genesis figures (Genesis Basic Male/Female and Genesis 2 Female) plus Adam2 and HIM (Sixus1 oldies).

Also corrections to the Michael 4, FREAK 4, She-Freak 4, and Genesis mappings - I'd forgotten that generation 4 uses separate maps for limbs and torso, and had the arm and back parts of the tattoo on a single image, resulting in spurious bits of tattoo on the back of the head, chest, and underarm.

Since the Genesis figures use non-standard materials by default my 'Apply Tattoo BETA' DAZ script won't work with them (this also applies to ANY figure that uses non-standard materials, e.g. Dawn). But the masks can be easily used with Layered Image Editor, and I've included a 4 page PDF to help anybody who's never used it before.

ShareCG: http://www.sharecg.com/v/72772/browse/11/Poser/Buddhist-Armour-Fixes-And-More-Figure-Mappings
    Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=72660

Happy rendering!
    Pete Williams
    29th October 2013

BuddhistArmourGenesisPromo1-800.jpg
    800 x 800 - 137K
    edited December 1969

Never occurred to me there was anything wrong!

Pardon this mere quickie render with the M4 Hitman Agent 47 head morph from a couple of days back. Haven't yet done a proper scene.

M4_Hitman_Agent_47_01.png
    300 x 463 - 136K
    edited November 2013

That's a good demonstration of the mistake - this tattoo should only appear on the back and shoulders! The bit of tattoo you see is a duplicate of the bit on the right shoulder - compare your render to the OP image and you'll see it's just the top-right edge of the circular tattoo ("yant mahaniyom" I think) plus the three squiggles (Edit: 'unalome' - the symbol represents the path to enlightenment). But because I originally mapped both the torso and limb parts of the tattoo onto a single image the limb parts also show up on the torso and the torso parts show up somewhere on the limbs.

Edit - the attached image is the design I used (drawn and typed from scratch by hand and computer by myself, based on various reference images). The red lines separate the four distinct tattoos, so if you want to customize you can delete any complete tattoo. For the nine spires yant across the top the ten additional spires on each side are optional.

KaoYodSet1.jpg
    716 x 558 - 140K
    edited November 2013

One Way To Map Tattoos Using Blender

1) Project the tattoo image orthogonally onto your figure's mesh.

2) Bake the projected texture onto the figure's UV map.

That's it! For those who want a bit more detail you can download the PDF from ShareCG here http://www.sharecg.com/v/72795/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/One-Way-To-Map-Tattoos-Using-Blender

(also uploaded to Renderosity tutorials, but awaiting approval)

HowTo.jpg
    474 x 508 - 78K
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

One Way To Map Tattoos Using Blender

1) Project the tattoo image orthogonally onto your figure's mesh.

2) Bake the projected texture onto the figure's UV map.

That's it! For those who want a bit more detail you can download the PDF from ShareCG here http://www.sharecg.com/v/72795/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/One-Way-To-Map-Tattoos-Using-Blender

I often ask people who have tattoos in a foreign language if they know what the writing means. Almost no one does. I just snicker and walk away. Thanks very much for this.

edited October 2013

I often ask people who have tattoos in a foreign language if they know what the writing means. Almost no one does. I just snicker and walk away. Thanks very much for this.

Ah, the old "That looks pretty/cool/tough - I'll have one them!" approach.There are a few amusing stories about people discovering what their tattoos actually say...

Ahem! :red: Errr... well... simply putting the text from the tattoos here through Google Translate is a case in point!

(And I thought that they were Buddhist kata... glad I put the disclaimer on the download pages! Luckily it's nothing rude or offensive!)

Eel yant: "Kho tou The account service published Seth cents proudly published guess the appropriate forum India being not arham Cambodia to Case the advances hear India ? back OK group size"
    Nine spires yant: "The level of abuse ntho proudly ththa, Key at the key lock at SOM, eg"
    Eight points: "The R-size lion ro permanent sticker case, Advances being the key tto gas gas, Chao Cambodia bauam ngou Teeth ttea, Accompanied it in the property India"
    Immortality: "Key proudly celebrates ordinary relatives nam, Korea khom mmom in such ttao, Dthao phtham, Ben India nto November"

Live and learn! So that's why the yant master at my virtual wat in Mythical S.E. Asia had a wicked smirk...

(Next batch I'll just try the characters in keyboard /alphabetical order... or maybe there's a Khmer equivalent of 'lorem ipsum...'... or Klingon? ... or maybe I'll have to make up my own character set!)

Cheers!
    Pete

edited October 2013

...but then (a) Google translate isn't particularly brilliant with S.E.Asian languages, and (b) Khmer script is used on sak yant to write Buddhist chants in Pali/Sanscrit...

Hmmm... Google Translate... This one translates English -> Khmer -> English nicely

"I want to be Angelina Jolie
    Tattoo with five rows
    Good for me
    fashion victim
    No, not me"

Just need to transliterate the name and try and balance out the length of the five lines and I have my yant ha taew text ... (edit: easier said than done! scratch that idea)

edited October 2013

The Khmer version of this would be rather appropriate - "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other." (Genesis 11 : 6-7, Tower of Babel). I found a Khmer translation on omniglot.com (that's a great resource for all sorts of real and fictional scripts), and a double check on Google translate gives a fairly consistent rendering back into English.
    And it still looks cool! :coolsmirk:

So I think I've found my 'lorem ipsum...' (well, not a 'lorem ipsum' per se since it actually means something, but you know what I mean!)

Another useful link for would-be tattooists-in-unusual-scripts - the Lexilogos.com multilingual keyboard - that's what I used to type my Khmer script.

(and I've checked about using it - "Can I use information and/or images from Omniglot? If you want to use the material for non-commercial purposes, you're welcome to do so. Don't forget to mention where the material came from.")

Tower_Of_Babel.jpg
    361 x 247 - 35K
    edited November 2013

I've now got around 16 more of these tattoos close to completion (I'm redoing the text on them all!) but I'm now wondering what's the best way to package them up?

1) I'd guess that very few people want all the mappings, so doing separate uploads for DAZ figures / Poser figures / Sixus figures / Kirwyn's figures / Other figures might make sense? Unless anyone specifically requests it I think I'll still bundle them all together.

2) What's most useful - individual tattoos or preset groups (like the four in the original upload)? If it's individual tattoos, then what locations on the body? One option I'm thinking of is mappings of a single tattoo but to many locations, letting anyone with an image editing program black out the ones they don't want (see the attached image* - just a quick test of the idea with M3 so I only did his back)

3) If anybody's interested in the original tattoo images I've done I can include those (they might be useful if you want to do your own mappings).

4) With 16 tattoos and 44+ figures it's going to take some time (plus I've got other projects on the go). I plan to do one tattoo (or tattoo group preset) at a time and map it to all the figures before proceeding to the next tattoo. But if anyone has a particularly urgent need for a number of tattoos for a specific figure it's worth asking.

*The reversed images are mirror images of the tiger, but the text's been redone and is the right way round. And using Google translate I managed to get a nicely appropriate phrase that translates back and forth nicely, "Magic of the tiger, Quick as a tiger, Strong as a tiger" - an even better solution than the ones above perhaps?

M3tigers.jpg
    500 x 442 - 47K
    edited November 2013

Dag nabbit! I hit reply, not edit!

edited December 1969

So who were you replying to? There's nobody here but us.

And, as for what other tattoos I want and how to package them, I'm already very happy with what I've got -- and I'll only use them for the Gen3 and Gen4 guys!

So no need to go overboard for me, but I don't know what kind of action you're getting on the download sites.

Just you try and stay focused on that model of the Temple of the Emerald Buddha that I asked you for a long time ago but you're pretending to ignore me. (Still kidding about that.)

edited December 1969

I like talking to myself - it's the only way I can get a good discussion... "Oh no it isn't"... "Oh yes it is"... etc... ad infinitum...

I'm not getting huge numbers of downloads, but sufficient to make it worth doing more of these. I'm doing them mainly for myself anyway, and the discipline of doing some final testing, packaging up, and releasing as a freebie is a good way to make sure I don't lose stuff.

Re the Temple of the Emerald Buddha ... you missed that one too ... ??? ;-)