Daz3D 4.6 to Carrarra 8.5

jamesmuia3jamesmuia3 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi There,

I have been using DAZ 3D 4.6 and have bought content that is compatible from the Marketplace. I find that the animation tools in DAZ 3D are difficult, there's lots of quirks you have to learn to get a good animation rendered. I noticed that Carrarra 8.5 offers a better GUI for animation and updated features I may enjoy since animation is key to my projects. I was wondering if I purchase it, will I be able to load my saved DAZ 3D scenes and products I've bought off of the marketplace?

When something on the marketplace says DAZ 3D compatible, does that mean it will work with Carrarra?

Thanks for any response. Just kind of confused on what works with what.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

You may want to ask this question in the Carrara forums. They are far more versed in it then I am. I can move this thread there if you wish

• jamesmuia3jamesmuia3 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you don't mind. Thanks!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Moved to the Carrara forums

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited October 2013

I don't have C8.5, but here's a couple links that may help (as well as provide a needed "bump" for this topic so it doesn't get buried). ;-)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27874/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited October 2013

Hi There,

I have been using DAZ 3D 4.6 and have bought content that is compatible from the Marketplace. I find that the animation tools in DAZ 3D are difficult, there's lots of quirks you have to learn to get a good animation rendered. I noticed that Carrarra 8.5 offers a better GUI for animation and updated features I may enjoy since animation is key to my projects. I was wondering if I purchase it, will I be able to load my saved DAZ 3D scenes and products I've bought off of the marketplace?

When something on the marketplace says DAZ 3D compatible, does that mean it will work with Carrarra?

Thanks for any response. Just kind of confused on what works with what.

In general, Carrara can use just about anything for Poser or for Studio. I don't know about loading whole scenes from Studio (because I don't ever use Studio) but I believe it can do that; hopefully someone who regularly uses this pipeline will be able to answer. I can say that it can open whole Poser scenes. And pretty much any product that is Poser compatible will work fine in Carrara.

Carrara also is quite excellent at animation. I've just started trying my hand at animations, but I've been really very impressed with how good Carrara is with all the animating tools, and the ease of use and speed. There's an entire site and forum dedicated solely to animating in Carrara, called Carrators, you might want to check it out :)

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators

It's a new site, with lots of cool stuff. I've been having trouble trying to log back into the forums though. It lets me register and post, but then when I come back, it doesn't recognize my username anymore, so it's been a few days since I could post there... Anyway it's worth a look and could be quite a valuable resource if you're interested in animating in Carrara.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Right,
    Some things like, DS Materials and lights are not compatible. DS and Poser lights and cameras have never been compatible. But most scenery sets like city scenes, caves, castles, houses, buildings, vehicles and much more - nearly anything that you buy that works for both DS and Poser works in Carrara. Very freaking cool.

From what I was led to understand is that you can save many DS scenes as duf and load them into Carrara. I'm not sure if incompatible things would return an error upon trying to load... but more often you would end up with some element of DS that did come through would just not work correctly or not at all. I brought in a Poser scene that came with lights and, while they did work, they worked badly and had to be removed. But this is a good thing - because the tools you get in Carrara are so much better, IMHO.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Hi There,

I have been using DAZ 3D 4.6 and have bought content that is compatible from the Marketplace. I find that the animation tools in DAZ 3D are difficult, there's lots of quirks you have to learn to get a good animation rendered. I noticed that Carrarra 8.5 offers a better GUI for animation and updated features I may enjoy since animation is key to my projects.

OMG!
    Carrara's interface is all about animation! I think you need to login at Carrara Cafe to be able to read this, but here is an article I am writing called: "Carrara - The Animator's Dream Come True!"
    One of the things that has really swept me off my feet in the animation department has been Carrara's incredible Render room! There nothing more powerful than how, in Carrara, you can totally tweak the difference between lighting and shaders to entirely change the outcome of your renders. Sure... all animation rendering software does that, right? True. But Carrara can be so tweaked - and when I say tweaked, I mean that everything your tweaking seems to simply make sense. No real nomenclature issues trying to figure out what a term means... learning shaders is fun. Lighting, posing, rendering... Carrara is the ticket!
    The interface is the best ever, too.
    Here, check this out:
    Mark Bremmer's Carrara 7 Pro Tutorials
    The first 16 videos (the ones you can click on) are free and will show you around a bit.
    Here are some sample of Infinite Skills Carrara education taught by our very own, Mr. Phil Wilkes:
    Learning Carrara 8
    Advanced Carrara Techniques
    And if you still want more:
    Cripeman’s Carrara Video Tutorials Index
    Let's see...