No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited June 2019

Here it is with checker texture applied.

wow thats a 'wow'. nice work

Thanks, here is an update.  Unfortunately, I unintentionally converted the smoothed mesh to quadruple the number of polygons.  However, I did rearrange the UV islands to create 4 different maps.  The face and ears are on one map, the arms/legs/feet/hands are on another, a third has the torso/head, and the fourth has the eyes and mouth/teeth/tongue.  Get greater potential detail this way.  I've placed the same number in front of shader domains that share the sameUVMap like was done for V4.

Oh no! This may be a dumb question, but do you make incremental saves, like Figure_001, Figure_002 etc.? Once I get to a certain point I make those types of saves, especially if I'm going to do something that might drastically alter the model. I've had many "Argh!!" moments before, and sure to have many more.

Anyways, thanks for detailed explanations as usual. I have looked at 3D coat over the past years, usually around the holiday season when it goes on sale - not the full blown pro version. But I still haven't made the purchase. Maybe this year...

Yes, I have incremental saves.  For this particular figure, it is not really a very bad argh moment.  I am planning to experiment with 3DCoat's retopology tools on this figure anyway.  Just annoying because my ultimate intent is to have low poly claymation-style figures.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the honeycombs hideout

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686
    edited June 2019

First go at 3D-Coat, toon Dragon head

3D-Coat Dragon head 1.png
    1923 x 1042 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Selinita said:

Revisiting 'FishFace' now with tiny side fins...

FishFACEcaustic by Selinita

Cute !!!

edited March 2021

edited June 2019
    Selinita said:

First go at 3D-Coat, toon Dragon head

Looking good!

Thanks

A couple of spots messed up during reptology, 4 ngons, but overall happy with first result. Obj file ended up being 71kb ! Carrara render

3D-Coat Dragon head 2.png
    2400 x 1800 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 2021

Selinita said:

I like the pun on retopology - rept(ile)+ology... this is because you were thinking 'dragon' right? laugh

Great for your first and 71,000 bytes is not that big considering the level of detail - is this one detailed mesh or did you do a simple model plus displacement map?

The mesh I created at the start was quite detailed, it was used by 3D-Coat to generate the Normal map. When I retopologised the original mesh I tried to make it fairly simple, idea being that the normal map carries the detail over.

Will have to do a few more experiments with it. Still much to learn and gain experience on. Glad you liked the pun !

@Bunyip02_Carrara  wow, the dragon head looks great.  I've not tried to bake any maps in 3DCoat and bring them back to Carrara yet, but you are really inspiing me.

what the maximum size of an evironment?  goes over the 3,000 feets

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Dunno if there's a maximum, but some of the landscape presets are 20 miles across. And you could easily tile them . . .

edited June 2019

Dunno if there's a maximum, but some of the landscape presets are 20 miles across. And you could easily tile them . . .

Shadow Catcher Problem

Tried tiling a simple terrain with a zero edge filter.  Unfortunately, getting a shadow catcher problem.  I inserted a plane upon which I plan to replicate a herd.  When I applied a shadow cather sader to the plane, I got a black zone on the replicated terrains, or the plan itself became a black zone.

Simple scene with just 3 distant lights, one terrain (replicated), and one plane.

Placed a realistic sky in the atmosphere but did not insert a sunlight or enable sky lighting in the render room.  Screenshots of scene setup, plane shader tree, and lighting attached.

bb04 shadow catcher test ender sucks.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    bb01 shadow catcher scen setup.JPG
    1588 x 774 - 164K
    bb02 shadow catcher plane shader.JPG
    1505 x 810 - 101K
    bb03 simple 3 light distant setup.JPG
    938 x 497 - 53K

Solved!

Oops.  Silly me.  My valley is not a background map, it is actually in the scene.  The shadow catcher is showing the background, which is still black.

blush

Shadow Catcher Problem

Tried tiling a simple terrain with a zero edge filter.  Unfortunately, getting a shadow catcher problem.  I inserted a plane upon which I plan to replicate a herd.  When I applied a shadow cather sader to the plane, I got a black zone on the replicated terrains, or the plan itself became a black zone.

Simple scene with just 3 distant lights, one terrain (replicated), and one plane.

Placed a realistic sky in the atmosphere but did not insert a sunlight or enable sky lighting in the render room.  Screenshots of scene setup, plane shader tree, and lighting attached.

at fist thought ut was a highway disappearing in distance

Background is basis for this WIP done for current challange.

twenty miles!

room for a death star

edited June 2019
    Mystarra said:

Another project I have been working on involves more claymation figures.  Here is the start of a claymation body.

dd01 start new toon character.JPG
    1379 x 800 - 118K
    dd02 new toon character assemble room.JPG
    1566 x 761 - 136K
    edited June 2019

A work-in-progress for a set I'm putting together.  Inspired by some ads that started showing up after I searched some vacation sites.  Suggestions for improvement welcome.

set setup01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 90K
    set setup 01.JPG
    1377 x 749 - 199K
    edited June 2019

Same with a too-simple background inserted.

same with background.jpg
    800 x 600 - 97K
    edited June 2019

Aaargh.  One of the replicators is failing to load its map, whcih accounts for some of the patchy parts.

Nonetheless, here is a closeup with a Vicky.  The top inner tile, which is vertical, appears horizontal in the render.  What is up with that?

hot tub 01.png
    800 x 600 - 850K
    edited July 2019

Ancient cities

- I've started a couple ancient city projects for the monthly challenges, but rarely finish.  I'm gathering some pieces and workflows here.  Right now, I'm sitting through a delay in a train station, which might be annoying, but does have internet.  You can get a much more organized and thorough city workflow in PhilW's advanced carrara videos.  This is a workflow I've been putting together.

1) Terrains that fit together..  One of the terrain filters is "zero edge."  I use this to add some variety to the landscape yet still have terrains that fit.  Just make sure that dimensions of the terrains match the size of the grid cells used in the replicators.  Als - have a comletely flat terrain of same dimensions.

2) Buildings for wealthier areas and less wealthy areas and for specialties such as merchant areas

3) Plants of low poly mesh with a few simple morphs.  I only have two palm trees but each has a couple morphs for variety.

3) People made from low poly mesh that can change clothes and a few simple morphs to move limbs, change hats, hair length, etc.

4) A few specialty set pieces.  I am attaching a WIP for a fountain.

aa terrains saved variety plteau filter and one completely flat.JPG
    1234 x 802 - 97K
    aa terrain zero edge stregth very low shallow edge and set dimensions as desired.JPG
    1573 x 811 - 149K
    aa buildings some wealthier some less.JPG
    1432 x 829 - 149K
    aa low poly plants but some morphs for leaves and trunks.JPG
    1595 x 804 - 176K
    aa plant mesh.JPG
    1216 x 798 - 94K
    aa people morphs move arms legs change beard hat.JPG
    1475 x 837 - 162K
    aa people mesh.JPG
    1219 x 808 - 102K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Nice Diomede - thanks for the explanations.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

zero edge..

I've never tried that...

must look into it .. thanks cool

edited August 2019

i soo don't understand this native carrara example.

the bones are in the instance tab separate from the body???

the text no longer a primitive no text editor opens.

how is it separate from the bones?

so not understanding.JPG
    1242 x 628 - 110K
    Post edited by Mistara on

i saved the text obj to the tray, the bones didn't come with it.  
    i saved the bones to the tray.
    selecting the text, the attach skeleton is greyed out.
    had an idea to make a second text string conforming to the first.
    always wondered if can make conforming clothes inside of carrara in native rigging. enlightened

RE: text animation in native browser

The text is attached to the bones, but they did not create the group.  When you attach a spline, text, plant, or metaball model to a skeleton Carrara converts the model to a vertex model.  If you select the text in the instances tray and enter the wrench room the ertex modelerwill oen with the letters.

Mystarra said:

i saved the text obj to the tray, the bones didn't come with it.  
    i saved the bones to the tray.
    selecting the text, the attach skeleton is greyed out.
    had an idea to make a second text string conforming to the first.
    always wondered if can make conforming clothes inside of carrara in native rigging. enlightened

It is possible to use "fit to" with a native rig figure and native rig clothes.  3DAge explained how.  I thought I did an example in this thread but now I can't find it.  The order of attaching the skeleton and forming the animaiton group matters for being able to use "auto fit" for native rigging but now I don't remember the correct order.  sad

complexities

carrara has so much going on, cant remember it all.

i nrbrt udrf yhr nonr yool before, i don't see how to grab the end points and move them around.

did a refresher today with the displacement brush.