Can I do this...with Daz?

blargyblueblargyblue Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Can I make cut scenes for a video game that I intend to sell?

That's a big assumption on my part that I ever learn how to do all of that, but what's the point of learning without a goal, right?

Can I create mesh people and animals for a virtual online world that I can sell in said virtual online world?

I am not talking about modifying things that exist I am talking about creating things from scratch, in the case of selling mesh. In the case of cut scenes I assume so far that the things Daz sells are intended for that type of thing or for making some sort of animation?

As you can see in my other post from today, I don't know what Daz is for and what you can do with it. I have seen videos people made but that doesn't tell me its end usage. Just that you can make cool videos with it, but what do you then do with them? Or what CAN you legally.

Thanks.

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Can I make cut scenes for a video game that I intend to sell?
    Yes, anything you render is OK, as long as what you include in your game is the result of the render, not the meshes.

That's a big assumption on my part that I ever learn how to do all of that, but what's the point of learning without a goal, right?

Can I create mesh people and animals for a virtual online world that I can sell in said virtual online world?

I am not talking about modifying things that exist I am talking about creating things from scratch, in the case of selling mesh. In the case of cut scenes I assume so far that the things Daz sells are intended for that type of thing or for making some sort of animation?

As you can see in my other post from today, I don't know what Daz is for and what you can do with it. I have seen videos people made but that doesn't tell me its end usage. Just that you can make cool videos with it, but what do you then do with them? Or what CAN you legally.

Thanks.

DAZ Studio is not a modeling app, but Hexagon is. DS if for posing & rendering. What you model in Hexagon can be used.
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

If your ultimate goal is to make 3D games may I suggest checking out Blender3D and MakeHuman.

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

http://www.makehuman.org/

• blargyblueblargyblue Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I want to thank you both.

I am in pre school with this stuff. What does 'rendering' mean? What does it mean that what I render is OK but not the meshes? Doesn't it all come from meshes the application gives us? To begin with I mean.

I have a very hard time with Blender. There are videos but most assume a basic knowledge or a history with such applications. I have none.

But I really want to do this.

The issue I have is, I am a kinetic learner. I learn by doing. If I am trying to teach myself that is a disaster unless I have years to practice. As a child that's one thing but well into adult years...highly frustrating and time wasting.

Ideally I would find videos which allow me to do while viewing. Just like in a real time class, preferably one on one tutoring. Or I'd like to find one on one real time tutoring online which didn't cost a fortune (Hey I can dream.)

This could also save our bacon since as of a while we are jobless.

So Daz Studio is for posing - what is the use of posing something? So that's why people buy premade figures and furniture and props and scenery? But then you can't use those in your video game if I understand correctly. So - please take this as the honest question it is - what is the purpose of Daz Studio? What do people use it for?

Thanks for any info or help.

edited December 1969

Hello

I just wanted to say I installed Make Human from your link above and it installed MALWARE on my computer.

I now have to spend the morning trying to figure out how to remove it.

I have a MAC so it may not have installed completely but who knows if it can send itself to my friends who don't have Macs.

I now have a permanent "Clean Your PC" RegClean thingy on my toolbar. I can't get rid of it.

When I installed Make Human, Foxfire did seem to warn me but I wasn't sure, since I trusted this forum.

It seemed like a legitimate website. It is freeware.

RegClean has an address in India and no way to opt out. I UNchecked everything a pop up asked me, as far as allowing any sort of permission including to put something on my toolbar but I thought that was for Make Human. No, all that comes up is RegClean.

So NOW what do I do. Besides curse softly to myself?

edited December 1969

I now see that RegClean Pro also completely faked and redid my browser toollbar so that it looks like legit buttons but they are not. They don't look the same as the old buttons and have weird names on the drop down like n or MAM or AKAWA.

What's worse I can't find anything online about how to fix this. Everything is to fix when someone has it installed on their PC. Since I have a Mac none of those fixes apply here.

However it has infected my browser so obviously it's spyware...and I can't go anywhere and log in or it has my password.

Just to let others know. I'm trying not to get too upset because I realize people don't intend to post malware links. But maybe check links out every so often and make sure they are clean?

edited December 1969

OH and by the way best of all - it did not even install Make Human. I ran a search for makehuman and make human on my Mac and it's nowhere to be found.

So what DID I install and how do I get rid of what I cannot find.

Again please periodically check any links posted or websites recommended if you can - so that this doesn't happen to people?

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

The makehuman site appears to have big banner ads with download buttons. Kind of sneaky, but I suspect that the website itself doesn't control the ads that get put in that space. Maybe you clicked one of those instead of the actual download link?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

OH and by the way best of all - it did not even install Make Human. I ran a search for makehuman and make human on my Mac and it's nowhere to be found.

So what DID I install and how do I get rid of what I cannot find.

Again please periodically check any links posted or websites recommended if you can - so that this doesn't happen to people?

That's has Scott says nothing to do with MakeHuman, but with the Russian maffia buying legal advertising space into Advert networks. that tricks users to click on thier download button instead of the real one, has been going on for a decade now.

When you say "in your toolbar", do you mean "The menu bar" for Mac OS X or the "toolbar " in Safari?

edited December 1969

Hi -

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't get a photo of what was going on, I ran out of things to try and asked my husband, who has more computer knowledge, to look at it. I honestly didn't think of taking a screen capture before that.

There was a big green button installed on my Firefox browser, along with some that blended into the background color of the Firefox browser toolbar. On the drop down list of apps installed on the toolbar they had nonense names. I could hide them but it didn't fix the problem: it was still messing up my toolbar.

For instance it changed my home page in Firefox from google to bing. And everything just looked wrong and different in the browser. So it took over my browser. That must be what it does if you have Mac, not a PC. This might be helpful info out there for someone.

Virus scans revealed nothing but I read that is the case with RegClean. It masquerades as a legit app. Also it may not have installed under its name. Computer search also revealed nothing by the name RegClean or Make Human or MakeHuman had installed.

So after the virus scans, he uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. I don't feel secure that it's completely gone...and I wish I knew how to check everything is functioning normally.

What RegClean apparently does is keep interrupting you on the computer until you give in and fork over $40 for their product. They claim their product stops malware but their product it seems, IS the malware. Some say it's a virus, some say it's spyware or malware. It's all but impossible to get rid of if you do install it.

Nothing asked me if I wanted RegClean. I'd never install an app like that. I also unchecked permissions to install everything when a pop up appeared after I installed Make Human (I thought), and restarted Firefox. Nothing went wrong until I restarted Firefox, which is when it said it would have completed installation of Make Human.

I clicked the link someone posted for Make Human. When I typed it into the browser just now the site looked different. So I don't know for sure what happened.

It is possible an ad covered the legit app and I installed that...I remember a big download button. I don't see that on the real website. This is really weird.

Just please be wary of the site because this isn't a good thing. Thanks.

edited October 2013

Oh and the big green button said something like "ask me questions" and when I clicked that to try to see how to delete or uninstall it, it said RegClean Pro.

Also after I restarted Firefox, as described above (which I thought was completing installation of Make Human), that first time: at the same time the big green button appeared (before I clicked the button), a page for RegClean Pro appeared and wanted me to download and buy it. That's the weird part: I thought if it just installed itself onto my browser toolbar why is it asking me to install and buy it? None of it made sense. It all happened quickly even though Firefox had suppressed some of the pop ups I think. There was one pop up that happened right after Firefox restarted, that wouldn't go away until clicked OK on. But again since I had just installed something I thought legit I didn't worry about that. I thought it was trying to get me to 'like' it on facebook, and promote it, which many things do, these days. Because that appeared to be what that pop up was asking. And before I clicked OK to get rid of it, I said no to all its questions.

(The pop up which came up after I had restarted Firefox had options such as: share information; like on facebook; post to toolbar; inform of updates; etc. All were checked and I unchecked every single one. It installed onto my toolbar, anyway. I didn't think to look at Safari, to see if it got onto that too, until too late, after my husband was done trying to fix things.)

When I looked at the page (the RegClean page, which wouldn't go away), it had an address in India plus a phone number and email. I'm glad now I didn't email them and decided to google for them first.

As it gradually sunk in something bad had just latched onto my computer I got more and more upset despite trying to stay calm. I was calm on the outside but not inside.

I wish apps wouldn't allow things like this to put banners on their sites if that was what happened. It didn't look like a banner and said nothing about RegClean or any other app. It looked like the page to download Make Human modeling freeware.

I'm fairly wary online and this one got me, just lucky I don't have a PC, but, I'm still not breathing easy since I'm not sure it isn't hiding somewhere and about to do who knows what. (sigh)

Especially if you have a PC please beware of that site...or at the very least, the link posted.

Post edited by blargyblue on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Rather say, learn to be wary of big green download buttons on sites you don't know, Always check what you are downloading before allowing the download to start.

edited October 2013

The big green button installed itself on my browser, it wasn't what I clicked. It was just a full page that looked legit with a button that said download, on it. Looked normal.

The download said the name of the download I wanted - so I'm still unsure how it happened but that particular malware is notorious for hiding and being tricksy with appearances and names and stuff. That's how they get so many people.

Post edited by blargyblue on