Daz Studio 4.11 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• ColvinColvin Posts: 23
    edited June 2019

Saw product updates appear in DIM. Clicked to install. Realized that it was 4.11 upgrade. Open it up to see the new features and tried a render. It says "Unable to render. No renderer available". Tried to uninstall and go back to 4.10, no such luck. I can't afford a brand new computer (all my money has gone to Daz for content) Well that stops my purchases for the future if I can't use them. Been a Daz customer since 3/31/01 spent hundreds if not thousands on content and now I'm physically banned due to an upgrade. Thanks for the heads up email DAZ letting me know that it could all end.

Post edited by Colvin on
    edited June 2019
    Colvin said:

And I just got the Weekly Staff Pick this week. Bummer

Post edited by Colvin on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183
    Colvin said:

Saw product updates appear in DIM. Clicked to install. Realized that it was 4.11 upgrade. Open it up to see the new features and tried a render. It says "Unable to render. No renderer available". Tried to uninstall and go back to 4.10, no such luck. I can't afford a brand new computer (all my money has gone to Daz for content) Well that stops my purchases for the future if I can't use them. Been a Daz customer since 3/31/01 spent hundreds if not thousands on content and now I'm physically banned due to an upgrade. Thanks for the heads up email DAZ letting me know that it could all end.

Which renderer are you trying to use? If it's Iray, DAZ Studio 4.11 requires a minimum NVIDIA driver version (release notes say 418.81, minimum). As for 3DL, I don't recall seeing any new minimum requirements.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited June 2019

...ah should have come to the last page.  I have 430.86 (Titan X) so that should be fine.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited June 2019

Thanks NorthOf45 but unless I can reinstall 4.10 I'm screwed. I have an old machine that is upgraded to the max spec (OS Yosemite, GPU Nvidia 8800 gt 512mb) Won't be able to except new driver 418.81. I was just squeaking by on what I had with 4.10. Thanks for the help : ) Just wish I had a heads up on what would happen before I clicked upgrade. I won't be doing anymore rendering unless I win the lottery.

Post edited by Colvin on
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,944
    edited June 2019

Ah, nevermind all this, I was rolled back to an earlier driver than I thought.

Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Colvin said:

Thanks NorthOf45 but unless I can reinstall 4.10 I'm screwed. I have an old machine that is upgraded to the max spec (OS Yosemite, GPU Nvidia 8800 gt 512mb) Won't be able to except new driver 418.81. I was just squeaking by on what I had with 4.10. Thanks for the help : ) Just wish I had a heads up on what would happen before I clicked upgrade. I won't be doing anymore rendering unless I win the lottery.

Did you save the old installers for 4.10? In that case you can uninstall 4.11 and install 4.10 again ...

• TomCatOliverTomCatOliver Posts: 195
    RAMWolff said:

Thank you for FINALLY giving us a General Release.  SHEESH.  I have to say the rendering is MUCH MUCH faster.  1600X1600 rendered in a few minutes, in 4.10 it was like 20 minutes.  BIG difference.  

There seems to be some disagreement over whether 4.11 renders faster or slower than 4.10.

I'd be interested to know exactly what people who are finding it faster are basing this on. Are you letting the render run until it reaches 100%, or stopping it when it "looks" finished? Are you rendering with the denoiser on? Obviously that makes it look cleaner much more quickly, but loses detail compared to 4.10 without denoising.

I've got both versions installed, and have loaded lots of scenes into each, and let them render until they finished, and like some other people have mentioned, 4.11 is consistently at least 50% slower than 4.10. So, a scene that renders to completion in 5 mins in 4.10 will take at least 7and a half to 8 mins in 4.11. A few minutes are no big deal, but when you're talking about large renders that take, say, 8 hours, suddenly that goes up to 12 hours. Which is a big deal.

I'm using a 1080ti, latest drivers, Win 10, 32gb system ram.

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 420
    edited June 2019

*So I now have Daz Studio 4.11 Pro and the public beta still sitting on my machine. In my programs window under Progams file-Daz 3d-Dazstudio4-uninstallers I see the following files:

Uninstall DAZ Studio 4.10 (64bit) info says file version 4.10.0.123

I do not see an uninstaller for 4.11 pro is this by design or would that installer listed above wipe out my Daz 4.11 pro?

*Do the uninstaller file matter as I do not see one for the beta version at all?   Do I use Dim to delete the beta version? what would I be looking for the DIm to delete that application without touching the newly installed app?

Hope this makes sense to someone besides me.

Post edited by wscottart on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    wscottart said:

*So I now have Daz Studio 4.11 Pro and the public beta still sitting on my machine. In my programs window under Progams file-Daz 3d-Dazstudio4-uninstallers I see the following files:

I do not see an uninstaller for 4.11 pro is this by design or would that installer listed above wipe out my Daz 4.11 pro?

*Do the uninstaller file matter as I do not see one for the beta version at all?   Do I use Dim to delete the beta version? what would I be looking for the DIm to delete that application without touching the newly installed app?

If you used DIM to install the Beta, then use DIM to uninstall it.

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 420
    wscottart said:

If you used DIM to install the Beta, then use DIM to uninstall it.

Okay great that step worked. But of course some stagglers got left behind like fluidos and infinito. I will remvoe those and reinstall them to support 4.11 pro. So I guess in the future I would also use the dim for uninstalling or reinsalling Daz pro 4.11?

Yes. Whatever you install with DIM, you use it for uninstalling and reinstalling. The same goes for plugins.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    RAMWolff said:

Thank you for FINALLY giving us a General Release.  SHEESH.  I have to say the rendering is MUCH MUCH faster.  1600X1600 rendered in a few minutes, in 4.10 it was like 20 minutes.  BIG difference.  

There seems to be some disagreement over whether 4.11 renders faster or slower than 4.10.

I'd be interested to know exactly what people who are finding it faster are basing this on. Are you letting the render run until it reaches 100%, or stopping it when it "looks" finished? Are you rendering with the denoiser on? Obviously that makes it look cleaner much more quickly, but loses detail compared to 4.10 without denoising.

I've got both versions installed, and have loaded lots of scenes into each, and let them render until they finished, and like some other people have mentioned, 4.11 is consistently at least 50% slower than 4.10. So, a scene that renders to completion in 5 mins in 4.10 will take at least 7and a half to 8 mins in 4.11. A few minutes are no big deal, but when you're talking about large renders that take, say, 8 hours, suddenly that goes up to 12 hours. Which is a big deal.

I let it finish.  It's a 1600X1600, partially clothed figure with transmapped hair and a backdrop only. I'm not sure if denoiser is turned on by default or it's something I need to enable but yea, it finished in 4 min 56 seconds fully! 

• galgalzgalgalz Posts: 1
    evacyn said:

Anyone else have weird issues when moving the camera by scrolling with the mouse's scroll wheel? It seems to occassionally stop moving forward and then starts moving side to side. Or is this a setting I need to enable/disable?

I have the same issue, I use my keyboard and mouse to move around the scene and I've noticed in 4.11 that if I move right and left with my keyboard and then I scroll with the mouse wheel, it scrolls from side to side instead of zoom in and out, that's a real issue for me, I can't do anything like that, I use the mouth scroll a lot.

I am trying to revert to 4.10 as I am writing this.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950
    RAMWolff said:

Twin 1080tis here on Win 10 16Gb RAM - I'm seeing similar (if not worse numbers). My latest scene took 3 1/2 minutes on 4.10 and now takes almost 6 minutes. I'm using the 425.31 Nvidia drivers.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Well, for me 4.11 isn't faster. It isn't at all. It dropped me to CPU.

I checked nVidia for my gtx1080 and the latest driver is 430.86 which just came out a few days ago. Checked older drivers as well and the latest previous driver is only 391.xx dated march of 2018. I assume I have the OEM version of that one which is also dated March 2018.

So I should update driver with the 430.86 one at nVidia.

There's a catch though. Dell doesn't have it yet and claims my PC is up to date.

I'm set up with Intel running graphics and the 1080 left alone for other uses. I'm afraid installing the driver from nVidia would mess that up (anyone know?) and I don't know how to fix it if it does. I need all my 8gigs (-MS reserve) for iRay.

Oh, since the split, which driver would I use? Gaming or Studio?

Spit said:

I checked nVidia for my gtx1080 and the latest driver is 430.86 which just came out a few days ago. Checked older drivers as well and the latest previous driver is only 391.xx dated march of 2018. I assume I have the OEM version of that one which is also dated March 2018.

There's a catch though. Dell doesn't have it yet and claims my PC is up to date.

I'm set up with Intel running graphics and the 1080 left alone for other uses. I'm afraid installing the driver from nVidia would mess that up (anyone know?) and I don't know how to fix it if it does. I need all my 8gigs (-MS reserve) for iRay.

If it is a standalone graphics card, i.e. not onboard, then I would download and install the NVIDIA driver. The driver will check your system upon installation for compatability. If it doesn't work, then you could always download the OEM driver to revert back to your current version. As for running Intel graphics, hopefully someone can help you out on that.

Gaming or Studio? That depends on what you mainly use the card for. I'm using the Studio driver (GTX 1080Ti) and it is working for me.

• jtdekoningjtdekoning Posts: 134

I can confirm that the mouse wheel knocks the view around a bit from time to time.

Any one else notice that it seems to take an extremely long time to come out of an IRay spot render? I've watched the task manager while waiting, and Daz maxes out the CPU while I'm waiting.

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148

Thanks for the release guys. Great work devs... This release broke all the beta version counters you've had so far. Can imagine the whole team is celebrating with drinks,pizzas and cakes all over the place :)))

(and there is always that guy working on an escalated issue alone while literally everyone else is eating :PPP)

Gratz

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Spit said:

If it is a standalone graphics card, i.e. not onboard, then I would download and install the NVIDIA driver. The driver will check your system upon installation for compatability. If it doesn't work, then you could always download the OEM driver to revert back to your current version. As for running Intel graphics, hopefully someone can help you out on that.

Gaming or Studio? That depends on what you mainly use the card for. I'm using the Studio driver (GTX 1080Ti) and it is working for me.

Thanks! Didn't know there was a separate Studio driver! Just found the toggle in GeForce Experience and installing now for my GTX 1080Ti! I set a restore point just in case. How much faster is the Studio driver over the game driver with Daz Studio 11? Better viewport use? Faster renders? Dforce sims?

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950

I can confirm that the mouse wheel knocks the view around a bit from time to time.

Any one else notice that it seems to take an extremely long time to come out of an IRay spot render? I've watched the task manager while waiting, and Daz maxes out the CPU while I'm waiting.

Thank you! I didn't see anyone else post it until you just did. I've found that scrolling back/forth quickly seems to reset it, but it's a weird bug.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    dawnblade said:
    Didn't know there was a separate Studio driver!

The name's a bit misleading; it isn't "a graphics driver for DAZ|Studio", it's "a graphics driver for design studio work" — suitable for 3D programs such as 3DSMAX, MODO, LightWave, maybe Blender, and yes, DAZ|Studio. I should be able to afford a computer upgrade in the next couple of months, so I'll find out then what it's like.

FWIW, the difference with previous NVidia driver versions is that they included lots of bells and whistles specifically for gamers, optimising for a big list of games. Half of my updating time was usually working out which bits of the driver installers were actually needed, and which bits I could safely toss out.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    Spit said:

Thanks for the response.

I do have a standalone card so I guess I can try to update the driver.

or not.

Not happy about the situation. This machine is only a few months old, the drivers barely a year old, and I'm locked out of iray. And if it's slower than before, well, what's the point. How many others did this affect. You guys know how to check for drivers (just look at the log) and DIM gives no warning. I haven't been following along and wasn't beta testing. I'm not the only one and was taken by total surprise.

Anyway I'll sleep on it. Either wait for Dell, install the driver and hope, or revert to 4.10.

• I've updated my driver today on 430.86, but for my 980Ti there wasn't a Studio driver.

Before i'll give 4.11 a try i for sure make a Backup of my 4.10 folder this weekend.

I'm also curious about the many posts that 4.11 renders slower than 4.10.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

I'm a Mac user, so if I downlad, it would be the Macintosh version, 64 bit. Are their problems with that version. If so, what problems?

inquire said:

I'm a Mac user, so if I downlad, it would be the Macintosh version, 64 bit. Are their problems with that version. If so, what problems?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4656791/#Comment_4656791

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited June 2019

I begin to understand why this version seemed to be in beta for an unusually long period. I've filed tickets on the two issues I mentioned upthread, although I don't expect to hear much for a bit. I would imagine that tech support is getting slammed with various issue, as is normal with a new release.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    Colvin said:

FWIW, I did start a thread with just that title two weeks ago - but there''s no way to get this out to anyone except by the forums.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183
    Spit said:
    Spit said:

Thanks for the response.

I do have a standalone card so I guess I can try to update the driver.

or not.

Not happy about the situation. This machine is only a few months old, the drivers barely a year old, and I'm locked out of iray. And if it's slower than before, well, what's the point. How many others did this affect. You guys know how to check for drivers (just look at the log) and DIM gives no warning. I haven't been following along and wasn't beta testing. I'm not the only one and was taken by total surprise.

Anyway I'll sleep on it. Either wait for Dell, install the driver and hope, or revert to 4.10.

Year-old drivers? That's an eternity in NVIDIA development. Dell might think that they are up-to-date for their specs, but Studio is way past them. The notes for 4.11 release say a minimum version of 481.18 is required, which came out a few months ago. Now they're up to 430.86.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,944
    edited June 2019

Are the driver requirements higher for using the denoiser than what is listed here? Or is something else going on for me? On larger scenes that can still fit on my card with denoiser off, it seems to be going straight to CPU or having some sort of failure. I'm on driver version 425.31. I can get the denoiser to work on very simple scenes (loading a single object and hitting render).

*hmm, it's honestly very hit and miss for me right now if it will use my Nvidia card, with or without the denoiser. Anyone else on driver 425 and either having issues, or not having any? Any troubleshooting steps if it's working for others?

Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on