Help: Strange Green Texture After Applying Hair

Hello,

I am having difficulty in applying hairs (medium to long in length) to models in Daz3d Studio. A strange, green tint appears where I believe the scalp and some of the shadows should be. I've tried looking through the forums for similar problems, but I haven't found a conclusive solution. There isn't an "applyFirst!" option supplied with the hairs, and I am using the Iray textures. These are Genesis 8 models with Genesis 8 compatible hairs. This isn't an issue that comes up with short hairs, like the default hair option that comes with Daz3d base. They appear in the final render.

I have only been using the program for around two weeks, so any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. I imagine it's something simple I've missed, and I would be happy to be the fool if it solves the issue.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

try a render and not just the viewport and see if the color is there in the actual render.

• Hello,

The attached files are from the renders. They even show up in more complete scenes like outdoor environments or hallways. The only way I have been able to prevent it from showing up is by switching from Interactive to Photoreal in the Render settings, but photoreal is so much slower that it's not a great alternative. 

• hieroglyphhieroglyph Posts: 11
    edited May 2019

Hello,

The attached files are from the renders. They even show up in more complete scenes like outdoor environments or hallways. The only way I have been able to prevent it from showing up is by switching from Interactive to Photoreal in the Render settings, but Everywhere I look this issue has cropped up and been ignored. There are no light sources, it happens in photoreal and interactive, and it happens with almost every hair type (that I've tried it with). It's only recently started happening for me, though, after a number of corrupted disk issues. All I can think of is that somewhere I'm missing some arbitrary file?

Everywhere I look this issue has cropped up and been ignored. There are no light sources, it happens in photoreal and interactive, and it happens with almost every hair type (that I've tried it with) on both genders of G8 and G3. It's only recently started happening for me, though, after a number of corrupted disk issues. All I can think of is that somewhere I'm missing some arbitrary file lost in the corruption?

green scalp bug.jpg
    1084 x 982 - 140K
    Post edited by hieroglyph on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2019

I am going to move this from Tech Help to the DS forum,  it should get more attention there. I have also edited your post to remove the reference to bumping the thread as posts which say bump will be removed.

Post edited by Chohole on

Thank you Chohole. I've recently asked around my meatspace friends and they've had similar issues, so I know it's not uncommon. I just wish I had even the smallest breadcrumb of a clue how to address it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

These are using the Iray materials? Is this the latest build of DS - 4.10.0.123 for release, or 4.11.0.366 for Public Build?

edited May 2019

These are using the Iray materials? Is this the latest build of DS - 4.10.0.123 for release, or 4.11.0.366 for Public Build?

Sorry, that would have been pertinent information. Yes, all Iray materials on (in my case) the 4.10.0.123 PRO 64-bit on Mac OSX.

I'm skeptical about shifting to the beta (even though I heard it fixes weird issues with spasming posing glitches) lest I can't switch back and have more issues rear their ugly heads.

Post edited by hieroglyph on

The beta is a separate install from the release, you can use both side-by-side.

And it still accesses my existing data folders and libraries? Because, to be honest, if to test whether the beta will address this issue I'd have to re-install or duplicate every manually-installed asset and product I'm probably not going to consider it for it very long.

If you are using the default directories it will use them immediately, if you chnaged them you need to chnage the beta's settings too - there is a script for that, as well as for copying the UI settings across if you have customised those:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/save_mapped_paths/start (run the script in 4.10.0.123, it will write another script which you run in the beta)
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/copy_ui_from_channel/start (run the script in the beta to copy the settings from 4.10.0.123)

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,116

I had the same look when I tried Iray interactive. Have you tried "Photorealistic"?

I don't know about OP, but as I said in my case it happens with both settings, hence my confusion. That has fixed a few oddities for me in the past yet here with this green nonsense it makes no difference. It might also be worth my mentioning that a similar green hue occurs in deep recesses and shadow (in crossed arms or bent knees for example), leading me to think it something to do with things (such as hair or skin) clipping other surfaces. I don't know if any of this will be of benefit, but every little helps.

If you are using the default directories it will use them immediately, if you chnaged them you need to chnage the beta's settings too - there is a script for that, as well as for copying the UI settings across if you have customised those:

Yes I'm using the default directories and settings. If there's no chance of this beta installation disrupting what I already have I'll give it a go and report back.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437
    edited May 2019

The only way I have been able to prevent it from showing up is by switching from Interactive to Photoreal

Interactive has limits and doesn't work fine with transmapped hair and transparency in general. In my opinion it doesn't even fit for preview purposes. It may be good for toons if you avoid to use alpha-maps.

I guess interactive may work fine with the new strand-based hair if you convert them to polylines.

Post edited by Padone on
  • A few experiements on my side suggest that seeing the green fringe with hair has to do with the level of translucency of the characters skin.  My guess is you are seeing the sub-surface hair elements through the translucent skin of the person.

• After a bit more playing around, I have had some success in removing the green hair fringe in Iray renders by selecting the skin surface (Surfaces Panel Editor) going to the Skin Surface element, and reducing the Translucency Weight parameter of the Skin Surface until the green fringe disappears.  Of course, the cost of doing this is less beautiful skin on the rest of the model.  So, the answer might be doing two renders, one with hair, and low Translucency Weight and another with the default skin shader settings and no hair (and no green fringe).  Then merge the two in Photoshop or similar.  Yay, yet another step in your workflow.  :P 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437

If this may help I found an old discussion stating that cutout opacity isn't enough to make the surface invisible. Then they explore other methods.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1503276/

After a bit more playing around, I have had some success in removing the green hair fringe in Iray renders by selecting the skin surface (Surfaces Panel Editor) going to the Skin Surface element, and reducing the Translucency Weight parameter of the Skin Surface until the green fringe disappears.  Of course, the cost of doing this is less beautiful skin on the rest of the model.  So, the answer might be doing two renders, one with hair, and low Translucency Weight and another with the default skin shader settings and no hair (and no green fringe).  Then merge the two in Photoshop or similar.  Yay, yet another step in your workflow.  :P 

That worked exactly as you said. I tried out the beta, it still happened there. The green fringe has been dealt with, however temporarily. Tbh the result is sufficient for me, but I see what you mean about the skin now feeling akin to porcelain. I rarely deal with close-up realistic renders anywho, so while I don't mind a little bit of extra postwork, its a victory. However unsatisfying.

The main mystery though is why it even started happening in the first place. Its a very recent occurance, literally within the week of my first posting about the issue. I've not once seen it happen before, so I'm unsure what could have changed that made the transparency of the skin react so poorly like that.

• Same issue here.

Solution:

Draw Settings>Drawing>Draw Mode>

Switch this to Potoreal.

I found mine was in Interactive and switching fixed the green

• kyagekawahira disse:

I have the same problem.. I use Daz Studio in version 4.20 pro, it has all the files updated, and it still has this problem, in this case I used male and female hair on a male character and both give this green color ,, and the same happens with a female character..

Can someone help me ?

I use this hair a lot