Seiko Mens Watch -WIP

TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

This started as a simple box modelling project on a lazy afternoon and has evolved into a Watch.
Hexagon has a lot to offer and this is a simple enough project.
Will try to finish and distribute if anyone interested.

Comments

• admkrkadmkrk Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Where are all the edges in the face coming from or going to? it should be a single quad from what I can see.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

Here is no face yet. Here is the clasp

clasp.jpg
    657 x 636 - 18K
  • ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

testview (pic #1) inside back large rectangle shows an "n"-gon set of triangles pointing to center; which could and probably should be a quad...that is the 'face' that was mentioned.

edited December 1969

Thanks. will do that to reduce polly count. Now that i think of it I dont need all those linkpins in the band either so i could remove them too.

edited December 1969

Yea, that was what I was talking about. Not just to reduce the poly count but it's never a good idea to have that many lines meeting at a single point. On a flat surface like that it's also likely to produce shading artifacts.

As for the pins, if you have one at every link then definitely trash them, they'll never be seen. The ones connecting the band to watch might be seen if it's ever in that close a shot, even if it's just the ends. If you just eliminate all the subdivisions along it's length it'll use less polys than if you made a cap for each side. No reason for all those subdivisions on a cylinder any more than a cube unless it's bending or changing radius.

edited December 1969

admkrk said:
    Yea, that was what I was talking about. Not just to reduce the poly count but it's never a good idea to have that many lines meeting at a single point. On a flat surface like that it's also likely to produce shading artifacts.

As for the pins, if you have one at every link then definitely trash them, they'll never be seen. The ones connecting the band to watch might be seen if it's ever in that close a shot, even if it's just the ends. If you just eliminate all the subdivisions along it's length it'll use less polys than if you made a cap for each side. No reason for all those subdivisions on a cylinder any more than a cube unless it's bending or changing radius.

Whats the best way to go about removing the subdivisions.

edited December 1969

The easiest way is to dial them down when you first create the cylinder. ;-)
    I always forget and in Hex you can't do it after you validate it so it usually means starting over even if you haven't done anything yet with it.

Depending on your patience I can think of two ways for the point you're at. The easiest might be to select all the edge loops between the ends and hit backspace I'd suggest the first especially if you beveled the edges of what you have now. Plus I usually can't get Hex to behave properly when typing in rotation values. Snap

edited July 2012

Good to know, I thought there was another way after they were created. Will try to loop trick. Here is the latest. Will need some cleanup before working on face.
    The fun part will be looping this around genesis wrist.

watchwband2_(640x310).jpg
    640 x 310 - 38K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited December 1969

Tugpsx said:

The fun part will be looping this around genesis wrist.

Might have been easier to model it that way to begin with? If you deform by curve it will probably deform the individual pieces as well. If you look up a "tank tread" tutorial(doesn't have to be Hex oriented, duplicating along a curve works the same in most programs) however you should be able to figure out how to get the band pieces to wrap around. Then it's just some fidgeting to get the face and clasps to line up properly.

edited July 2012

Actually it wasn't as bad as i thought, it was figuring out the IK for the fold, thats gonna be a bit tricky.
    For a DAZ prop none of that is needed. But for a close up it may be interesting to have.

watches1_(640x310).jpg
    640 x 310 - 55K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited December 1969

Decided to try a different body style.
    The face is a quick mockup using UVMap

watches2_(640x409).jpg
    640 x 409 - 100K
    edited December 1969

Interesting thing happened. Did the UV mapping in Hexagon when exported to Octane the decal face map is split.

testwatch1.png
    640 x 480 - 424K
    testwatch1a_(640x411).jpg
    640 x 411 - 83K
    edited December 1969

Updated. layout in Hexagon and rendered in Octane.

watch1a.gif
    150 x 112 - 1M
    testwatch2b.png
    640 x 480 - 403K
  • VI KnightVI Knight Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This came out really great. Good work.

edited December 1969

Thanks. Will attach to Genesis arm for another quick render. Looks like I will have to loose some of the folding clasps to make is a decent prop. In most case it would not be seen when worn by character.

• edited July 2012

This is, hands down, THE most impressive WIP thread I've ever come across.

You're very first sentence "This started as a simple box modelling project on a lazy afternoon and has evolved into a Watch" seemed like such a ho-hum intro to yet another unremarkable thread here, but it now reminds me of the spinster-looking librarian taking off her glasses and throwing her hair back to become a sultry love goddess. :-)

I certainly hope you're working in this field, because I rate this as "professional" work.

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
    edited December 1969

Wow thanks for the kind words. Its interesting what happens when you have a community like this behind you.
    Most users look at Hexagon as a modeling program, however like most other modeling programs this one has the abilty to do layouts and preliminary rendering. Coupled with my upcoming H2O (Hexagon to Octane plugin) rendering will be a welcome addition.

• edited December 1969

Tugpsx said:
    Wow thanks for the kind words. Its interesting what happens when you have a community like this behind you.
    Most users look at Hexagon as a modeling program, however like most other modeling programs this one has the abilty to do layouts and preliminary rendering. Coupled with my upcoming H2O (Hexagon to Octane plugin) rendering will be a welcome addition.

Octane, I have heard mention of this before where would I find it and is it opensource or freeware?

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Here is the watch fitted to Genesis. Will check in DS if it works with morphs.

WatchonGenesis_(640x412).jpg
    640 x 412 - 79K
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited July 2012

wow really amazing work.you can modify/improve textures/maps in Substance Designer 2.5 ..but its kinda expensive that app. :-)
    I should start to learn modeling in Hexagon right now :)

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited July 2012

Thanks, here is quick test on Genesis wrist. May have to reduce the watch body size and add an extra link to take up the space.
    The watch scaled very well with most of the genesis morphs, only freak3 extreme and Gorilla had an issue where it sunk slightly into the wrist.

Seikowatchtest_(500x500).jpg
    500 x 500 - 96K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited December 1969

Here it is with MEC4D hair added for quick test. Interesting how the hair blended under the watch, Cat did a great job with it.

watchtest2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 16K
    edited December 1969

Did a little more detailing on the Seiko Watch. Soon to be released as FREE dynamic prop give away if anyone interested.

seikov0720render_(640x480).jpg
    640 x 480 - 168K
    edited August 2012

Got an issue with the hands, for some reason when rotated they now cut into the face. I dont remember this happening during the building.
    So this has delayed the giveaway if we want to adjust the time by more than the upper part of the watch.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Well you already know how much I like the way this is coming out, but that last gold render is something; makes a good promo image. :coolsmirk: