Using daz Studio with render farm?

info_5178ccf7d7info_5178ccf7d7 Posts: 9
edited April 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

I would like to do some renders but Daz Studio is really too slow, and I don't plan to spend $1000 on a new card. I was thinking to try using one of the various online render farm services. The problem is: after I have made the scene in daz studio, how to I export it? what format? I found a list of "iray render farm" but... I am not sure how to do it. If anyone has any simple tutorial/tip I would appreciate it :) thanks

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Contact the various farms, they should have a guideline.

• Just my two cents.

In answer to your primary question, Daz Studio has the capability to connect to iray render farms, for the most part you just need to go to the Advanced button under the Render settings and click the right most sub tab. Enter the IP address of the farm and go to town.

If you can't connect, or that option isn't available, export the scene in the mental images scene format(*.mi) and that will be renderable in Iray server standalone.

Unfortunately you'll find that using a render farm is either no faster than what you achieve now, or is cost  prohibitive.

while the cost may seem low on the price pages, take any amount and multiply by 24 hours and see if it's really cost effective.

If they have an onsite calculator use that.

i just did a quick one on the rebus site(https://us.rebusfarm.net/en/lets-go/calculator).

At their low rate of 2.2 cents/GHzH, using two opteron 6174 at 1hr is an hourly rate of $1.12

I used those processors as i have a server with those particular cpus in them so i know the real world performance with daz iray.

The last major render i did on that server took 29 days, to reach 93% convergence, 50k itterations.

It consisted of the yamaki rapture bike, stonemason's urban future 5, and one armored genesis3 female using the light/camera/render preset set for UF5.

so if i paid a render farm to render that scene it would cost $779.52

the server cost me $150 on ebay with a cheap 1GB gpu, ati, and a 500GB HDD, WD, it came with 32GB of ram.

I just recently started GPU based rendering, and found that the older Fermi m2070 is a fairly cost effective solution, if you don't mind improvising cooling for it.

Picked one up for $50 on ebay, 448 cuda, 6GB ram. A modern card with those specs will run about $300+/- on newegg.

In bench marking it rendered about 3 times faster than my dual 6174 server.

the problem is that the amount of ram isn't sufficient except for "simple" scenes.

• I just recently started GPU based rendering, and found that the older Fermi m2070 is a fairly cost effective solution, if you don't mind improvising cooling for it.

Picked one up for $50 on ebay, 448 cuda, 6GB ram. A modern card with those specs will run about $300+/- on newegg.

the problem is that the amount of ram isn't sufficient except for "simple" scenes.

Do note that Fermi chips are deprecated in the current build of Iray and will be removed from the next build, so when that is added to DS the card will not be supported.

• Do note that Fermi chips are deprecated in the current build of Iray and will be removed from the next build, so when that is added to DS the card will not be supported.

thanks for that,

i knew they've been threatening that for a couple years.

Just got the card to start getting an idea if gpu based rendering was even going to be viable for what i currently do with daz studio, and short of the 24GB monsters i'm stuck with cpu based only.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited January 2018

Just my two cents.

In answer to your primary question, Daz Studio has the capability to connect to iray render farms, for the most part you just need to go to the Advanced button under the Render settings and click the right most sub tab. Enter the IP address of the farm and go to town.

If you can't connect, or that option isn't available, export the scene in the mental images scene format(*.mi) and that will be renderable in Iray server standalone.

Unfortunately you'll find that using a render farm is either no faster than what you achieve now, or is cost  prohibitive.

while the cost may seem low on the price pages, take any amount and multiply by 24 hours and see if it's really cost effective.

If they have an onsite calculator use that.

i just did a quick one on the rebus site(https://us.rebusfarm.net/en/lets-go/calculator).

At their low rate of 2.2 cents/GHzH, using two opteron 6174 at 1hr is an hourly rate of $1.12

I used those processors as i have a server with those particular cpus in them so i know the real world performance with daz iray.

The last major render i did on that server took 29 days, to reach 93% convergence, 50k itterations.

It consisted of the yamaki rapture bike, stonemason's urban future 5, and one armored genesis3 female using the light/camera/render preset set for UF5.

so if i paid a render farm to render that scene it would cost $779.52

the server cost me $150 on ebay with a cheap 1GB gpu, ati, and a 500GB HDD, WD, it came with 32GB of ram.

I just recently started GPU based rendering, and found that the older Fermi m2070 is a fairly cost effective solution, if you don't mind improvising cooling for it.

What?  surprise  Ummm.... No.  Here is what you want:   http://ultrarender.com/#section-about

Post edited by drzap on
  • rayglendenningrayglendenning Posts: 136
    edited January 2018

Be aware that Nvidia have changed their licensing and you can't use consumer cards in datacentres anymore

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/03/nvidia_server_gpus/

Post edited by rayglendenning on
  • MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
    edited March 2018

This is exciting news. Has anyone else had success using a render farm with DAZ Studio? Is it really that easy to use?  Also, does anyone have a list of render farms that support iRay rendering with DAZ Studio.  

Post edited by MaxHancock on
  • radiuozradiuoz Posts: 14

Good news for those who are trying to render your Daz scene with render farm. Not exactly a render farm. GPU server. 

Very good service: https://app.xesktop.com/

https://garage.farm/

I'm doing my 3ds max renders with these guys - a big thumbs up to their team.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454

Don't see Daz on their list of supported apps.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited June 2019
    jaebea said:

here is a whole lisrt of iray render farms https://rentrender.com/iray-render-farms/ look for the daz icon for software match.

personal I like RenderRev render, https://www.revuprender.com/ I have used them a couple of time for projects and always had great service.  they are USA based 200mbps highspeed data transfer  they use a remote virtual desk top so everything stays put on your own PC ,  &  you can load any software using GPU rendring not just daz but Maya and blender as well as carrara , awesome support to walk you through the set up process to get you started . . $1 pre core minute for starting price. with $200 min requirement. to connect. Just have your scene tested and ready to go before connecting to the server and its much cheaper if you spend your time testing rendering on a  render farm server its going to add up fast I do my test renders on my PC and save it before starting VDP to connect to the iRAY servers.. . I just used these guy for a commissioned animation back in February.  It did cost me just under $600 for a 12 minute film but the cost went to the client. so keep track of your render times.

GOOD LUCK smiley

Post edited by Ivy on
  • thedoctorthedoctor Posts: 195

Ivy said:

here is a whole lisrt of iray render farms https://rentrender.com/iray-render-farms/ look for the daz icon for software match.

personal I like RenderRev render, https://www.revuprender.com/ I have used them a couple of time for projects and always had great service.  they are USA based 200mbps highspeed data transfer  they use a remote virtual desk top so everything stays put on your own PC ,  &  you can load any software using GPU rendring not just daz but Maya and blender as well as carrara , awesome support to walk you through the set up process to get you started . . $1 pre core minute for starting price. with $200 min requirement. to connect. Just have your scene tested and ready to go before connecting to the server and its much cheaper if you spend your time testing rendering on a  render farm server its going to add up fast I do my test renders on my PC and save it before starting VDP to connect to the iRAY servers.. . I just used these guy for a commissioned animation back in February.  It did cost me just under $600 for a 12 minute film but the cost went to the client. so keep track of your render times.

GOOD LUCK smiley

Found this thread and, unfortunately, REVUPRENDER doesn't seem to be operating now. I realize the limitations of Daz studio with respect to distributed rendering, but I would very much appreciate any leads on resources that have a really bad-ass rendering station available for use to assist in getting Daz renders done. 

Thanks

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

info_5178ccf7d7 said:

Hi,

I would like to do some renders but Daz Studio is really too slow, and I don't plan to spend $1000 on a new card. I was thinking to try using one of the various online render farm services. The problem is: after I have made the scene in daz studio, how to I export it? what format? I found a list of "iray render farm" but... I am not sure how to do it. If anyone has any simple tutorial/tip I would appreciate it :) thanks

not the best time to buy a GPU either. My 2 year old 1660Ti has gone up in price noticably since I bought it.

• Just came across this Forum. Wanted to invite you to check out Boost for Daz (https://boostfordaz.infinite-compute.com/) .  We are a Daz approved partner providing remote access to NVIDIA GPU acceleration (perfect for Macs, PCs and Desktops) and optimized for Daz Studio.  Feel free to reach out to us on our Boost for Daz discord server, or go here for our knowledge base.  If you happen to a Daz+ member,  you are already pre-registered for a 10% discountyes