Hardware to improve viewport speed

What can i do to reduce lagginess and improve the experience of working in the viewport for complex scenes with many props/figures etc.

I dont care about render speed too much.  Viewport speed is more important to me.

Currently i only have:

gtx 960

16GB ram

Is GPU most important for this? or is it RAM or CPU dependent?

Comments

• Have you set the Viewport Optimisation in Edit>Preferences>Interface tab to best? For safety it defaults to None.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

Have you set the Viewport Optimisation in Edit>Preferences>Interface tab to best? For safety it defaults to None.

I have turned the optimisation settings to 'Best' and it seems to help.

However there is still a noticeable lag in complex scenes when navigating, i.e., rotating camera and positioning objects, when in texture-shaded view etc.

Therefore I would still like to know whats of increasing performance.

Capture2.JPG
    637 x 765 - 55K
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838

The problem is the viewport is OpenGL, there is a limit to what that system can display, textures are the usual problem as they can quickly overload it, so during the setting up of a scene it's best to use smooth shaded mode.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

Thank you for your replies.

I have been testing settings and the optimisation settings have in fact helped a lot with performance, and i seem to be able to navigate complex scenes without experiencing any lag in texture shaded mode.