Daz Studio 4.11 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Iray is faster than it was in the beta! I installed the beta for the very first time 10 days ago to use my RTX2060.

RTX2060 - beta - 19 minutes 34.19 seconds

RTX2060 - public build - 17 minutes 52.87 seconds

This is my own test scene which previously took 59mins with a GTX970, so I'm seeing major improvements in card speed, but also another little boost from DS itself. And of course, the RTX factor is yet to be implemented.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I must be missing something ... downloaded (and installed) 4.11, finally found the dForce Starter essentials in DIm and downloaderd and installed. Bought some of the dFrce/Strand based hair and whilst it shows uo in preview pane it is invisible in a render. I coudl searcg in the forums but life is too short to try and find anythign useful, so .. help! I know I saw somethign which made me go and look for the dForce Starter Eseentiasl update, but is teher also something needed for the starnd-based hair to work?  If so, what and where?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

"Public Build" is the term for the Beta, so I assume you mean "General Release" is faster than Beta. That's surprising, because I thought the 4.11.0.383 Public Build (Beta) was exactly the same as the 4.11 General Release. Any two renders can differ in speed because of a lot of factors. I wonder whether you are seeing something else affecting the test results. Faster is always better! I hope your results are sustained.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Well I found the 4.11 Gereral release starts up faster than the beta and to me the UI looks more crisper when I do a side by side comparison. Strange but true. LOL

• SimonJM said:

I must be missing something ... downloaded (and installed) 4.11, finally found the dForce Starter essentials in DIm and downloaderd and installed. Bought some of the dFrce/Strand based hair and whilst it shows uo in preview pane it is invisible in a render. I coudl searcg in the forums but life is too short to try and find anythign useful, so .. help! I know I saw somethign which made me go and look for the dForce Starter Eseentiasl update, but is teher also something needed for the starnd-based hair to work?  If so, what and where?

Did you also update the Default Resources?

• hookflash said:

Is it just me, or has IK been vastly improved in 4.11? Everything just seems smoother, and I'm not getting the usual "collapse into a pretzel" effect when I push the pose too far. Also, pins seem to actually function more like pins! Maybe I'm dreaming... ;-)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4622591/#Comment_4622591

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    Szark said:

Well I found the 4.11 Gereral release starts up faster than the beta and to me the UI looks more crisper when I do a side by side comparison. Strange but true. LOL

Interesting and mysterious!

SimonJM said:

Did you also update the Default Resources?

I updated everything I coudl find that was flagged as new in DIM, but do not recall there being a 'Default Resources' (from memory it was: DS itslef, DCC, Measurement metrics, and hidden away the dForce Starte Essentials)).

But strangely, now I have looked at strand-baded hair it is starting to render ... colour me confused!  Back to try the Big Cat 2 stuff to see if that has decided to work now ...

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 430
    edited June 2019

How does one find this new version in DIM? I can manually download it, but I can't seem to get it in my Dim installer do we need to add it to our purchase history, if so how, where?

found it, It was hidden, why was it hidden?

Post edited by wscottart on

Oooooookay ... colur me even more confused now ...

Load Big Cat 2, load the new dForce Hair for it, tweak it a little (lengthen, some clumping), and get happy with it.  Set up camera, etc., etc., do a test render .. happy!  Go back, run a dForce simulation, re-render and ... no cat!  Damn thing has disappeared. As I had also added DoF I looked at that first, no joy. So did a Clear on the Simulation and the cat (along with hair/fur) is back.

• barbult said:
    Szark said:

Interesting and mysterious!

May well be down to some different setting between the two versions.

• A bunch of stuff stopped working with the Daz Studio 4.11 Pro update.  I can't seem to get Look At My Hair, LAMH 2 Iray Catalyzer plug-in to show up anymore. V3Digitimes Ultimate Pose Mixer script also stopped working.  Any tips on how to get them to work again?

UPDATE: I got the Look At My Hair, LAMH 2 Iray Catalyzer plug-ins to work by using the manual installers. For some reason, they don't show up in DM anymore. 

Check the installers aren't hidden or filtered in DIM.

barbult said:

"Public Build" is the term for the Beta, so I assume you mean "General Release" is faster than Beta. That's surprising, because I thought the 4.11.0.383 Public Build (Beta) was exactly the same as the 4.11 General Release. Any two renders can differ in speed because of a lot of factors. I wonder whether you are seeing something else affecting the test results. Faster is always better! I hope your results are sustained.

Yeah, sorry. It's the general release, not public build. That was a hangover from the notes I made at the time.

I don't know what other factors there could be. This is a promo scene I used to test the GTX970/RTX2060 when I switched cards. All I did in each case was open the scene and render. Nothing else has changed on my pc or in DS.

By the way, what's the story with saving scenes in this release? I now have to save by name every single time. With CTRL+S it used to be only the first time I saved a scene, then after that it just saved without asking. Now it asks for a name over and over again. Kinda annoying. I make small changes, then save. Having to keep on double-clicking the file name, then 'Yes' interrupts my flow.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    edited June 2019
    maclean said:

By the way, what's the story with saving scenes in this release? I now have to save by name every single time. With CTRL+S it used to be only the first time I saved a scene, then after that it just saved without asking. Now it asks for a name over and over again. Kinda annoying. I make small changes, then save. Having to keep on double-clicking the file name, then 'Yes' interrupts my flow.

Is your Authorship (name at least) information filled in? Click Edit - Preferences and look on the General tab.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Thank you for FINALLY giving us a General Release.  SHEESH.  I have to say the rendering is MUCH MUCH faster.  1600X1600 rendered in a few minutes, in 4.10 it was like 20 minutes.  BIG difference.  I'm also noticing faster pose application... Sometimes a pose would take about 30 seconds to apply.  Seems allot better now.  Wondering, why isn't there a dockable Strand Hair panel?  If it's supposed to be there, it is not.  Not that I can see.  I found it under the Create drop down menu at the very bottom but no proper panel like D-Force has.  

Thanks again!  WOOT!  

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 549

All of the issues I had with all of the 4.11 Betas remain in the General Release. No one else has mentioned them, so I guess they're strictly down to my setup (of which, these have been present across multiple PC configs), but they are mouse moving issues and displacement/poke-through issues that don't happen in 4.10. Weird, but I've yet to se any solutions for either of them.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I'm always nervous about installing a new version snd what that might do to existing projects. Does installing 4.11 prevent going back to 4.10?

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

I want to put 4.11 in an alternate location, not overwrite 4.10. Can I safely do that? If so, how?

Deke said:

I'm always nervous about installing a new version snd what that might do to existing projects. Does installing 4.11 prevent going back to 4.10?

No, but you'll need a copy of the 4.10 installer. One can't revert without that.

Torquinox said:

I want to put 4.11 in an alternate location, not overwrite 4.10. Can I safely do that? If so, how?

Really really not recommended.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    Deke said:

You can’t download 4.10 anymore now that 4.11 is released, so you’d need to have a backup of 4.10 installer to downgrade. 

• Trash PandaTrash Panda Posts: 111

I upgraded to 4.11 I couldn't find the graphmate and keymate in the windows > Panes (tabs). They are in 4.10 when I load the old version of DAZ.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Torquinox said:

I am curious. Why not?  I have read of users having both 4.10 and 4.11 beta on their pcs.

gitika1 said:
    Torquinox said:

I am curious. Why not?  I have read of users having both 4.10 and 4.11 beta on their pcs.

One can have a Beta and a General Release on the same machine, no problem. The poster asked whether one can have 4.10 (and I assume the previous General Release version) and the current General Release version on the same machine in different locations. That is not recommended at all.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Question for @rbtwhiz in the relase notes for the Iray engine, it mentions this:

Iray 2018.1.2, build 312200.1281

Added and Changed Features

• Iray Phtotreal & Iray Interactive
      • The builtin implementations for bump and normal maps use the gammavalue set for the input texture, instead of always (incorrectly) assuming gamma 1.0 (as in older version of Iray). This may cause scenes that (incorrectly) use tex::gamma default to render incorrectly now. The legacy behavior can be enabled by setting the scene option force builtin bump linear gamma to true (default: false)

Does this mean that some of our bump and normal map settings may produce different results? Or was the implementation in DS / Uber Shader unlikely to be affected by this?

• veenveen Posts: 132
    edited June 2019

Today i purchased dForce Femme Fatale Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females and dForce Longdrape Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s) . I also installed the new Daz studio 4.11 plus my latest GPU drivers ( 2X GTX1070 )

i can load the hair and its visable in the viewport but it doesnt show upo in my preview render. What is going on here? DIM doesnt show any new updates. please help me/us

i have the same problems as SimonJM

Post edited by veen on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    JonnyRay said:

Question for @rbtwhiz in the relase notes for the Iray engine, it mentions this:

Iray 2018.1.2, build 312200.1281

Added and Changed Features

• Iray Phtotreal & Iray Interactive
      • The builtin implementations for bump and normal maps use the gammavalue set for the input texture, instead of always (incorrectly) assuming gamma 1.0 (as in older version of Iray). This may cause scenes that (incorrectly) use tex::gamma default to render incorrectly now. The legacy behavior can be enabled by setting the scene option force builtin bump linear gamma to true (default: false)

Does this mean that some of our bump and normal map settings may produce different results? Or was the implementation in DS / Uber Shader unlikely to be affected by this?

The only thing I found is artifacts when using compressed Bump maps, no compression no artifacts. 

gitika1 said:
    Torquinox said:

One can have a Beta and a General Release on the same machine, no problem. The poster asked whether one can have 4.10 (and I assume the previous General Release version) and the current General Release version on the same machine in different locations. That is not recommended at all.

Yes, general release versions. I see. Thank you.

I suspect the limitation on multiple installation of general releases is due to shared resources such as the database. Where betas are meant to be used in isolation for testing, the latest general release is intended to replace previous versions. Right?