allowed to export models i buy?

snaggelixsnaggelix Posts: 0
edited June 2019 in Art Studio

so i play gmod, but i saw that there were some incredible sci fi laboratory tech backgrounds here. i go tthis program thinking if i wanted to play around with them, i'd just have to do so in this program, but it seems possible to export said models to blender, which i use to import things into the likes of garrysmod and SFM

my question is this. even if a private use thing (by private i mean, me alone using, as these are things i will have paid for) would the people i buy these assets from be offended at all by seeing their work being played with in the source engine? or are they content to take my money and let do what i want with them after? ( as for pottentially releasing them publicly, i'd contact them first and ask them for permision, but i'd think by default it'd be a 'no" as, after all, even if the people using the source engine dont have accounts here, it would still be seen as a loss in money earned if it could simply be used for free on source)

or is it againnt some kind of set of rules to do so? though i do this for my own sake, i dont want anyone feeling any negativity, while it would make me happy to play with assets from here in gmod, i just want everyone to be happy. even if i have to miss out on these assets in the likes of the source engine

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Art Studio as it is a non-technical usage question rather than a Product Suggestion.

For your own use, just sharing 2D renders (still images or animations) you can do as you like with content from the Daz store (with a limited exception for the Anne Marie Goddard Digital Clone for Victoria 3, as noted on the product page). You could not, however, share the results as 3D data or 3d prints.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Isn't GMod an animation program? If I understand what Richard's saying correctly, you're free to use anything you buy at Daz for your videos, but you're not allowed to share the models with other people. You're also not allowed to charge money from people for watching your animated films, unless you've got an extended license.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    TigerAnne said:

...You're also not allowed to charge money from people for watching your animated films, unless you've got an extended license.

Didn't know this.  Thought extended license was more related to stuff like games that need the model to generate the images in the game.  Thought animated film was just a string of renders.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    snaggelix said:

so i play gmod, but i saw that there were some incredible sci fi laboratory tech backgrounds here. i go tthis program thinking if i wanted to play around with them, i'd just have to do so in this program, but it seems possible to export said models to blender, which i use to import things into the likes of garrysmod and SFM

my question is this. even if a private use thing (by private i mean, me alone using, as these are things i will have paid for) would the people i buy these assets from be offended at all by seeing their work being played with in the source engine? or are they content to take my money and let do what i want with them after? ( as for pottentially releasing them publicly, i'd contact them first and ask them for permision, but i'd think by default it'd be a 'no" as, after all, even if the people using the source engine dont have accounts here, it would still be seen as a loss in money earned if it could simply be used for free on source)

or is it againnt some kind of set of rules to do so? though i do this for my own sake, i dont want anyone feeling any negativity, while it would make me happy to play with assets from here in gmod, i just want everyone to be happy. even if i have to miss out on these assets in the likes of the source engine

That would be against the End User License Agreement that you agreed to when you bought and installed the Daz3D content.  It would be derivative and illegal.  It would also be distribution of the 3D assets.  Again illegal.

because you want to use it in gmod,  which is a Halflife2 modification derivative,  it is an interactive game engine and part of the Online STeam workshop network.  You need to read the EULA carefully,  cause you would be in contravention of the EULA.  All big negatives.

Now there is an interactive License that can be acquired for additional fees but modifications are not allowed even with that license.. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE DAZ3D content and assets to others. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    TigerAnne said:

You're also not allowed to charge money from people for watching your animated films, unless you've got an extended license.

You can definitely use your animations for commercial purposes with the standard EULA, extended license is for when you use the 3D models themselves for things like games.

• TigerAnne said:

Isn't GMod an animation program? If I understand what Richard's saying correctly, you're free to use anything you buy at Daz for your videos, but you're not allowed to share the models with other people.

Right

TigerAnne said:

You're also not allowed to charge money from people for watching your animated films, unless you've got an extended license.

No, 2D films are fine under the basic EULA, the Interactive License is needed only for games and such where the application includes 3d data from the Daz product.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,298
    because you want to use it in gmod,  which is a Halflife2 modification derivative,  it is an interactive game engine and part of the Online STeam workshop network.  You need to read the EULA carefully,  cause you would be in contravention of the EULA.  All big negatives.

This is incorrect. If we're just going by the word "interactive", Daz Studio is an interactive program.

The important thing is who is doing the interacting. If it's a person who has a standard Daz licence for that content, this is absolutely fine. Under the standard licence, it is as acceptable to use Daz content in GMod (or similar software such as Source Filmmaker) as it is Daz Studio, Poser, Blender, 3DSMax, etc, as the licence includes permission to modify the content and does not require that it remains in Daz format. (Daz Studio even has export tools for that very purpose).

It's only when it is being distributed to someone who does not have a Daz licence that the extended licence is required, along with measures to stop someone reverse engineering that data... and I know the Source Engine more than well enough to say that preventing reverse engineering isn't possible; the engine is so old and has so much modding support that people have almost completely dissected the model formats (Hell, I was involved in part of that), so distribution for GMod would be impossible even with an extended licence.

TigerAnne said:

Isn't GMod an animation program? If I understand what Richard's saying correctly, you're free to use anything you buy at Daz for your videos, but you're not allowed to share the models with other people.

Right

GMod which is short for Garry's Mod,  is a game modification, a physics sandbox,  that can also do animation,  but it is not merely 2D output.   So when the original poster say he might want to release it publicly, and used for free on Source (source is the game engine SDK) ,  that's talking potentially about the 3D assets,  and flags should be raised.  That is not allowed. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/Garrys_Mod/

This is incorrect. If we're just going by the word "interactive", Daz Studio is an interactive program.

The important thing is who is doing the interacting. If it's a person who has a standard Daz licence for that content, this is absolutely fine. Under the standard licence, it is as acceptable to use Daz content in GMod (or similar software such as Source Filmmaker) as it is Daz Studio, Poser, Blender, 3DSMax, etc, as the licence includes permission to modify the content and does not require that it remains in Daz format. (Daz Studio even has export tools for that very purpose).

It's only when it is being distributed to someone who does not have a Daz licence that the extended licence is required, along with measures to stop someone reverse engineering that data... and I know the Source Engine more than well enough to say that preventing reverse engineering isn't possible; the engine is so old and has so much modding support that people have almost completely dissected the model formats (Hell, I was involved in part of that), so distribution for GMod would be impossible even with an extended licence.

The interactive license is very speicific in its use. 

• TigerAnne said:

Right

GMod which is short for Garry's Mod,  is a game modification, a physics sandbox,  that can also do animation,  but it is not merely 2D output.   So when the original poster say he might want to release it publicly, and used for free on Source (source is the game engine SDK) ,  that's talking potentially about the 3D assets,  and flags should be raised.  That is not allowed. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/Garrys_Mod/

Which is why I said "For your own use, just sharing 2D renders (still images or animations) ..."

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited June 2019

If only 2D image renders and video animation files leave your computer you can pretty much use DAZ content in whatever you like, I bake “games” using Unreal Game engine of stuff I don’t have game licences for  that I capture “playing” using shadowplay for example and just upload those videos.

Twinmotion another thing I have been using a lot lately too and baking BIMmotion exe files I can then WASD walk through and capture for videos.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

GMod which is short for Garry's Mod,  is a game modification, a physics sandbox,  that can also do animation,  but it is not merely 2D output.

If the actual assets are not being shared with other people, and only the generated animations are, it is 2D output in exactly the same way as an image or animation rendered from Daz Studio is 2D output.

It's a flat image, even if what is being depicted is a three dimensional object.

The interactive license is very speicific in its use.

I know. I've read it very carefully, and the interactive licence addon specifically relates to purposes "which may require access to the CRT Content by the User’s customer". It's entirely about sharing the content with a third party.

The user themselves is always permitted interactive access to the content (by virtue of the first term of basic licence), otherwise they couldn't actually do anything with it.

• snaggelixsnaggelix Posts: 0
    snaggelix said:

That would be against the End User License Agreement that you agreed to when you bought and installed the Daz3D content.  It would be derivative and illegal.  It would also be distribution of the 3D assets.  Again illegal.

Now there is an interactive License that can be acquired for additional fees but modifications are not allowed even with that license.. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE DAZ3D content and assets to others. 

snaggelix said:

alright. so im not allowed to share the assets files. understood. but i CAN use them privatly for myself? just so i understand correctly?

so just to be safe i wont share the content with anyone, only pictures i make using them

snaggelix said:
    alright. so im not allowed to share the assets files. understood. but i CAN use them privatly for myself? just so i understand correctly?

You will not be able to legally share the asset files in any circumstance; even if you bought an interactive licence, the Source engine's MDL format is too easily decompiled to meet the licence requirement that the end-user not be able to reverse-engineer the content.
    However, as long as only you have access to the actual assets, then the standard Daz licencing terms permit you to make your two-dimensional art in whichever rendering program you prefer. The interactive licence only worries about a third party being able to interact with the content.

Wendy_Carrera's summary is a pretty good one - as long as all that's leaving your computer is 2D images or animations, the "access, use, copy and modify" term in the standard agreement basically gives you carte blanche for how you achieve that.

snaggelix said:

You will not be able to legally share the asset files in any circumstance; even if you bought an interactive licence, the Source engine's MDL format is too easily decompiled to meet the licence requirement that the end-user not be able to reverse-engineer the content.
    However, as long as only you have access to the actual assets, then the standard Daz licencing terms permit you to make your two-dimensional art in whichever rendering program you prefer. The interactive licence only worries about a third party being able to interact with the content.

Wendy_Carrera's summary is a pretty good one - as long as all that's leaving your computer is 2D images or animations, the "access, use, copy and modify" term in the standard agreement basically gives you carte blanche for how you achieve that.

alright. thanks for clearing that up. will help me sleep better at night knowing everyones happy