How To Get Fast Renders For Large Scenes With Animations Included?

Hey Guy's, I'm working on my first episode to my 3D animation TV Sitcom, and I'm about to go get a faster graphics card such as (NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card). My current Graphics card can't handle the load. My question is will this new NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card get the job done as far as rendering in a reasonable time frame? I'm pretty serious about my animation career so yea I don't mind the investment. I also checked with the company of my computer to see if my motherboard and desktop can handle this card. The answer from them was yes, but they aslo told me if I want to be sure check with geek squad and allow them to install it. I may just install myself. But the first episode is filled with action scenes, driving, converstations, and the enviorments are large because the story has to do with a big city. Will this graphics card get the job done? I'm aiming for about 10+-20+ minutes. I use other softwares for editing and FX just want to render my scenes that I create in daz in a reasonable time frame with out waiting hours and days running up my light bill.. All help and answers are highly appreciated. Thanks so much guy's, bless. 

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

I'm pretty serious about my animation career

I am too.

which is why I , (Like Most  animators) do not use brute force path tracers for animation projects
    unless one has access to a render farm with hundreds of GPU's or  do not do any time sensitive production.

......But the first episode is filled with action scenes, driving, converstations, and the environments are large because the story has to do with a big city. Will this graphics card get the job done?

Yes it will .........eventually

I'm aiming for about 10+-20+ minutes.

If ,by this ,you mean 10- 20 minutes per finished frame then yes you should do well.

• antwonfilmsantwonfilms Posts: 70
    edited June 2019

Thanks so much bro!! I really appreciate the help!! Thanks for taking the time out to read my post. & that is a really cool project you have there. Impressive. Nice Work. 

Post edited by antwonfilms on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Hey Guy's, I'm working on my first episode to my 3D animation TV Sitcom, and I'm about to go get a faster graphics card such as (NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card). My current Graphics card can't handle the load. My question is will this new NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card get the job done as far as rendering in a reasonable time frame? I'm pretty serious about my animation career so yea I don't mind the investment. I also checked with the company of my computer to see if my motherboard and desktop can handle this card. The answer from them was yes, but they aslo told me if I want to be sure check with geek squad and allow them to install it. I may just install myself. But the first episode is filled with action scenes, driving, converstations, and the enviorments are large because the story has to do with a big city. Will this graphics card get the job done? I'm aiming for about 10+-20+ minutes. I use other softwares for editing and FX just want to render my scenes that I create in daz in a reasonable time frame with out waiting hours and days running up my light bill.. All help and answers are highly appreciated. Thanks so much guy's, bless. 

my opinion, one 2080 (whilst much improved over previous cards) is still not fast.

Only you can determine what you call fast; how many frames do you have to produce? How much time do you think each frame should take to render?

frames * time per frame.

Say a ten minute video at just 30 frames a second. 30 * 60 * 10 = 18,000 frames.

1 minue per frame (which is likely to be far quicker than you can manage); 18,000 / 60 = 300 hours.

Now there are ways to save time; render foreground and background separately; re-use frames and partial frames. But offsetting that is redoing renders when things change or errors are spotted. Maybe you can reduce the frames per second; maybe you don't need to do 10 minuts (or whatever your target time is). Maybe you can reduce the resolution or settle for slightly lower quality of render?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

IMHO 10 min/frame is totally unreasonablesmiley. 3Delight may not be an option for what you do, but using a biased render engine for animation opens up a bunch of possibilities to keep rendertimes down. My target is 1 min/frame with a descent level of realism, sometimes I manage do get down to 30s/frame, sometimes up to 3 min/frame, depending on how much raytracing is going on. And with 3DL you don't need to worry about fitting your scenes on the GPU.

• Thanks guys for all the great feedback. Stay In touch. When my first episode is done I’ll show you guys. I’ll do a post in the forum for all my Daz friends. ❤️????

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476

Hey Guy's, I'm working on my first episode to my 3D animation TV Sitcom, and I'm about to go get a faster graphics card such as (NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card). My question is will this new Graphics Card get the job done as far as rendering in a reasonable time frame?

No it won't. At least not with iray. With a single card you can aim to either still pictures to make a comic book, or very short animations say one-two minutes. For serious production you need a render farm.

For home-made animation there are alternatives to iray though. With a single card you can get reasonable results using real-time pbr engines. Then you can choose among a bunch of them such us iClone or Blender or UE4 but there are others too.

Or you can go CPU and use 3DL but you have to avoid raytracing to make it fast so the rendering quality may not be good enough for you depending on the final result you aim for.

• Hi Antwonfilms

You might want to look at Octane, which I've started testing recently (and the pricing is not too bad, they have a 20 buck a month subscription), it is way faster than iray so far.  My current pipeline utilizes Marmoset toolbag, but that requires exporting your scenes to fbx (my animation pipeline uses motion capture, both facial and body, so I use Motionbuilder primarily).  Another option is UE4, which does have RTX ray-tracing specific support, but can be a bear to get stuff into it correctly.  A lot of production is moving to UE4 because of this.. this article shows more of that capability https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/troll-showcases-unreal-engine-4-22-ray-tracing-with-unprecedented-cinematic-quality-lighting

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

If you really want to get fast renders for a 20-30 minute animation (which means up to 108,000 images at 60 fps), you're going to have to do like the production animation houses do and go to a render farm. Even at 10 minutes per frame, that would be 18,000 hours or 750 days. Almost 2 years of nothing but rendering. If you cut it in half (wihch is probably about the best you could hope for with a single machine doing the rendering), it's still almost a full year of rendering to get one episode done.

No matter how well you build out a single PC, it's never going to be able to render animations as quickly as a farm of servers doing the same thing. Take a look at this thread to see one person's take on how to make this work.

[TUTORIAL] Iray Server Farm / batch rendering for Daz Studio

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited June 2019

I love your work Wolf Its just awesome.

I only use daz studio for my animations I can't grasp the learning curve of the more powerful software.   I have a 2 - EVGA 1080ti  super clocks they are 11.5gb  each I put them in a pci2 express external GPU cooling box  with a 1100 watt PSU and i can get iray renders in animation to around a minute a frame I try to hit a target of 40 seconds pre frame . I start with low iterations setting and then start pushing up the setting values until achieve getting rid of the graininess. as long as you don't plan on having more than 4 people in a Iray scene a 8 gig  graphic card might be okay.  I would try to find a graphic card with 12 gig gpu.  RTX gpu is fast but its the really the vram you need & more important in daz animation than the core function. mostly because you need to hold the scene during rendering other wise your system will lock up for lack of vram & crash.  you need the vram so you can load your assets into the scene or learn how to work with bill boards and plane props..lol

Must have tools for serious daz studio animation creation.

the full license Animate2 plugin,  https://www.daz3d.com/animate2

Decimator https://www.daz3d.com/decimator-for-daz-studio

resource saver https://www.daz3d.com/resource-saver-shaders-collection-for-iray

Scene Optimizer https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

other plugins like graph-mate and key-mate etc will be helpful but these linked tools will help you get the job done in iray, any film I make running over 5 minutes i will use 3delight or use a render farm $$$  

here is a list of render farms https://rentrender.com/iray-render-farms/ look for the daz studio icon software match and you will need to know how to use c+++ with remote virtual desktop with most render farms. there is a PA here Jack Tomalin  that has a render farm but i am not sure if he can handle animated scenes,.

these I did were all created and rendered in daz studio iray . i have way lots more on my YT channel..lol

Post edited by Ivy on