Miscellaneous Hexagon Modeling

Comments

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited May 2019

Returning to the Volvo 145 model. Here is a little progress. I still struggle modeling uniform geometric curved surfaces and making them feel even and uniform in their curve transitions.

snip0.png
    842 x 560 - 203K
    snip1.png
    842 x 560 - 104K
    snip2.png
    842 x 560 - 189K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    Rakuda said:

As of this point I don't know that I have used beveling or "control loops".

I haven't had any success googling "Hexagon 3d control loops"

https://shawndriscollcg.blogspot.com/2012/08/polygon-smoothing-using-baby-steps.html

edited May 2019

@ShawnDriscoll I am sitting in a a coffee shop and bring up the link and nearly spit my coffee out laughing when a video with a set of breasts being manipulated in 3D comes up. I glance a the old woman behind me and laugh inside.

Ha!

Good info nevertheless...I think I get the concept of bringing lines close to get tighter creases versus far to get gradual transition. Thanks!

:)

Post edited by Rakuda on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Like I suggest to anyone who will listen ... :D

You should check out Max Hancock's YouTube channel. The videos on box modeling do an excellent job of not just describing the tools within Hexagon, but also good modeling practices like edge flow, control loops, etc.

edited May 2019

@JohnnyRay @MaxHancock Yes, I have them all bookmarked and am watching them one by one. They are lengthy and full of info. Dare I say, I downloaded  them to watch offline as my internet is not always the best. Hopefully nobody wants to kick me in the shins or worse for watching them offline.

Brian

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2019

Progressing some more on the front-end

Adding the hood cover

Extending back to the roof

snip5.png
    842 x 560 - 241K
    snip7.png
    842 x 560 - 268K
    snip9.png
    842 x 560 - 145K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226

Excellent work @Rakuda.  You're getting better at this modeling stuff! ":)  btw, glad you found my videos helpful! 

That's a very nice clean looking mesh @Rakuda! Well done. :)

edited June 2019

Been away for a while practicing my Hexagon skills now and again when I can.

Here are some recent hanging lamp designs.

@JohnnyRay Yes. I try to keep them clean. I want to simplyfy those meshes on the front of the car for the lights. They are overly resolute.

@MaxHancock. Always helpful. I recently discovered if you extrude a model  lengthwise, it does not create as clean a UV mesh as if you draw an outline path and lathe an extrusion from a circle. Then, wow, you get a good workable UV map! That was instrumentall on mapping the blue painting on the porcelain.

:)

Lamp.png
    600 x 480 - 221K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • Nice lamps, really impressed with your flower design - Wondering what you used to create it.

One thing though, your hexagon screen grab, your bulbs do not look central.

• jniemiec86jniemiec86 Posts: 25

Hello Everyone,

Got a question about hexagon force closing everytime I try to add color into my design. How can I stop this from happening? Using hexagon 2.5.2.109

edited June 2019

@jniemiec86 Not sure. You might start another thread asking about it. I don't generally add color in Hexagon. Maybe I haven't got to that  level yet? I usually do all that stuff with UV maps and color in Photoshop,or in Daz. Do you mean assigning material zones?

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

Nice lamps, really impressed with your flower design - Wondering what you used to create it.

One thing though, your hexagon screen grab, your bulbs do not look central.

@WeeDangerousJohn Awesome sauce! Thanks for the comments. Do you mean the image, or the map? And yes, this is true. When I copied the parts to Daz, I arranged them and applied the textures. There I straightened out the alignment.

The image came from the below link:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Owen_Jones_-_Examples_of_Chinese_Ornament_-_1867_-_plate_008.png

I just played wit the horizontal and vertical tiling until I got it right.

s1.JPG
    628 x 781 - 26K
    s2.JPG
    522 x 685 - 34K
    s3.JPG
    478 x 579 - 50K
    s4.JPG
    1182 x 772 - 123K
    vase.png
    2400 x 2400 - 1M
    vasemap6.png
    2400 x 2400 - 7M
    vaserender.jpg
    572 x 741 - 190K
    vase_render001.jpg
    572 x 741 - 165K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

Modeling a Lamp

hex.jpg
    1352 x 721 - 295K
    fixture1.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 293K
    fixture2.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 232K
    765432.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on

I haven't played with the lathe function very much. It is impressive with how uniform the mesh comes out. I'll have to keep that in mind for shapes where that tool would work as an option. Thank you for sharing.

edited June 2019

@JohnnyRay Absolutely! Even when some shape is vaguely similar to a cylinder and that is a goos staring primitive, it allows for an orderly UV map.

Here is some work on a more organic model, Heliconia in a vase.

vasemodel_hex.jpg
    1366 x 728 - 312K
    heliconia_hex.jpg
    1366 x 728 - 343K
    Heliconia-lennartiana-22.jpg
    640 x 960 - 118K
    heliconia_plant.jpg
    600 x 600 - 150K
    heliconia_hexrender.jpg
    843 x 559 - 71K
    654324336.jpg
    741 x 960 - 186K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

The Heliconia model can be downloaded and freely used.

https://sharecg.com/v/93993/browse/5/3D-Model/Heliconia

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

A simple bookshelf.

model can be downloaded and freely used.

https://sharecg.com/v/93994/browse/5/3D-Model/Bookshelf

bookshelf_angle.jpg
    741 x 960 - 290K
    bookshelf_perspective.JPG
    841 x 562 - 74K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

Created this mask in Hexagon.

Now that I look at it, the nose bridge could be indented a bit on top to get a better profile.

The next challene is to figure out how to model an array of feathers to sit atop it like the reference photo below.

Update: Better angle on the nose:

Update: Redesign to include a better fringe among other adjustments.

mask_hex2.JPG
    850 x 562 - 105K
    feathers.jpg
    906 x 1008 - 179K
    maskrender2.jpg
    927 x 741 - 322K
    nose.jpg
    685 x 433 - 126K
    mask3.jpg
    942 x 756 - 145K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

I have a curve and I have used thickness before and now I can't for the life of me locate "thickness".

Where did it disappear to?

Ahhh, found it on Surface Modeling Tab

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

Ok, making some feathers for the mask  this weekend, but got distracted making some numerals for a dart board with the thickness tool on a curve.

numerals.JPG
    920 x 751 - 91K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    Rakuda said:

Ok, making ... ... this weekend, but got distracted ...

Yep, that's pretty much my whole workflowlaugh. That's ok though. Some of my best ideas were things I stumbled upon by accident.

Nice work on the numbers.

edited June 2019

@Kitsumo Thanks on the numbers, now I have to make the dartboard.

Indeed how it goes witht the workflow... With the following evidence:

^__^

Here is an experiment observing the simple geometric variation of apartment buildings.I think it is possible to create one model that could with the help of a preset morph. material combination generate the variety of low-poly houses and apartments in a neighborhood. I know somebody has already done this, no?

houses_hex.JPG
    1125 x 681 - 82K
    aerial.JPG
    876 x 653 - 141K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

The general term for them is "greeble blocks". Stonemason has several examples, but they are sci-fi themed. They work really well for when you want an areial view over a scene and make it look like you're flying over a city, or want a city/town stretching out into the background without "paying" for the weight of a normal hi-poly object.

edited June 2019

@JohnnyRay Looks like an interesting concept. I would definitely like something more standard houses versus scifi. One of the issues in loading soome of the neighborhood sets is the weight of the whole  thing in the scene. Would be nice to load low-poly for some content and higher poly for the geometry closest to the camera.

Here is something that I am struggling with at the moment. It seems like a simple enough thing, but I am not having an easy time modeling this chairback. Getting nice even geometry around the hole while also defining everything else well is a flow challenge.

I think I see what I need to do. I need to replace a few rings with radiating versions.

Update: This geometry seems to be working better. Like a spider web.

seatback.JPG
    813 x 497 - 89K
    corrected1.JPG
    722 x 463 - 62K
    corrected_occ.jpg
    658 x 404 - 123K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited June 2019

A suggestion at first glance, I would probably only have 1 or 2 rings around the hole in the back and try to get the lines running as vertically around the mesh as possible. All those radiating lines from the hole seem to be adding some distortion to your faces that you don't really need. It may make UV mapping and texturing harder.

Also you have some poles on the mesh (see below) which, because they are in curved sections of your mesh could cause you some problems when it comes to rendering and Daz Studio trying to subdivide your mesh for you at rendering time.

Chairback.jpg
    813 x 497 - 115K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
    edited June 2019

Thanks @JohnnyRay I reduced the model down to the example in orange. Then smoothed and added a few control loops. The resulting chair looks alright. I just want to add a normal map to give the legs some apparent ridges and shadows versus extra geometry,

seatback_revised.jpg
    742 x 480 - 104K
    bar_chair001.jpg
    916 x 1186 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on

Very nice. :)

• Have you tried using a chamfer around the hole and the outer edge ?

edited July 2019

@WeeDangerousJohn That might produce a more uniform result. :)

Thank you @JohnnyRay Im just a beginner among a lot of pretty expert modelers here.

Here is my further attempt at the metalworks of a dartboard.

Rough Draft: (There are some smoothing issues to work out.)

the Splines in the second ring to center need to be removed.

dartboard2.JPG
    824 x 539 - 71K
    Rough_draft.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 487K
    Rough_draft3.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 753K
    Post edited by Rakuda on